Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah the grocer scene was really the only one that broke the illusion (the obvious CGI glass didn't help).

I noticed right at the beginning when they were looking at the timing chain. I still liked the movie but only Pacino moved convincingly, mostly because he was muh more stationary and could hold on to podiums. But when the bed scenes were everyone has these big old man potbellies it was also sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ainsley McTree posted:

Same, except for when bunk eats crab gut. That drives the urges right out.

This is also revolting to me. Eating that stuff is like eating the garbage of the garbage.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Avon gives Cutty the money for his gym - I think it counts. It's not for influence or a show of power or anything either, he doesn't want it to be known.

I mean, in s4 they have the young Avon boxing photo up on the wall. It may not be known he was the investor, but he is a part of the gym.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ilmucche posted:

Poot just had enough and moved on. The way poot talks to dukie if I remember right is that dukie wasn't old enough to get a job yet. Maybe poot was waiting until he was old enough, and when the corners got too hot he shrugged it off and said it was time to move on.

I think Poot is only 22-23 by the end of the series, if that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nope, just lived to his means and put his savings in mutual funds for decades. He's not my client so I don't have a lot of info besides that. I do have a Bitcoin millionaire though! He's a really cool guy.

yeah we all know jeffery

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

From the NYT bio:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/06/arts/michael-k-williams-dead.html

quote:

Mr. Williams played Omar Little, a charming vigilante who held up low-level drug dealers, perhaps the most memorable character on a series many consider among the best shows in television history.

Off camera, however, his life was often in disarray. He wasted his earnings from “The Wire” on drugs, a spiral that led him to living out of a suitcase on the floor of a house in Newark, an experience he described with candor in an article that appeared on nj.com in 2012.

He finished filming the series with support from his church in Newark, but the drug addiction stayed. In 2008, he had a moment of clarity at a Barack Obama presidential rally in Pennsylvania. With Mr. Williams in the crowd with his mother, Mr. Obama remarked that “The Wire” was the best show on television and that Omar Little was his favorite character.

They met afterward, but Mr. Williams, who was high, could barely speak. “Hearing my name come out of his mouth woke me up,” Mr. Williams told The New York Times in 2017. “I realized that my work could actually make a difference.”

God, this is incredibly sad. It is always hard to get past these demons. RIP

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Having not seen the Plot Against America series but read the book (10+ years ago) it doesn't seem like the series deviated far from the source's ending, and if anything, was bleaker.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The changes in technology over the course of the series is always interesting to think about, also because it ends right before the modern smartphone era. Would have really liked to see what a season would be like built upon when you start getting cheap smartphones out to people and how that changes the game.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

How did we not get Nextel chirps in this show too?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jerusalem posted:

This thread is loving incredible :vince:

An 18-year old thread filled entirely with active posters, who said this forum is dead?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ever try to watch the latest episode of Show X and you just end up watching Wire clips on your phone with the other show on in the background?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ainsley McTree posted:

I started watching Patriot finally after a bunch of you recommended it and I can't stop thinking of this SNL sketch whenever I watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDsRXhtHW9Q

I'm liking it a lot though, very keystone blackops

Phil Hartman is perfect for this (and maybe everything)

https://youtu.be/7jYPp9w-0Uk?si=VUZeSFJ_gispVJcg

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dexter would have been fine if they just ended after 2. I know everyone likes the Lithgow season but...eh.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

surf rock posted:

- Favorite actors from the first season are Freamon, Stringer Bell, Omar, Daniels, and Bubbles.

How could you not like Wee Bay

big props to whoever on wikipedia made this wee bay's profile image

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Eason the Fifth posted:

That is correct, I do not like Tom Waits' voice. I respect his place in music but it is not for me. I have a wrong opinion.

If you don't like the voice try the first album where his voice isn't as broken yet, I liked that much more than the supposed classic ones

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

if you go back into the first convos in S1 about making the first task force they haggle about Syndor being there because they said they actually needed some good police to do something, it couldn't be all humps.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I do wish we got that "mayoral election miniseries" because season 4 really does cram everything in. I imagine without also covering the election it would have felt just as focused as the other seasons.

*primary, I like when they joke about whoever the Republican running in November is.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BiggerBoat posted:

And, yeah, Marlo just wants the crown. Like most CEO's and millionaires, he could have enough money to retire 20x over but, thing is, it's never enough. At a certain point, none of it is even about the money; for Marlo or Jeff Bezos.

I think you can see for Avon about how his drug empire isn't totally his - you see Brianna and D (and D has that big speech at the end of season 1 about how who his grandfather was) and how people get supported through it or are a part of it. The Barksdale org is fun like a family business in many ways - like when Avon tells Marlo to give money to his sister to get access to Sergei in S5. Avon would really feel the obligation to keep going in order to keep that support network alive, at least for his direct family. It took...two-ish years after the Barksdale org died for Wee Bay's family to be cut off? It isn't a full pension, but that is alot of dedication for someone not earning anything.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ainsley McTree posted:

Now that we have the gift of hindsight, i'm curious if someone could calculate how well that investment would have worked out for string

Yale has got you covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

StashAugustine posted:

But, crucially, after he'd already gotten locked up for life

I don't believe he got life from the gun bust. At best he actually needed to finish his original sentence, but I don't think they ever say what his final number of years are.