Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

escape artist posted:

I don't think he lives because of Omar's promise to Bunk, but rather, because Omar believed Slim. At that point, Omar's promise to Bunk has been nullified in Omar's mind.

Omar also executes Savino on principle in public. At that point he couldn't care less about his promise to Bunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Long nails are useful for weed and coke. Also keeping them long and well-kept shows wealth and class without being flashy like jewellery. I think at some point it just became a fashion thing. A lot of rappers and NBA players have long / manicured nails these days.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Poot was an idiot.
Nearing yet another rewatch of S1 and for the life of me I cannot grasp what Poot's "position" was in the scheme of the game. Beyond not keeping his mouth shut about others to his superiors.

In rank or mentality? In rank he was a street level dealer, with the responsibilities of selling to customers and being local security. Under him were the younger children who transport drugs and cash between the local stash and the dealer. He works in shifts, and might also be tasked with guarding a stash-house. That's where he is when Omar first robs the Barksdales. Poot is the same rank as Bodie and Wallace, but Wallace is lower in status because he's younger and less committed to the organisation. Poot answers directly to D'Angelo, who answers to Stringer.

After killing Wallace and D'Angelo is arrested, Poot is given D'Angelo's old job running the low rises. He now answers to Bodie, who is charge of one of the towers.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Dongattack posted:

I'm rewatching the show for like the 11th time i'm sure, but it's a really complicated show so every time i do i catch something i'd missed or don't understand. How come (in season 1) Barksdale &co gave money to politicians? Money laundering in some way? Bribes? But bribes for what?

In Sudhir Venkatesh's* Gang Leader For A Day, Chicago gang leaders in the 80s had to pay bribes to local politicians and aldermen in order to keep operating in public housing towers. It helps avoid attention from the police and H.U.D. Like castles, the power of the Barksdale Organisation came from their control of the high-rise and low-rise projects. The demolition in S3 mirrors the collapse of "corporate " style drug dealers who ran massive organizations out of inner-city projects.

The money is also laundered back into local community centres and events. It served the interests of both drug gangs and local politicians to acts as substitutes for the lack of public services. Funding boxing gyms, picnics, child care etc. is cheap PR.

* Sudhir is the guy who watched S5 of The Wire with a group of veteran gangsters.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

It's the Baltimore homicide department, I imagine it's the only way you can cope with the job especially on a scale like that, to try to distance yourself from the humanity of it. It's why they're all alcoholics too (McNulty's just the worst/hitting his bottom earlier).

They go into this in Homicide. There's an episode where a tourist is killed in front of her family during a botched robbery. The grieving husband (played by Robin Williams) catches the homicide detectives mocking him, and he's of course furious.

The Lieutenant has to calm him down by pointing out that they have to deal with hundreds of senseless murders a year, and that its the only way they can stay sane and productive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrB1_iRDp8g&t=327s

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

We on that poo poo like a 40 degree fever!

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

bucketybuck posted:

As he so eloquently said to Dukie, "poo poo got old".

Those aren't the words of a man tormented by his memories, just a guy who recognised that the time had come to move on.

If you think about it as well, Poot was living in a squat trying to earn his living selling drugs on a corner. It wouldn't be easy at all to be in that situation but then find, get and keep a real job, but you see Poot in that shoe store and you get the sense that he will be running it soon enough. Man knows how to graft.

Poot also had the age and experience where he could finally start make some decent money working for another drug organisation. The low ranking corner kids made practically nothing, but they were baited with the promise of glory and rapid advancement. It takes some real willpower to start again at square one with a minimum wage retail job, knowing that you could leave it any day and make fast money with illegal activities. In that way he's also another cycle of Cutty; choosing a humble life and helping kids after learning some bitter life lessons.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

There's also the dark irony that Namond gets this opportunity because he's disruptive in school and relatively middle class by the standards of his peers. The other three boys in their clique are better behaved and have far worse home environments, and they're stuck in the cyclical underclass.

Namond deserves an opportunity as much as anyone, but Bunny is only aware he exists because he's a spoilt prick who ends up in the special class.

goodog fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Aces High posted:

as someone who isn't American is there a tl;dr explanation for why the Marines are even doing what they do in GK? Actually, I'm sure there's no short way to answer that since I'm sure it has a long history but I have never quite understood why the Marine Corps is effectively a 4th branch as opposed to the land- fighting branch of the Navy like it is in basically every other country that has a marine force of some kind

Being superfluous is kind of the selling point. A Marine task force is meant to be a self-contained army that can operate for weeks without logistical assistance. This is why in GK they're constantly complaining about running out of supplies.

1st Recon was chosen as the vanguard because of their leader General Mattis, a name you might remember from the Trump administration. The Force Recon units in GK are meant to be elite scouts and infiltrators. Scuba diving, covert beach landings, jumping out of airplanes etc.

Instead they were put in unarmored humvees and were told to drive through towns setting off ambushes. They were only given a month to learn how to drive them. Cpl Person didn't even have the operator's license when he was made lead driver of the convoy.