Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I just noticed that in the first bar scene with Bunk and Jimmy the jukebox is playing Gram Parsons' "Streets of Baltimore". How did I never notice this, I love Gram Parsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Brodie's one of the most depressing deaths in the entire series. Especially when you remember that even Pootmanaged to get out of the game and start shilling at the local footlocker. Bodie :smith:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Was that the order it happened? I don't remember exactly how it went, it's been a while since I got all the way through the series. I have his horrendous habit of having to start from the beginning of the series.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
One is the best for (Blind Boys of Alabama) and two is pretty great since it's actually the Tom Waits version.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Rawls wears a ring, has pictures of himself, a kid, and an older woman on his desk. I noticed it in my rewatch of episode... S1E6? When McNulty is giving him the breaks in the cases he and Bunk have been working. Rawls may be bisexual, or he may be just married to fit in. Regardless of that, Rawls is probably a hardass no matter where he is. Like McNulty is always McNulty where ever he is.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

escape artist posted:

I like men but that doesn't mean I don't want a wife and kids. This kind of ambiguity is always why I wish they explored Rawls' character just a little more... not expose him to the world, as I thought would happen in a newspaper article in Season 5... just for the viewer's sake.

Also, remember, he's probably the only white guy to toss around the word "friend of the family", yet when we see him, he's in a primarily black gay bar. Lends credence to the "he was trying to throw people off the trail" theory. Maybe he was just in denial himself. From my own experience, the person's opinion you dread the most, regarding your non-heterosexuality... is you.

I wonder if David Simon or any one else from the show ever thought the show would be discussed to this extent, or on subjects as wide ranging as this.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There's even a bit in one of the commentaries where David Simon remarks on how the only 'functional' relationship we see in Season 1 was the gay couple.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

escape artist posted:

Well, remember, Kima tried to become a paralegal or something in the law-office field. She just said to Cheryl that she didn't have a passion for it, unlike being a police.

I think he forgot Brandon and Omar... But we quickly saw Kima's relationship devolve throughout the seasons.

Yeah, but Brandon and Omar don't exactly last since Brandon doesn't make it halfway into the season. We see Kima's relationship evolve over the seasons until it also cracks. But I think the commentary is just talking about in regards to season one. McNulty's is hosed, the Bunk sleeps around, both of Dee's relationships are hosed. I think by the end of the first season the only realtionship we've seen that's in a good or stable state is Kima's.

Actually I think her girlfriend wanted Kima to become a full on lawyer. Kima Greggs Esquire.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

escape artist posted:

Carver (making fun of Herc's transparent and stupid attempt at picking her up): Hi, I'm Thomas, want some coffee? (while she holds coffee in her hand)

Herc: I was going to ask her for her panties to make some soup with, but I thought she'd take it the wrong way

Carver: *Horrified look on his face*

This is one of my favorite scenes from the whole series. Herc and Carver were pretty classic all the time.

Don't Herc and Carver make good breaks in Seasons 1 and 2? I just remembered Herc figured out the tower stash in S1 after Kima got shot.

Also I forgot how adorable it is when McNulty sends his kids to follow Stringer Bell.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 27, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

escape artist posted:

There is a main character :colbert: and its name is Baltimore.

Baltmer. :colbert:

In related news, Bodie and Poot shooting Wallace is so goddamn. :smith:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So i just watched Horseface steal the southeast district's surveillance van. Its probably just a bit of editing to cut down on time, but it looks the stripped wires are already hanging down for Horse to hotwire the van. But i like to think its a kind of statement about the BPD that the cops have to hotwire their vans, or that they've been stolen before but nobody could be bother to fix the damage.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

CaptainHollywood posted:

Just finished the last two episodes of season one. I still gotta say, that scene with Dee at the station is still one of my favorites of the series.

Which scene specifically?

One of those two has one of my favorite quotes McNulty and Daniels are in the car, following Dee, when Dee goes home to get changed before he goes to pick up the drugs from the city. McNulty notes this and Daniels says "Boy had to get himself correct."

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think it's partially the sense that Brother does not give two fucks about putting a bullet into someone and won't hesitate to do so if he feels it's necessary. And generally speaking, it probably is considering where he is. Much like Omar. Someone brought up in the BWE thread that part of what makes gangsters gangsters is that they don't hesitate to go all in when it comes to violence. That when it comes to fighting they go straight for the throat, metaphorically speaking, and will probably start the fight that way. When Cheese and his boys come up to Brother, Brother has no problem immediately putting (intentionally nonlethal) holes in him, and is completely ready to follow up with actual bullets. Similar to Omar. Additionally, there's their reputation to consider. People are scared goddamn shitless of Omar and Brother, and it goes a long way for both of 'em. What does Omar say? "Sometimes a name is all you need?" Same with Brother. He scares off Cheese and everyone takes a step back and knows that Brother isn't to be trifled with. And the people in charge realise that he's not trifling motherfucker who will put a bullet in them if they go after him.

Also I love that Brother does his own wildcatting/reloading.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
He had a whole system for betting on horse races, and he was up like sixteen thousand dollars if I remember correctly. But he was a somewhat stubborn old man with a sense of honor about stuff. He was in the ship builders union or whatever it would be as he mentions to Nick that they double-hulled a ship that Nick was just working on, and is kinda offended when Nick says "she still floats". The union presumably closed down completely in Baltimore.

Also, Omar in court is the best goddamn thing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I can only imagine the FBI wouldve snatched up the prosecution or something so they could do it as they liked. Or they probably had some preplanned idea, but would certainly do everything they could to help the Greek from being captured

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I always loved how Bodie figuring out what entrapment was got him out of Hamsterdam easily and endeared him to McNulty for all time.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

chesh posted:

How does "lake trout" fit in to the whole "lenten fish sandwich" thing? Honestly, I grew up in Northern California, and this whole fish fry/fish sandwich thing on the east/atlantic/mid-atlantic was a weird thing to get used to.

It's the part that goes between the bread.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Omar wasn't intended to be such a large presence that he ended up being. The writers responded to feedback from the fans.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
He explains outright that he used to go to the airport and listen to the tones people used on their long distance calling cards. Then he'd go and sell those numbers to people so they could make long distances calls on someone else's dime.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If you notice though, you almost never see the dock guys use the n-word to refer to anybody but drug dealers or otherwise gangsters, never to their own. Except for one scene with Frank thing bout the canal to the other union head.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Herd is too much of an idiot for the most part to be really evil. If he had been able to stick with Kima Carver for a longer period he'd have turned out better.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

escape artist posted:

That's Steve Earle. He's got a new album coming out soon. He's a loving music legend.

I saw him back in October? Maybe September. Dude has the goddamn most eclectic selection of music and such a strange variety of fans. And he puts on a good show.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
And cocaine too. Steve Earle owns.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

escape artist posted:

No, they're the same thing, and it's really off-putting for Atheist addicts like myself who have to bow their heads and pray for God to give us strength, etc.

Step #1 is to admit you're powerless over your addiction... Step #2 is to turn yourself over to a higher power. So I guess, by that logic, I should just... turn myself over to painkillers and liquor?

You could always be snarky and go for Gravity or some other constant type thing. It really rubs me the wrong way that these groups are so inherently religious and there is not religious alternative. :v:

Ziggy is such a sad story too. Did Nicky's deal help him any? I hope so. BTW, he's also excellent Generation Kill, which David Simon and Ed Burns are also responsible for. It's probably recommended in here before. It's a short, seven~ hour miniseries about the invasion of Iraq in '03 and it's excellent.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also, in more actors in different shows chat, Chris Bauer and Gbenga Akinnagbe are both in an episode of Fringe. Though they're both more computer hacker types than anything resembling them on the Wire. My friend was rewatching the show and it reminded me of it so I thought I'd share.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Landsman himself is in the show, playing the Lieutenant in the Western who is works directly for Bunny. That tall guy with the mustache? That's Landsman.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I always hear it as Bawlmer.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

escape artist posted:

Bunk is also based on a real person. So is Avon -- the deacon (Melvin Williams) is actually the guy Ed Burns locked up, and was the basis for the story of Avon.

If you can track down the episode, look up the American Gangster episode with Melvin Williams.

There's lots of stuff like that. And of course Brother Mouzone's partner Lamar is the real life DeAndre McCullough from the Corner, who, sadly, passed away at only 35 years of age recently.

Thanks, I hope so too.

The Bunk is based on several Detectives. If any of you guys haven't watched the Wire with the commentaries what the hell is wrong with you go do it now.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

escape artist posted:

I thought they were all good except for Steve Earle's version. It sounded like it was made with a drum machine or something, very inorganic.... when I love Steve Earle's music usually. It always sounds full and I don't know... It just was really disappointing. His voice was fine, but the music left a lot to be desired.

Which season did Steve Earle do? The only three I really liked were S1,2,4 (or Blind Boys of Alabama, Tom Waits, and The Best Version.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

MrBling posted:

I believe the proper spelling is heh-rawn.

Sold it like it was water. I love prop joe.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Bubbles and Prez are guests on this week's Elementary. Really pleasant to see old faces again.

Moments before Prez was on screen I was saying to someone "eh, it's not the Wire, It doesn't need my full attention"

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This most recent write up reminds me of something else. In season two when Cheese and Prop Joe are talking about dealing with Brother Mouzone after he ran them out of the towers. Cheese suggests putting a bounty out on Brother, 'let some fiend bushwhack his rear end', which Joe shoots down, pointing out that if puts a bounty out, Brother will go straight for Joe. Which is pretty much what Omar is doing now. Likewise, if Omar found out whoever keyed Avon's boys to his place, I imagine Omar would visit him with his shotgun so everyone knows that you can't gently caress Omar and get away with it.

Also, do we know if D told Avon about Orlando's schemes or if Bey or any of the other guys mentioned it first?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I love looking at the thread, seeing a new post, and the page length being twice as long.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I thought ones bubs stole were total baking soda, and maybe from a whole nother crew, not necessarily Avons people.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Don't forget that prop Joe has a court officer on the take/blackmail. He's probably much more confident in knowing that hell get sufficient warning to change up his operation when a police investigation hits anything resembling serious (warrants, wiretaps, court orders, etc). If the detail had initially gone up against Joe they would've had a much harder time of it (assuming they thought up that plot point that far in advance. Also, I get the impression from what Cheese says to Bodie in S2 (That a west side dealer can make a deal without shoving a gun in a fiends face) that East side dealers are not as violent as the West side and that they generally drop less bodies too, which is what got the police interested in Avon's crew in the first place (well that and Jimmy being Jimmy and having two show everyone what a loving genius he is).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Bodie always gets me. Bodie was the best. :smith:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Parachute Underwear posted:

I agree 100% on Dee. On the surface he appears less terrible than the others simply because he seems to feel emotions like guilt and remorse (things you don't really see from Avon/String/Wee-bey); that said, he rarely seems to consider the impact he has on others beyond, "is this bad thing I'm complicit with going to blow up in my face right now? yes/no, if no, well, it can't be that big of a deal."

I was going to write about how those things don't necessarily make him a bad person but then again, he's been the cause of a few people's deaths (whether directly or indirectly), so...

Definitely a great character. He's actually my buddy's favourite despite his short shelf life in the grand scheme.

We only really see Weebay after, and we do find out that if nothing else, Weebay will stick up for his crew and do the right poo poo for his son. He doesn't think Namon should be in the game, and he wants something better for his son. Basic American dream kinda stuff. Even for drug dealers. And the murderous enforcers.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

watt par posted:

In Wee-Bey's case I wonder how much of wanting Namond out was having him avoid the streets and how much was having him avoid De'Londa.:v:

Well you have to figure that he has some idea what the streets are like, too.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

escape artist posted:

Okay, go for it. Sorry for flaking out, as usual. It's not every day you get to see 24 Kurosawa films for free. I'll make a kind of supplemental post to your write-up.

Episode 1x12 I actually have listened to the DVD commentary for, so I should have a good write-up for that one.

Also, if anybody wants to watch Yojimbo or Sanjuro, or any Kurosawa film with a ronin Samurai, you will notice that Omar is very similar to those characters. In the way they dress, the way they are without a master, the way they walk with their weapons hanging out in plain view, the way they formulate their own moral code. Omar's character definitely drew inspiration from the ronin.

Is it the ronin though, or is it more the old west gunslinger (not that the two aren't abundantly connected/similar/Kurosawa films were remade as westerns more than once). Aesthetically it fits too, with the trench cost and shotgun. Maybe you could put into better words yourself because I stayed up last night playing dust and drinking and now my words don't work so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I seem to be in the minority that "got" Ziggy on the first run through. It really surprised me how many needed a rewatch to get him