Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I just bought the full 5 seasons for my father's christmas, really excited to watch it again for the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

gingerberger posted:

Can confirm DVDs are good, don't remember having any issue with them

I don't know about other languages, but the dutch subtitles are pretty terrible, often saying the exact opposite of what is being said on the screen. I much prefer to watch it with english closed captioning, but I'm watching it with my father and he's too much set in his ways.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

comes along bort posted:

Cutty's redemption is a little off because it implicitly endorses the idea that prison can reform criminals essentially by breaking their spirit.

Think of it as, after doing his time, and being a changed man, either changed because of age or because of spending time to think about his crimes in prison, the system spits him back out with no social structures in place to support him, pretty much forcing him back into the life he was sent to prison for. It takes all his willpower and some luck for him to avoid it.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

They both realize this and it is why McNutty drinks and Lester bangs informants. :colbert:

Did he bang more than one? I only remember him putting the moves on the attractive intelligent stripper and everyone else being really impressed.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

I know they're addicts but drat. How stupid do you have to be to buy 5 identical terrible products in a row from the same people on the same corner because they put a different coloured top on it?

It's not like they can go shopping at a wide range of providers, they are addicted to a product, they take what is available or, when things get REALLY bad they might go as far as the other side of the city (season 2 has addicts crossing over from west to east side i think).

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

grading essays nude posted:

Stringers main application of business 101 to the drug game is basically just "product > territory and violence is bad for business" which is no different from Prop Joe's philosophy and he sure as hell never went to community college to figure it out. There was that one time he "rebranded" the Barksdales lovely package on the advice of his Econ professor but really that's not much different from what they were doing before to exploit the addicts. Hell, Stringer actually tells D in season 1, well before we see his business classes, that hyping up a so called "new package" (maybe it's a little less stepped on at best) is pretty much the standard play. And yet Stringer somehow thought, despite lording over other people with his "business knowledge" on the street, that the actual business world worked like the street and he could bribe and threaten and manipulate his way in.

There's another fun scene early in season 2 that shows how much Stringer overestimates his business smarts. He drops all his cellphone stocks because he saw that Poot had a phone for business and one for pussy and thus the market must be oversaturated. Note this scene takes place in 2003....

Stringer believed in the american dream, thinking that he could work his way out of the ghetto, whereas prop joe never tries to leave the ghetto and things work out much better for him, until Marlo comes along.

If Stringer had paid attention during season 2, he'd know that the American dream has long been dead and buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

hhhmmm posted:

Stringer did a similar thing in season 1 (rebranding a package with poor quality), so it wasn't all copycat.

In a way, both Stringer and McNulty have the same problem: They always believe that they are the smartest fucks in the room. And for a long time that has always been true, it has been months even, when they were the smartest fucks in the room.

Because the real smart fucks are in a different, better paying room.