Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Aishan posted:

It's never outright stated, but it's insinuated that when he was younger and lot more foolish he pocketed money seized from drug raids, much like we see Herc and Carver doing during the series.

It also implicates that Carver, becoming a better cop by learning from the people who actually care and are competent in police work, will suffer the same fate as Daniels if he ever gets involved in the politics and goes into the position of Major or above, being actually able to change how the system works.

The game stays the same; Carver will get eaten by the mistakes made when he did not know better, similarly as Stringer got killed when he tried to change the nature of his drug empire, or when Marlo tried to enforce brutal approach to quell any competition. New generation, same old poo poo. The game stays the same no matter who are the key players.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't think Carver is in as quite a precarious situation though, is he? He never actually got caught stealing drug money as far as I can remember, the only thing he ever really got caught doing was spying on the Major Crimes Unit for the bosses in Season 1, and even that was just a private "listen up, you piece of poo poo" speech from Daniels.

Daniels had written evidence that could be used to blackmail him, but I don't think Carver has anything similar; he might survive if he plays the game well enough.

I edited my post after your reply, but I still think the key elements are there: stealing money, cutting corners (Fuzzy Dunlop), being involved in the Hamsterdam affair and similar stuff. There probably is enought things to politically bury Carver even without any official FBI investigation.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Lugaloco posted:

I was just about to bring this up. Carver, as far as we're aware, never had any written evidence against him. Daniels was in a much worse situation after he moved from the Eastern District with an FBI investigation forever hanging over him.

Well, there never was enough evidence against Daniels to bring charges, but enough to smoke him out. Being the drug enforcement sergeant in the district that basically legalized drugs isn't going to win any votes is it?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

bucketybuck posted:

I really don't think Carver's situation is really the same as Daniels. Carver has nothing on him, nothing that anybody could really use.

Daniels thought he and Herc had stolen money, but that money was returned in the end and I very much doubt Daniels reported it, nobody would even know about it except those three.

"Fuzzy Dunlop", Herc took the fall for that, if Carver was implicated at all internal affairs would have done something about it at the time, again I bet his name isn't anywhere near it.

"Hamsterdam", again Bunny Colvin very publicly took the fall there. Daniels having his bank account searched is very different to Carver just being employed at the same time as a Major went rogue.

Daniels file held the results of an FBI investigation where they even went into his bank accounts, thats a different level to the spurious things we can connect to Carver from watching the show.

I tend to agree to a point, but political weapon is not the same thing as legal charge.

I do not want to be a spoilsport, I really liked the Carver story-arch. However, without the aspect of being "somewhat tainted because of being in the system" goes against many things David Simon tends to promote in his work: institutions do not work for most of the time, and institutions cannot change because working for one makes you follower of the institution's rules, or makes you an outcast who cannot affect the way things work beyond personal level. Also, in politics, something like "being soft on crime" makes you weak: Carver allowed Hamsterdam to happen on his district, therefore he is incompetent or unwilling to stand up against "criminal behavior", no matter who took the blame originally.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MrBling posted:

That is still one of my favourite things about the whole Stringer arc. He's out there trying to be all business like, getting away from the street and then he finds out that Clay Davis has been playing him and he just snaps right back to the gangbanger mindset.

Also realising for the first time that even if Stringer tries to be the "smart one" and get some education to become a businessman, almost everyone near him outsmarts him in some way; Avon for pointing out the money sources to avoid police wire, Slim on how loving stupid idea it is to order a hit on a US senator, Clay Davis swindles his money, Omar sets him up for a trap and finally, even the BP is able to get solid evidence on his connections to the game.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ithaqua posted:

I saw it in a slightly different way... not as a sign of stupidity, just as a sign that he's not as much of a "businessman" as he'd like to be. When push comes to shove, he still reacts the same way as a low-level dealer: Angry outbursts and violence.

Well obviously not "stupid stupid" but still, less intelligent and cunning than what he lead himself to believe, and that basically caused everything that happened (or almost happened) to him.

Anyway, I completely agree with your take, since he almost immediately ran out of "businessman options", he switched back to street mentality.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

freebooter posted:

...no competent businessman would ever buy or sell stocks based on the lone observation of what a single ghetto kid was doing with his phones...

Isn't this the exact point? Stringer is not a businessman, and in no way a competent one. He just plays one with the Barksdale money and acts as what he believes businessman are doing, and since he doesn't take advice from Levy, he is more or less swindled by every convincing white collar crook he runs into.

The same theme appears in the apartment raid-scene, where Bell's house is filled with tacky and expensive businessman poo poo, combined with the "classical" leadership/businessman literature.

He has no idea, he just tries to impress his soldiers and acts like the businessmen he has seen, without any critical thought or idea on what he is doing.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BTW if you pay close attention to the scene where they come up with the idea of several brand names and fake competition, it is Bodie who comes up with the actual implementable ideas, Stringer is more or less just parroting the things said on the lectures.

Well, OK it was Stringers idea in the first place to talk about that stuff. Also I guess that the New Day Co-op was Stringer's idea but how much of that was Prop Joe's influence is never talked about in detail. So overall, I guess he *did* learn something, but still was far away from being competent.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

stringer is smarter, that's why he's at the top of the organization. the problem is that he's prone to believing he's smarter than he really is (many smart people do this) and he's so hooked into the idea of being a business mogul that he spends more time presenting as a mogul than actually being one

Stringer has the resources to play the "smart guy" even when he clearly isn't one. Bodie, Avon and Slim are the actually smart ones.

Edit: Bodie clearly understands the game and is actually very reasonable character who got killed because of unfortunate chain of events. Avon is clearly on top of his game and would have stayed there without BPD focusing on him and Slim is one of the soldiers who ends up running an outfit because he is smart enough to actually select his battles and allies.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 14, 2015

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

Haha what a jarring thing to watch a S4 episode, then flip the channel to see Bodie and Norman Wilson in Pootie Tang .

First thing i saw was Froggy (Bodie) riding the hood of Dirty Dee's (Norman) car, then Dirty Dee eating a handful of dirt. I love that movie so much but just never made the connection.

Edit:
I forgot how much i like S4. The kids are fantastic. And Chris / Snoop.

There are a couple of really jarring Law&Order (Orig., SVU don't remember) episodes where half of the non-regulars are from the cast of Wire. I really suspect that it wasn't intentional casting choice.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

One of my favorite things about the show is that for years to come, Omar will be remembered and feared by everyone on the streets but all Marlo managed to do was have a short reign of terror and he gets forgotten pretty much the minute he's forced off the streets. In the end, Omar wins.

I also like that it is heavily implied that Marlo will gently caress up his cabinet deal of being untouchable because of his bad temper, and will become just another rear end in a top hat incarcerated with life without parole. No two days in jail for him.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

bucketybuck posted:

Is it though? What part of the case made him get drunk every night, repeatedly cheat on his wife, take advantage of Rhonda and basically treat everybody else like his own personal stepping stone? Its not like he was under any pressure at work considering the vast majority of the time his bosses just wanted him to shut the gently caress up and stop causing trouble.

His work didn't gently caress up his personal life, like everything else the root cause of his problems boil down to one thing, he is an rear end in a top hat.

He is the type of person who's work life is his personal life, and everything revolves around it. He is an rear end in a top hat, and thinks he is so good at his job he is invincible and untouchable by anyone else. Daytime drinking and cheating are just his way of trying to assert his supremacy over everyone else.

He is the kind of guy who thinks he is the hot poo poo, but in reality in terms of performance just above average, and on a constant verge of being thrown out because of being a hindrance to the overall productivity. Every larger workplace has one, and always on the "upper non-management staff".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mr. Prokosch posted:

That poo poo reminds me of something a relative of mine who was kind of connected to drug/gang poo poo told me. Ex-military guys are really valuable. They have very relevant training personally and they can pass a lot of it on, they have some discipline, they're often comfortable with killing people. They're also often easy to recruit for the same reason a lot of veterans are homeless. A young veteran or two coming back to your run down neighborhood is a dream come true.

Chris always struck me as a veteran and a real boon to the Stanfield organization.

Isn't one of the largest current drug cartels basically a law enforcement spec ops division switching to a more lucrative business?