Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

I just now finished my first watch of this show, and god drat.

Afterwords I looked up everyone on IMDB, to see where they landed. Uh, didn't know that Snoop (in the show as Snoop Pearson) is...actually named Felicia Pearson, and is actually from the streets, and actually loving killed a guy :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Alright, I'm gonna ask: Is Snoop (the character and not the person) meant to be a sociopath? For me, that's what held Season 5 together: the dramatic irony was that there were actual serial killers on the loose - Chris and Snoop - it's just that they were killing black men, with the somewhat hamfisted message seeming to be that people care more about the deaths of homeless white men than of black males, especially if it's perceived to be connected to the drug trade.

Snoop is portrayed as gaining satisfaction and pride from her work, but as having no other side - she has no family and isn't depicted as having any friends, much unlike the camaraderie we see between D, Bodie, Poot and Wallace, or even between hardened killers like Avon and Slim Charles. She doesn't show any interest in the money Marlo pays her, she wears plain clothing, uses plain guns (in contrast to Bird's fancy piece from season 1), only uses a "company car" and doesn't seem to live anywhere. She's impressed by Michael's budding martial abilities, but doesn't seem even the slightest bit unsettled when driving him out to murder him. She laughs after Chris brutally murders Bug's father, only asking why he didn't wait until the body was in the vacant before killing him, not why he'd done it. Oh, and, she also kills like 30 people. There's that, too.

Chris, on the other hand, obviously isn't a sociopath. Gbenga Akinnagbe is brilliant, communicating the empathy and even compassion Chris has for Michael with just a handful of glances. The scene where Chris realizes why Michael wants Bug's dad murdered is amazing, because it only takes one brief shot to make the audience understand exactly where Chris is coming from. Chris has a family who he misses and wants to keep safe. For someone with relatively few lines and comparatively simple dialogue, Chris is a fantastic character. I love this show.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

perpetulance posted:

They probably made him 28 because living to 38 with his job would be drat near impossible.

The coroner puts him at 34 in S5. And you never know, you know that rough looking dude that works muscle for Butchy? That's the "real" Omar. Andrews, I think his name was, unfortunately dead of natural causes now. A long prison stint got him out of the stick up game and he spent the rest of his life trying to make positive changes in cities stricken with the drug trade.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Bleh Maestro posted:

He was actually blind right? Is that how he became blind or was it age?

Don't know - not Butch, Butch's muscle. You first see him when he gears Omar up for a shivvin' in jail.He's killed when Omar raids the 5th floor apartment.

Kevyn posted:

Which reminds me, I knew Ed Norris the homicide detective was played by Ed Norris the ex-BPD commish, but I didn't know he was actually still the sitting commissioner when they filmed Season 1. That rules.

Art imitates life or???

quote:

In December 2003, Norris was indicted on three charges by U.S. Attorney Thomas DiBiagio. Two of the counts charged Norris had made illegal personal expenditures of over $20,000 to pay for expensive gifts, personal expenses, and extramarital affairs with at least six women from the Baltimore Police Department’s supplemental account.[2] The third count alleged that he had lied on a mortgage application, stating that approximately $9,000 he received from his father was a gift, when it was actually a loan.

Norris was investigated by the US Attorney of Maryland for abuse of a non-taxpayer funded expense account. While looking for violations, it was discovered that Norris borrowed $9,000 from his father for a home purchase. Norris and his father signed gift letters stating the money was a gift. It was discovered that Norris had returned the money to his father at a later date, which at that point the gift became a loan. Norris was then indicted for making a false statement on a mortgage application.

In a plea agreement, the mortgage charge was dropped in exchange for a guilty plea of abusing the expense account, which Norris had denied. On March 8, 2004 Norris pled guilty to federal corruption and tax charges.[3] Norris was sentenced to six months in federal prison in Yazoo City, Mississippi and Atlanta, Georgia, to be followed by three years of supervised probation and ordered to perform 500 hours of community service. The case alleged lavish gifts and meals were given to friends and girlfriends. However, when it came time for restitution to be made for all gifts purchased, the government requested $100.[citation needed]

Despite the guilty plea, Norris has publicly maintained his innocence saying that the case was politically motivated and the guilty plea was forced because of his mortgage issue. In an October 9, 2006 newspaper article Norris admitted to using the money from the alleged accounts, but said that he paid it back in full before he left office to take the position of Maryland State Police Superintendent. "Even things that weren’t questionable I paid back."[4] After Norris’ indictment, the prosecutor was forbidden by the US Department of Justice from public corruption cases due to an uncovered e-mail message stating that he wanted more front page indictments by Election Day. Once this message became public, he was fired for what the government described as "a lack of judgment and lack of candor.

From the Wikipedia. I had no idea.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Smudgie Buggler posted:

What? This is Chris's motivation for defending and sympathising with Michael? I thought it was very clear that Chris is himself a victim of child abuse of some kind, if not outright rape.

Looking back at my post, it's unclear - I meant Chris' motivation for being a hitman for a drug lord to begin with, as opposed to Snoop, who just seems to kind of enjoy it. I'm just kind of rambling on how much I like the actor :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Check out Marlo's reaction to learning that Chris is going to be sacrificed and spend the rest of his life in jail - it isn't panic or fear at being without the guy who gives him direction, it's an almost casual shrugging of,"Well I guess that's just the way things are" He respects Chris, he likes Chris, but he doesn't think he NEEDS Chris, because he's a guy convinced entirely that a real man/gangster pushes to the top and stays there through sheer force of individual effort.

I thought about this for a while, and yeah, it really does seem like Chris is the real power behind the Stanfield operation - which I really didn't notice until reading your write ups. As soon as Marlo has to start operating independently of Chris, he's utterly lost. He doesn't have even the slightest sense of what to do to exploit his new situation, ditching major opportunities at that fancy shindig to go fight in the street. Avon, on the other hand, immediately begins running Jessup without any help from Stringer.

Marlo has the ambition and ruthlessness to order mass executions and hijack Prop Joe's operation, Chris has the wisdom to execute it properly. I guess that's the key difference: Chris doesn't want anything. I mean, he wants to take Michael under his wing, he wants to provide for his family, but that's all. He doesn't even look too unhappy that he's going to jail for the rest of his life. Wee-Bay at least knew his family would be provided for and he'd be made comfortable, so he's happy, but Chris? I didn't read much of a reaction.