Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

cletepurcel posted:

One thing I don't like about this episode is how dated it seems when Kima types up the police report on the typewriter. Always found it a little hard to believe that would still be the case in 2002 in a police department, especially given that this is NOT the case as soon as the next season when they have modern computer equipment.

Different priorities/jobs.

Also I found it really refreshing after CSI where every investigator apparently has the personal computer budget of a mid-sized first world country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I guess it makes sense that someone who routinely goes into situations where he gets shot gets more money then someone who doesn't. And not only do they face more risks but require more skill as well. Plus, muscle gets you territory. I'm not sure how much money a single corner makes but you need to have that corner somehow and then hold it. The soldiers basically net you more money then a low level dealer in the end.

Besides, the top level drug guys also get privileges. They just aren't holding the corners. Stringer Bell handles the financal/distribution side in current season. Monk in later seasons seemed to be Marlo's no. 2 and he wasn't a soldier.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 12, 2012

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

EvanSchenck posted:

In a later episode this season the squad nails Wee-Bey making a pickup on the morning take from the projects, and from the amount they extrapolate that the Barksdale organization grosses about $60,000 per day. The towers are most profitable, then the pit, then the corners. They actually have five high-rise towers (I looked it up, since the projects were a real place) but I don't know how many corners. Most likely it runs several thousand per corner per day. Freamon guesses the organization's overhead (i.e. salaries, expenses, and spillage), to be about 20%.

Holy crap, that's about 22 million per year. That's nuts. Honestly, none of the drug dealers in this show acts according to their net worth. Even with Avon's nice SUV's and strippers and bars I figured he makes like couple of million per year max. No wonder all those developers in season 3 are all on Stringer's tit.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Frostwerks posted:

That's an interesting take on Monk. I'd always figured Chris to be his number 2, but since Marlo was dropping bodies so frequently and had to consult his war chief more often, you didn't really get a feel for the commerce side of things to the extent you did with the the Barksdale pit crew.

Remember when Mike slacked out on his corner and they sent Monk there to deal with it? It seemed that he he handled all the business and corner crews and distribution because Chris was too busy murdering people or alternatively acting as Marlo's bodyguard. Chris was obviously more close to Marlo but Monk did stuff like be responsible for distributing all the drugs to West Side the Co-Op, keeping tabs on phones and cops, etc.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Slo-Tek posted:

They take a pretty big hit cleaning the money. You can't buy condos with trash bags full of tens. They have more than they can spend, even after a year or two in the game, per Marlo. But what is a kid who came up in the projects gonna buy? can't own much in your own name, that'll bring the feds down on you. Limited experience, limited contacts, limited advice, and indeed limited interest in the straight world 'away games'. So, you got your Navigator, you got your apartments, you got your girlfriends, you got your guns, what else could you spend money on?

Yeah. Can't really travel either because you have to be on top of poo poo all the time. Could eat fancy food all the time but why, takeout and fast food is really loving good. And by the time you get to a point where you make millions the game is your life and I suppose it's hard to leave, either because you like it or you have so many enemies that you need your crew to protect you.

Stringer is educated enough to want something more, but he wasn't exactly average. Marlo got a chance but he didn't want anything more. Omar got out but he was pulled back in.

I wonder why they don't start selling drugs on discount then. :haw:

(I suppose the answer is that they would just have more customers and would end up making the exact same amount of profit in the end)

Charity, maybe?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 12, 2012

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

solovyov posted:

When Wallace objects that Hamilton was not a President, I went from "this show is great" to "oh poo poo, this show is going to break my heart, isn't it?"

Oh God, yes.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MrBling posted:

They should all be natives, damnit.

My immersion. :cry:

All the street people seem to just say "B-more" which I assume is a native word for it as well.

Or Bodymore, Murdaland. :haw:

Snoop posted:

Here we lay a couple New York boys who came too far south for their own fuckin' good. Where ya fuckin' Yankee pride at now, fuckin' bitches?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm wondering how the hell does Avon live as well as he does? Doesn't he have a PS3 or something and KFC food etc. Does he basically have the entire prison bribed? Does stuff like that actually fly in the U.S. (because usually American prisons sound like they are somewhere between a Soviet gulag and Azkaban).

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 17, 2012

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

AAA DOLFAN posted:

(Chris + Snoop moving at him diagonally like bishops, ending with Mike doing an L shape like a knight finally popping him)

O-dog, not Michael.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zombie Raptor posted:

A big part of me wishes they had just made Jimmy an immigrant from the UK. Usually it's Idris's accent (as has been mentioned before) in things like this that I cannot ignore, but West steals the show in terms of bad accents for at least season one. I will pay more attention to this as I progress.

Of course, then the accent would have been even more distracting.
Is it ever inferred in the series that he's a Baltimore native? I'm bad at accents but I never heard the UK tone, just that he didn't sound like he's from around Baltimore.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

escape artist posted:

Not to mention his reaction to Bodie's death. "I owe it to this corner kid."

I don't remember that...I always thought he was pissed because he lost an useful witness.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FrozenVent posted:

Everything stops when Kima gets shot. The cops stop and go to the hospital, the streets stop and go "holy poo poo we are so screwed."

Everybody stops when Kima gets shot, even the trains.

That's what's made me hate some of the less quality police serials where cops get shot right and left. You don't shoot cops unless you want hell to rain on you.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

escape artist posted:

Which begs the question, how did Marlo let one of his crew members just disappear? Presumably because he had too much heat on the bodies at the time, and had to lay low. Plus Poot never crossed him otherwise.

Doubt that he even knew about Poot's existence. He was just Bodie's second, just another street face to Marlo and so low that he couldn't exactly reveal anything to anyone.

EDIT: About post-show hypothesizing, can you imagine how terrifying Wee-Bey and Chris in prison together, presumably working for Avon are going to be? Oz's bodycount isn't going to hold a candle when those two get going. :stare:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 25, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Four, strangely enough. It fits the darkness of Season 4 (and has a bitching guitar solo).

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Parachute Underwear posted:

That said, I've always wondered if underneath the macho hardass lies a nice, wonderful gay man in the same way that under the dismissive, statistics-obsessed Major lies a pretty effective street detective.

There are plenty of rear end in a top hat gays. I figured Rawls was just one of them.

Or an rear end in a top hat bisexual.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Watching season 1, Herc ain't a total rear end in a top hat. His talk with Bodie's grandma is actually pretty touching. He apologizes for cursing at the door and stays there and listens to her, and shakes her hand afterwards. It's the only redeeming scene he has, but raised my opinion of him buy like 200%. Carver just goes out and doesn't apologize for poo poo.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, I'm on god knows how many re-watch and Season 1 is so much better then I remembered.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's pretty funny when you think of it, at all levels cops slide on smaller crimes to go after the larger ones. Who cares if he's a drug addict if he can get me drug dealers. Who cares if he deals drugs on a corner if he can get me his boss. Who cares if he runs that corner if he can get me the guy who runs the drugs on the entire Westside. Who cares about drugs if he can get me murders...

Eventually it gets to guys like FBI who say "Who cares if he smuggles in women, drugs and kills a dozen people a year, if he can get me the guys who smuggle in bombs and guns and kill hundreds or thousands..." As much as I hate to say it, the cops really don't have that much of a reason to feel indignant. Sure, the feds let worse people slide free, but only to get to the guys that the cops only read about in newspapers and shudder.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

the black husserl posted:

The scene with the Deacon being horrified at Hamsterdam was one of the lamest in the series imho. Like this streetwise deacon hasn't seen worse, or couldn't understand the good it was doing.

It would have made much more sense if it was a straightlaced city council member being shocked at *gasp* drugs being sold without threat of incarceration! Charity groups doing needle exchanges! The horror!

It was before there was needle exchanges and other health initiatives, that whole stuff happened after the Deacon saw all that and got Bunny connected with the health experts, youth workers and university people. He didn't think the whole idea was bad, just the fact that the cops were herding down drug dealers, addicts, prostitutes and hoppers in one single place and not doing anything to help them once they were there. You are remembering the order wrong.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

computer parts posted:

The Deacon still chides him after it gets shut down, though.

But not about it being a bad idea on it's own merits, but what was he really expecting would ensure from it?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

escape artist posted:

Holy poo poo

I know, right?!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
On the fourth season re-watch, I think Officer Walker really is the worst character on the show. I mean, worse then DeLonda, even. Where do police like that come from? I don't see him coming from a very privileged background, so shouldn't he have at least some sympathy? I've never met a cop anywhere close to being that mean - it's like the whole badge is just an excuse for him to torture and steal from people. He's the only 100% evil police officer on the show too, Colicchio is just a dumb guy with no actual malevolence and Herc is stupid as gently caress but overall is little bit more good then bad.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 7, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Likely, yeah, he seems to have a superiority complex. But there's got to me something in the line of sociopathy too to his behaviour.

cletepurcel posted:

Also beg to differ on Herc, he's dumb as gently caress, yes, but where I draw the line is where this causes him to have literally no idea how much damage he causes and no hint of remorse whatsoever.

On the first season when they bust in through Bodie's grandma's door, he is extremely apologetic, in stark contrast to Carver. I think when immediately put face to face to his actions he's remorseful. He's just too dumb for it to have effect when he doesn't see the direct consequences.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 7, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Haha, I'm at the point where Valchek makes fun of Rawls trying to get to be the commissioner when he isn't "one of the natives". When he actually kind of IS, Baltimore being traditionally Irish/English American city - he's not Native American native, but as far as Baltimore, MD is concerned he's as native as they come. Hell, he can probably trace his family there as long as the foundation of the city. Super-loving ironic, when you think of it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Also still the best quote of the show, delivery, acting, content, prelude to the pay-off moment, all:

"Makes me sick, motherfucker, how far we done fell."

Only scene where Omar gets owned like no tomorrow too. Can you remember any time he didn't have a comeback to anything?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 7, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Oh yeah, and nobody can tell me that Herc is more bad then good after this. When he gets confronted by all his mistakes at the end and booted off the police force?

"You don't need Sydnor or Doze either. Paperwork's all mine. On the camera, all the informants, me alone."

When he went out, he owned to that. It was all 100 percent his own fault, but he didn't drop it off on anyone else. Not like Baltimore police department, that.

FrozenVent posted:

He got owned pretty hard by that ten year old. Didn't have a comeback, either.

It's hardly owning if you come from behind with no warning. I could "own" anyone from Bruce Lee to Carlos Hathcock that way.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, Season 4, last episode, Kima comes at Herc's door, he is suspended, all that. Kima tells him that "gently caress what they say, this here is police work. And I'm asking if you police." And he goes yes. He is not the unredeemable rear end in a top hat that everyone in this thread is saying. Just stupid. He is stupid, I am not disputing that. But saying that he is bad...is wrong. Seriously, more I am looking at this, more redemption Herc gets. Call it another of those Wire watch-troughs that you always find new poo poo in.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

escape artist posted:

Pretty sure Burrell is a main character. I've been wondering about that show. The only thing that gives me reservations is: why would a show so good be relegated to Cinemax? (Maybe they're trying to bring the Cinemax brand up a bit-- it's HBO owned)

Let's just say that the main character in Banshee makes - let's say, Raylan Givens - look like the biggest pussy this side of bitch town.

What I am trying to say is that holy loving poo poo you need to watch Banshee.

(it's nothing like The Wire bit holy loving shittt)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 10, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Another quiet moment in that episode. Monk comes up to the kids to hand out money, but Michael says no and walks off. Marlo walks up to Michael and talks his usual poo poo, until Michael finally makes eye contact. Michael's not mad doggin, he's not scowling, he's just looking right through Marlo, and Jamie Hector plays it really well - you can tell Marlo's thrown off by Michael's lack of give a gently caress, even if he's not giving too much away. It's a nice moment, the first sign that Michael doesn't give a gently caress how important Marlo thinks Marlo is.

I took it more as the first sign that Michael is really hard, beyond a normal corner kid. He won't take anyone calling him a bitch, even Marlo. We see this in (following?) episode when that one girl slashes the other one, everyone is freaking out and Michael is just sitting in the corner, quietly observing the scene.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DropsySufferer posted:

That's one thing I've have liked to see; the rise of Avon and Stringer. My one issue with the show is that Stringer seems so much smarter then Avon for the most part. We don't have much time to see how Avon was running things because Avon is gone and jailed 1st season. Avon never impressed me because it looked like string was running the show. Apart from a few orders what exactly was Avon doing? Now that's where the series just did not have time to cover that I'll bet. Still imagine how great a wire prequel would be showing the rise of Avon, and String, and maybe a young Freamon, and Daniels, or even Rawls.

Wee-Bey kills someone in every episode :haw:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That brings it to mind, is it cocaine or heroin that the crews sell in the show? I remember Prop Joe talking about some old timer who sold heroin a lot and I think the Greeks gave Nick heroin too, but isn't crack cocaine? Do they sell both?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Or he is just a tough motherfucker.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Basebf555 posted:

Yea theres two values, how much a street dealer would pay for the g-pack wholesale, and how much money can be made from a g-pack once its split up into vials. So when White Mike is selling a g-pack for "4 or 5", he means Nick will buy it from him for $400 and then get $1000 back once its sold on the street. So for each g-pack he gets a profit of $600, a hundred more than if he wouldn't have gotten the "friend price". So the "g" in g-pack refers to the money that it is worth to someone who is willing to split it into vials and take the risk of going out in the street and selling it.

I thought g-pack means a thousand? So he would buy four g-packs (I think 4 or 5 was referring to the number of packs) for $4000 and then turn it for however much money he can get out from them elsewhere?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Wire's Greatest Fashion Moments :haw:
http://four-pins.com/style/the-wires-greatest-fashion-moments/

Never realized how much Bodie wore that rag.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Spoilers Below posted:

I never noticed before that Prop Joe says his player is from Europe. Who knew The Greek was into basketball?

holy poo poo :psyboom:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

chesh posted:

Did Prop Joe ever drop bodies?

Nope, wasn't his MO.

Didn't really fit Eastside anyway, I figure dealers got way better along there. Westside always had one hungry king in the show while the rest of the co-op seemed to be all Eastsiders.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SpookyLizard posted:

Don't forget that prop Joe has a court officer on the take/blackmail. He's probably much more confident in knowing that hell get sufficient warning to change up his operation when a police investigation hits anything resembling serious (warrants, wiretaps, court orders, etc). If the detail had initially gone up against Joe they would've had a much harder time of it (assuming they thought up that plot point that far in advance. Also, I get the impression from what Cheese says to Bodie in S2 (That a west side dealer can make a deal without shoving a gun in a fiends face) that East side dealers are not as violent as the West side and that they generally drop less bodies too, which is what got the police interested in Avon's crew in the first place (well that and Jimmy being Jimmy and having two show everyone what a loving genius he is).

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this or if it is just me, but West Side seems to hate the East Side way more then East Side hates the West Side...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Man, I shouldn't watch this show while drunk...I actually teared up a little on Clay Davis' court speech. :qq:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerusalem posted:

Carcetti's speech at the end of season 3 should make you cry too, but for completely different reasons :smith:

Need to watch that while drunk. I'd say "or high" but when I am high and I watch the Wire I just rewind every second scene about half a dozen times to ponder upon the various meanings and to reflect how loving deep it all is, man

Holy poo poo Gus is a horrible character though. He is always right. He is literally never wrong about anything, even if it should be impossible for him to pick up on things. If Gus was removed season 5 would be so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

escape artist posted:

Okay, for all the manly men tough guys in this thread, us hardcore gangsters like Marlo and Chris, which moments made you cry (while you were sober)?

Bubbles' speech. You don't need me to clarify which one.