Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm not here to read any posts as we're only in S2 and I don't wanna be spoiled

But

What do you get when you cross Jack Nicholson with Burt Young?
Frank Sobotka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

2 episodes left to S4. Seems to be a pattern of S1&3 being really good and the ones directly following them being kind of letdowns, though 4 seems to be setting up to conclude nicely. I really like the show, a lot of charming characters (and a lot of ones I hate), sometimes too many people in play at times. Surprised people hold it up alongside (or above) the Sopranos though.

Barksdales were great villains, Marlo seemed to have the makings of being interesting but thus far his whole crew is just bland or annoying mostly.

The thing that really strikes me, I really like movies and music and such that have to do with american black culture. But this show has driven home in a way I've scarcely experienced just how ruthless and hopeless it really is. I keep thinkin back to the kid taking the stray bullet from that shootout. And now with the school angle and the program Colvin has going, seeing their home lives, even with the resistance they face from the kids it makes me wish I could do something myself to help in real life. Then you got Namond's mom. gently caress that bitch.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So, I'm assuming those who were in the Sopranos thread saying this was its equal were doing it out of some ongoing prank where you get tricked into watching this and then have to beset someone else with the same curse?

Okay, thats going too far, but its honestly not even close to the Sopranos. S5 was a complete waste, the newspaper stuff might have worked if it had been worked in from the beginning or at least some season other than the shortened finale. The initial slew of characters were all so well developed and thought out, later ones (Like Marlo and his crew) were just bare. I feel like you must be in an alternate universe reading the praise for S2 on the last page. And 4 being the best? Come on.

Not even gonna touch the serial killer stuff. Between that and Omar supermanning out the window, apparently breaking only his leg but just walking it off after a day only to wind up meeting his end as he did, man does this last season ever leave a bad taste in my mouth. And in one sense I get it, thats the game, ain't no happy endings in this poo poo. All throughout I appreciated how gritty and raw and unpleasant a lot of the street stuff was, that felt authentic. Its not like I expected gift wrapped happy endings across the board, but a whole lot better than what we got. Namonds on the debate team but Duquan is a junkie now? Certainly the white guys present in the big bust were part of the Greek's organization, why would they suddenly be willing to deal with whats left after, when they were so close to the chest before?

Most of my frustration is at the final two seasons, especially 5. And maybe its not a great time to have watched the show. The whole world has been getting progressively worse for the last 5 years, I dont need another harsh dose of reality. Haha!, the bullshit writer wins his prize, but Daniels (they never do say exactly whats in that file precisely do they?) has to resign? The Polak is the new comissioner? Carccetti forced to deal with Davis, who also comes away scot free? Levy suffers no consequences from his leak incriminating him, and Marlo is just instantly up in the high rises suited up dealing with the big shots after being allowed to walk on the charges?

Reactionary post, I apologize. I was just expecting so much more this whole time.