Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The point of the Bordello bust wasn't to stop human trafficking or even hinder it, it was just to gather information for the case they were working in the first place. Besides, nobody accomplished anything on the large scale in The Wire, people generally weren't even interested in that, aside from Lester Freamon and McNulty. Everyone knew they couldn't stop human trafficking any more than they could stop the gang wars or the war on drugs. The only person who ever really did anything towards making a difference was Bunny with Hamsterdam, and we all know how that turned out.

Nobody in Baltimore can do anything to change the way the war on drugs or rules about immigration work, they can just do what they can to keep themselves and their people sheltered and fed. Human trafficking is horrible, but so is the culture of murder and violence that Frank was supporting by importing drugs. It's just kinda the way the world works, you can support the lovely things that go on behind closed doors or you can go live in the woods a hundred miles away from civilization and be a hermit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I dunno if it's just cause I watched the whole show wearing headphones but I never had any trouble understanding Snoop, and I'm pretty drat white.

That whole scene is excellent though. "Yea, man. Man said if you wanna shoot nails this here's the Cadillac. He meant Lexus but he ain't know it."

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

That seems like the wrong way to look at how they screwed each other to me. They're playing different kinds of games at that point. Stringer's game is quiet and diplomatic, nobody shoots each other and he makes friends with the other big name dealers in the city and they all share profits. Avon's game is violent as hell, and people shoot each other for corners and street rep. Generally when you lose in Stringer's game you go to jail for selling drugs, maybe for a long time but you probably won't get shot. In Avon's game, your chances of ending up dead are a lot higher, you get shot by some other guy who wants to be the new big name on the streets.

Stringer hosed up playing Avon's game of violence and blood feuds with Omar and Brother Mouzone and all that, and he ended up dead because of it. I don't think Avon would have played Mouzone like Stringer did. Avon hosed up playing Stringer's game and ended up in jail instead of dead, because he refused to keep it quiet and stop killing people over dumb poo poo like who owns what corner and who's calling who a cocksucker.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

D'Angelo's mother basically convinced him to go to jail for 20 years because she wanted to keep getting paid by his cousin.

Why do so many people always say McNulty was an rear end in a top hat for calling her on it? She was a terrible person! Just because she's not as bad as Namod's horrible mother that doesn't make her good!

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

How could they give a poo poo about the dead women on the dock? Who's gonna pay them to start a worldwide investigation into this poo poo? Who's even gonna pay them to investigate it on the local level? Their job is to work on the drug trade in Baltimore and that's what they do. They see this kind of thing all the time, just because there's 15 dead bodies in a shipping can it doesn't make it much worse to them than the 15 dead bodies they see every week or two as a result of the drug war.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

There's not really any way he coulda fit into the show after season 2 was over, is there? We saw some of the inside of prison from Avon and Weebay's perspectives because they were important characters to what was going on outside with the rest of the characters, but there's not much way I can think Ziggy would matter to anyone post-season 2.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

the black husserl posted:

Stringer really revealed how ignorant he is of the deeper game in this episode. Without Avon, he would have died on his first corner.

Unrelated, on re-watch the Greek is kind of an 'unrealistic' character (and intentionally so). I mean, what does that guy do all day? Sit in a dirty cafe and make millions for no discernable purpose? He really is just pure capitalism.

That's how like half of all rich people make money.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

That's right. He wanted to get real close and just shoot him in the back of the head or something while he was confused about the phone, but then Weebay shows up and tips him off that something weird is happening and Omar is forced to try to shoot him while he's got the chance, before Avon runs back into the club.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70eU840lc38

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

Yea its a good thing guys like MLK Jr., Gandi, and Mandela knew how to kick some rear end when necessary, otherwise they wouldn't have accomplished anything.

Pretty sure nobody would have paid any attention to MLK if there weren't people like Malcolm X around.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

Well I certainly agree that a threat of violence has a higher chance of being successful because fear is a great motivator. I just don't believe in that kind of success and I think change is worthless if violence is used to affect it.

The opinion of every stupid rear end in a top hat who's never had to face actual oppression in any real way, good for you. I'm sure that every black person in America can understand you saying that they should still be slaves because 600,000 people died in order for them to be free. Meanwhile here in the real world literally nothing will ever be done without the threat of violence when it comes to large social problems.

God, the more I think about what you just said the more I want to yell at you for being an empty-headed useless piece of phoney intellectual trash but I guess I should stop writing before the whole post just is me being mad.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

comes along bort posted:

Hahaha. Most of them died because they were conscripted into a war they had no interest in fighting. There were riots over that poo poo too, y'know.

Obviously yea, that doesn't really change my argument though. I wasn't talking up the bravery and nobility of the soldiers of the civil war, I was talking about what a piece of poo poo that other poster is. The cause that those people died for doesn't change based on whether they wanted to or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

And Jerusalem's point is that how widely known it is isn't immaterial at all? Everyone everywhere already knows the Titanic sank, I doubt even 1% of the people on this site know about what happened in Yonkers in the 1980s.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 31, 2015