Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

That sound Herc makes when he's moving the desk makes me laugh every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

The Wire Food Mega Edit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MScJttWLs3Y

I love YouTube.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I'm on my first rewatch in at least 5 years and the pacing of season 3 kind of threw me off, partly because I had the whole timeline of that season mixed up. I thought Stringer told Avon about D much later, so it was weird to me that they were acting all chummy together the very next episode. I guess they just buried that poo poo and moved on with their business because they're gangsters? And they decided not to tell Brianna too?

I also thought the rooftop scene between them was way earlier, but you can definitely see the tension between them and they almost know that they sold each other out. The whole Stringer-Barksdale story line is so good.

But 43215. There are so many crushing scenes in S4, drat.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I agree that season five is the weakest, but I'm just finishing my first re-watch, and when Michael says good bye to bug, and then when dukie says goodbye to Michael, and when Bubbles walks up those loving stairs. Holy loving gently caress me man.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I don't think there's a thread for it but if you want to stay mad about social injustice and want to see something else with Michael K Williams, When They See Us on Netflix about the central park five is really well done and also absolutely devastating.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

The timing of that delivery after his scene in the finale is funny as hell.

THIS SENTIMENTAL MOTHERFUCKER JUST COST US MONEY.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

He was my dog *sobs*

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I loved the two cops that bunk double checks Omar's murder on too.

"This ain't the motherfucker that came up with 62 ways for the peanut neither"

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

That scene when Walon visits Bubbles in the hospital is soul crushing. His whole arc is the best thing about this show (tied with like 4 other things)

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Daniels gets the good Bodie ending.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Probably just another example of the different types of trauma that kids bring into school with them everyday.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

The way that mic goes flying off gets me every time

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I just finished Generation Kill not that long ago and James Ransone is incredible in it

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

One thing that was always unclear to me was stringer's graveyard meeting with colvin and it could just be me not hearing it correctly. String asks Colvin that he hopes he can "keep that to five." Colvin replies "it's going to be a nickle at least," to which String says "Come on, man" and is upset. Does he want the minimum jail time for Avon so he's out of the way for just a few years?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Rollie Fingers posted:

I've just completed The Wire. I came into it quite cold - I knew it was critically acclaimed and had almost a religious following, but I knew nothing about it beyond that.

I absolutely adored the first three seasons. Definitely the best TV I've ever watched. Seasons 4 and 5 didn't grab me as much because, IMO, the Stanfield organisation material was far weaker than the Barksdale organisation material and the docks. I get Marlo is meant to personify neoliberalism but he and his terminators kind felt out of place in the show (although the conclusion to their arcs was well written).

D'Angelo was superb all around. His death really rocked me and I wish he was there till the end of the show

I'm definitely watching the show again.

I think this is a pretty common reaction to Marlo's organization and I think it definitely benefits from a rewatch once you get the flavor of what David Simon is doing. But I agree the barksdale crew has more interesting characters overall. For me the most gripping stuff was the kids plotline and Omar in prison was one of the highlights of the show.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

tbf if I was David Simon and I had an audience with Obama I'd be grabbing him by his suit lapels and screaming that our house was burning down

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

My name is not my name versus my name is my name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoyq88niVEU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The ability to put six syllables into the word “poo poo”.

On a different note, here’s a question that I can’t google an answer to: anyone know how many times in the series Bodie said “poo poo is on”?

Off the top of my head, once when he's partying with slim and cutty.

It's also one of my favorite background utterances when he gets into the shootout with Chris and Snoop. He doesn't say it though.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

So I think I know the answer to this, but the pretext for stopping D when he got arrested was that he spent an unreasonably short amount of time in New York before he drove back? This seems like a flimsy reason for a fishing expedition yes, the answer is cops can do whatever they want

But why didn't D refuse until he got ahold of Levy? Seems like he's had enough run-ins with the cops to know not to say poo poo without his lawyer.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Everyone forgetting about Shorty Boyd smh

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I finally got around to watching It Chapter 2 and had no idea James Ransone was in it. He's so good, he kind of saves the movie tbh. Him and Bill Hader's chemistry together is really good.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

The Wire walks a fine line with that, but the major crimes unit is undoubtedly cast as the good guys, even though going after kingpins only accounts for a fraction of all drug arrests. We only see glimpses here and there of people getting busted for possession and how that affects the community, which obviously wouldn't make for as good of television as the cat and mouse game between major crimes and avon, say. Like, I wish maybe they'd spent a little more time with Hamsterdam. Colvin was a great lense to view story through and I wish we got a little more than just the letters from the community bit at the end (although his talks at role call and with Carver we're good too).

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Right, the characters are not at all two dimensional and the institutions are rightly depicted as flawed at best, but i think in the "cops and robbers" archetype, the cops are the protagonist because "drugs are bad" (obviously, like the poster above me said, this is a gross reduction). I guess I would have liked to seen more of "why are drugs bad?" Season 2 touches on this a little with the decline of the docks and the loss of blue collar jobs, but it doesn't really keep the connection going.

I'm kind of playing devil's advocate, but I've been thinking about this a lot recently. Someone a couple pages back posted that "Is The Wire Copaganda?" video which I haven't watched yet, but I should, because like I said, I think the show navigates it pretty well, but it's worth examining in that context.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

until someday some way those motherfuckers get dredged and we get some CHIPPPPSINHEEEERRRRE

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Rank your Sobotkas

Frank
Ziggy
Nick's Dad
Nick
Nick's Mom

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Omar's death isn't in the papers, but the corner boys Marlo confronts at the end are trading rumors about his death, vastly blowing it out of proportion, making him into a sort of folk legend.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Watching Homocide: Life on the Streets, also based in Baltimore.

These spin-offs are getting out of control

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

The newspaper crew might not be as well written, but they're well acted, which goes a long way for me. Templeton is so petulant when he gets called out on his poo poo, it's great. I also really like the scene where Jimmy meets with the newspaper staff about the call and finds out Templeton is full of poo poo.

And of course as soon as I YouTube The Wire all sorts of recommended videos start popping up. I think I remember the context, but I don't remember this scene AT ALL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIbu1lHqrEo

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Reg E Cathey is so good

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Hey Norman, you know what I had for dinner last night? Tuna sub. I ate in the car.

When I finish writing my memoirs, that poo poo'll be in there, no doubt.

lmao. Aidan Gillen does an amazing job too

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

But there's also that scene with Herc and Carver where Carver has to decide what to do with officer Collichio (after he assaults the guy in the car I think) and if Carv should bring the hammer down on him. Herc backs him up on his decision and basically says if you think that's the right thing to do, then it's the right thing to do. It's not a redemptive moment for Herc by any means, but its still a nice moment between the two.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Bubbles' entire arc is perfect including the final montage.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

James Ransone is so, so good in Generation Kill. The show is good. Show Me A Hero is really good, too (and short). I watched a couple episodes of Treme, but never got hooked.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

gently caress. Really bummed about this.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

In BoB, Liebgott also set out on his own to confront the (alleged) concentration camp officer. It's never really confirmed if he was an actual officer there.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

TIL Bill Rawls did voiceovers for the DNC during the 2020 Presidential campaign:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1298655192234237953

John Doman rules and has seriously become one of my favorite actors since I finished my first binge-watch and I want to see more stuff he's in.

"MOTHAFUCKA (smacks mic off the podium and storms up to Bodie)" is still one of my favorite laugh out loud moments from the series.

A friend recommended me Borgias a while ago, is that any good?

Also, I've never watched Oz, but I guess it has a bunch of actors from the wire in it too? It looks a little "early 2000s" in the way the first season of the wire looks a little dated sometimes too.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Herc and Carver are definitely skimming seized money in S1, but it's never really explored in the following seasons except for Daniels' history in the eastern district.

Show looks so good.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Bug running around six flags with cotton candy and a batman mask on is adorable

Nice dolphin

Edit: ^^ lol drat

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Snot Boogie got me thinking about the best cold opens of the wire and they're all pretty much Omar (Omar in jail is incredible, but Omar goes out for Cheerios and Omar vs mouzone are really good too). Drunk Jimmy is up there, though. He plays a drunk so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

deoju posted:

Buy for a dolla, sell for tew