Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I'm on my fifth rewatch, two HD episodes in so far and god drat, the show is so loving great and it looks gorgeous now.
Last time I watched the show was probably back in 2010 or so, it weirdly kinda feels like reuniting with some friends after not having seen them in a long time.
I've got the same poo poo-eating grin on my face as McNulty does after D'Angelo gets taken away from the interrogation room by Levy.

e:

Zat posted:

I happened to come by a Swedish show recently in which Snoop Pearson shows them around some of The Wire's shooting locations and talks about stuff. I believe it was shot sometime in 2014. It's worth a watch.

http://www.svtflow.se/video/2267755/avsnitt-1-snoop

You can skip the first 5 minutes if you don't care about Swedish :words:

Thanks for posting this, very interesting

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Can you, uh, explain that one for me?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Escobarbarian posted:

Nah the oral history of the Wire that just came out called All the Pieces Matter, which is what the AV Club article is getting its info from.

I'm two thirds of the way through and it's a really enjoyable read so far.
Also got me to finally buy the blu-ray set (after owning the DVD one for numerous years)
Time for a sixth rewatch, I guess!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Binged Homecoming over the last few days (very much my poo poo, no similarities to do with The Wire though) and noticed a familiar face making a cameo:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Orange Devil posted:

The thing with war movies is that war is inherently pretty drat exciting. Except most veterans who have been in the poo poo don't come back all excited because of the constant chance of death they were exposed to. When you consume war as film you get some of the excitement but none of the risk and consequences. Drug dealers and police get some of the same excitement, what with gang wars and the war on drugs and all that, but again none of the risk and consequences for the viewers.

That said, Come and See manages to be a anti war movie that is not going to leave anyone excited.

Just popping in to say vouch for Come and See, it's an incredible movie and definitely one of the most horrifying ones I've ever seen. A few years ago I had the chance to see it at a local horror festival which included Q&A from some cast members and that was super cool.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Really enjoyed this video:

Dias posted:

Skip Intro with a video on The Wire for his copaganda series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOXQpkUhZyc&hd=1

Will the question "Is The Wire copaganda" finally be answered? Maybe.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

http://listen.hbo.com/the-wire-at-20

quote:

Few shows are as beloved as the HBO Original Series The Wire. In honor of its 20th anniversary, HBO is releasing a brand new podcast hosted by musician and actor Method Man and featuring revealing interviews with the show’s most memorable voices. Over eight episodes, the podcast will look back at David Simon’s sprawling five-season drama and unpack its complex themes, cultural influence, and ongoing legacy. The Wire at 20 podcast is produced by HBO and Campside Media.

First episode on Thursday, June 2nd.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

What anime though?? We need to know :negative:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Has anyone checked out this book?
The Wire: The Complete Visual History by D. Watkins.

quote:

Celebrate the greatest television show of all time with this definitive tribute to The Wire.

Twenty years after its debut, HBO’s The Wire is widely regarded as one of the greatest TV shows of all time. This deluxe volume explores the creation and legacy of creator David Simon’s landmark series through exclusive interviews with Simon and his cast and crew, including Idris Elba, Wendell Pierce, Sonja Sohn, Andre Royo, Jamie Hector, George Pelecanos, Ed Burns, and many more. The book also features commentary and essays from notable writers including New York Times bestselling author D. Watkins (The Beast Side: Living and Dying While Black in America). Illustrated with striking visuals from the show, including concept art and candid behind-the-scenes images, The Wire: The Complete Visual History, is the essential companion to a stone-cold television classic.

HUNDREDS OF NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN PHOTOS: Discover an exclusive treasure trove of incredible photography and production art that tells the story of The Wire like never before.

INTERVIEWS WITH CAST AND CREATORS: The visual story of The Wire is narrated by all-new interviews with creator David Simon and key cast and crew members, including Idris Elba, Wendell Pierce, Sonja Sohn, Felicia Pearson, Ed Burns, and more.

EXCLUSIVE ESSAYS: Discover unique commentary on all five seasons of the show from leading commentators including Melanie McFarland, Eric Deggans, Siddhant Adlakha, and more.

THE ULTIMATE TRIBUTE: Comprehensive and unmatched in its depth, this prestige volume is the ultimate retrospective of the greatest television show of all time.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

This thread bringing it up got me to finally watch We Own This City over the weekend (saw the first episode when it came out, generally liked it, but didn't keep up with it) and yeah agreed with all that's been said.
That scene in the first episode with the DOJ folks, especially the old white guy going "iPhones are no friend to the BPD" and the whole "But there's no way Trump even gets a nomination" part... it sticks out.
But almost all of the other parts of the show? Great.
And yeah of course seeing all those Wire alumni brings a smile to your face, worth watching for that alone.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

What the gently caress :(

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWqW49VhBJ4
David Simon interviewed on the picket line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Majkol posted:

Ive watched the Wire all the way through like 4 or 5 times but this next time, Im going to be watching with someone who has never seen it. Ive only ever seen the original SD version, Ive heard mixed things about the remasters. Is there a thread consensus on the versions?

IMO it's wonderful.
David Simon was quite involved with it and goes into the tradeoffs too: https://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/.
(FWIW I'm in the same boat of having seen it all the way through 4-5 times, last time with the HD version)