Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just starting S4 right now, and I wanted to note my amusement at seeing that Bubs has a concession stand.

That is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

escape artist posted:

Anxious to hear the rest of your S4 thoughts!

It seems to me like it's kind of not the sort of show that's super easy to have commentary on in the middle, when everything is still slowly playing out. This sort of pure-drama series is a bit of a new experience for me, coming from being used to its descendants which mixed in a lot more humor and quirkiness like Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul / Preacher / etc. which all have explosive reveals and crowd-pleasing moments sprinkled throughout for the audience to go :tviv: over. With The Wire, it's more like a 13-hour movie, and I don't wanna talk in the middle of the movie, if that makes sense?

That said, S4 so far is giving out some good rewards even halfway through. Prez is getting a handle on teaching (none too soon, just in time for the kids to get in poo poo), the lovely lieutenant has had some theatrically hilarious failures due to his incompetence/hubris (that honestly felt like they were out of some kind of 80s farce), Hauk has been getting stupider with every passing scene, and Carcetti just won.

The mayoral race thing, though, brings up something I've been trying to get a grasp on with the show since day one, which is "wtf is it trying to do with race". I'm not sure why I should be being asked to root for this whiny white guy who complains to the camera every chance he gets about being a white guy in a majority-black city, woe is him. Certainly this of all shows is not going to be vulnerable to charges of being openly racist considering how rich and broad the spectrum of characters is and how sympathetic they are once you know all their stories, but this mayor's race thing is giving me the same weird feeling I got from Hamsterdam last season, which devolved into bestial anarchy so quickly it felt like the show was trying to do some kind of Birth of a Nation poo poo. Like is this just a character thing showing where Colvin's well-intentioned bad judgment leads him, or is it saying this radical idea he had is doomed to fail and therefore the only answer is just do more futile police poo poo for a thousand years?

The show also says a lot to me about the nature of careerism and how fortunate I am to personally be in an industry where if I don't like my job I can just fuckin leave and get another one. These cops who work for 20, 30 years and then retire or are fired and find out they have no idea how to do anything else .... I mean I guess that's actually how most of the world works, isn't it. Colvin's story being presented in parallel to Cutty's, where the one is just flopping around at a loss until he gets involved with the corner kids at the school, is pretty stark since Cutty's competence and success at running his boxing gym (seemingly to his own surprise) and having all the moms mack on him seems to be saying something about how even being a prison lifer is less of a career-killer than being a cop.

It's been kinda fun seeing Marlo playing Hauk and friends like fiddles, turning the whole premise of the show on its head (lol video). He's not been as fun a character to watch as Stringer/Avon so far, and I'm hoping this is the spot where that starts to turn around.

I get the feeling Omar's story hasn't got a lot further to go, and it's not going to end well :smith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, I'm hoping I'm not, and the fact that he's already won and the season's only half over is probably the biggest clue poo poo's going down.

(Direct answer: because pervasive POV I guess) (And also his campaign manager dude is pretty awesome) (Lemme guess, he turns out to be horrible)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Narcissism is hardly a kiss of death in and of itself in a show where literally every character is flawed and which seems to be keen to rehabilitate fuckin Landsman

There's kind of a fine line between "nobody is actually good or evil, there's reasons behind why everyone does everything" and "OK this thing that Character A did, ain't no defense of that" — in this show as well as in life

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thru s4e10, and god drat Hauk sucks. Would have thought he'd grab any excuse to not walk into the "we need to talk" "where to begin?" office from Fight Club, and a call from Bubbs to come save him from the predator seems like something he'd leap for. Instead now both of them are hosed

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aw man, S4E12. What a series of kicks to the balls :smith:

Sherrod, fuuuuck

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Into S5 now: "We have to kill again" lmao

Haven't seen you in a while McNulty, making up for lost time I see

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 24, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat, Prop Joe...

Marlo's gotta go, and the show's clearly setting up Omar to be on a collision course with him, but the way this show is I feel like it's only like a 30% chance Omar ends up coming out of that one on top...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Freamon jumping instantly onto McNulty’s scheme while Bunk looks on in stupefied horror might be my favorite thing on this show to date

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was just about to say it seemed like his embellishment plotline seemed like a weird thing to become a story so late in S5; it kind of came out of the blue and has only had like 3-4 episodes to flesh itself out. There's only the finale left I haven't seen, and I'm not invested enough in Templeton to care whether he gets comeuppance or not.

But I guess that's really the nature of the show: nothing is as dramatic or explosive or life-changing in real life as it is in a TV show, as this TV show will now demonstrate. Omar bites it in as anticlimactic a way as possible. McNulty fucks his career and the city's budget through a harebrained scheme that could never have "worked" and was not even founded in personal aggrandizement, just his weird dedication to the work being something more meaningful than the drab futile office numbers game that does nothing but perpetuate the problems of the inner city, but is apparently the only way regular human beings can survive the experience of being cops. Marlo (presumably, I'll find out shortly) disappears from the scene only to give rise to yet another generation of bosses, and the circle of life continues. It would be almost a betrayal of the show's whole texture to date if anything too theatrical happened in the Sun office storyline.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maaan, that was a nice finale. Loved all the little low-key goodbyes. The wake especially, where everybody's basically parting as respectful adversaries. There's no forgiving the unforgivable, but that aside, they're all bros.

Also Snoop's death felt all Kill Bill'ish. "My hair look all right?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I had The Shield on my to-watch list next. Wasn't sure what kind of show exactly either one was going in, but both certainly get a lot of plaudits it seems.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Please tell me there’s a noir scene at Angels Flight

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I woke up this morning thinking that Dominic West looks enough like Steve Guttenberg that perhaps The Wire was created as a gritty reboot of Police Academy, and now I can't breathe

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That aging/de-aging CGI in that movie is unreal

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I could have sworn the MC at the awards ceremony was Bob Odenkirk with face munging, but I guess not.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jokes on him I was only pretending

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The guy who plays Maury Levy is in that movie Molly's Game playing, wait for it, a sleazy lawyer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God Hole posted:

another consideration should be “localized & temporary net good” vs “universal permanent net good”

hamsterdam may seem far fetched on its face to the layman but bored police commanders have a long, storied history of accidentally discovering revolutionary social change while loving around with departmental procedures, for instance what would happen if we just stopped patrolling lol-OH gently caress CRIME IS GOING DOWN ABORT ABORT GET THE CARS BACK ON THE ROAD

every single police officer in the US in the past 50 years has studied the Kansas City preventative patrol experiment, despite its results being clearly abolitionist on its face! you better believe that in the world of the wire, the hamsterdam case is going right in every subsequent criminal justice textbook that goes to print. now why would that be? why would the establishment be okay with teaching their entire workforce about social experiments that are essentially existential threats to their authority?

because it matters who revolutionary tactics come from. when they teach officers about the Kansas City experiment, it’s an inoculation. if anything similar to hamsterdam (anywhere now, not just in Baltimore) were to naturally manifest among the civilian population later on or a progressive officer starts getting some funny ideas, other officers will instinctively recognize it for what it is and shut it the gently caress down either with some good old fashioned anti-intellectualist rhetoric - and if that doesn’t work - brutal crackdowns and/or reassignment to the pawn shop unit.

that’s not to say the bunny’s of the world shouldn’t try; he has obvious positive effects on people around him, and his example could potentially inspire future revolutionaries, but as we can see the population of Baltimore has been successfully suppressed for a long time. they have little to no class consciousness or institutional memory outside of a few pockets. in all likelihood, bunny made revolutionary change less possible

Reminds me of Top Gear's ongoing thing about speed cameras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADj_lnKVRhE

(Lol at the EU bit at the end, welp)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God Hole posted:

for the person who was talkin about the towers, i recommend checking out the pruitt-igoe myth. it's a documentary about a housing project in st. louis, but unfortunately the story of pruitt-igoe is also the story of urban black housing projects in post-war america. you'll have no problem picturing some of the scenery that might have been found in the towers after watching. there's even a sickening publicity stunt demolition!

With a haunting Philip Glass score

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For some reason I thought this was the Pickle Rick dialogue

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was talking on work slack about the Ever Given and idly wondered aloud how much of the cargo was perishable.

I almost added "The Wire style" but stopped myself

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is especially great knowing how well the actor did the Baltimore accent (the "nepheuu" thing) so authentically. He's got some chops

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well then :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean the whole titular "wire" is all about those newfangled :airquote: burner phones :airquote:, right?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Been reading that thread, just finally got caught up

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm no fancy big-city leftist but it sure seems to me like blue-collar unions are mostly made up of people whose insular and parochial views arise from the social dynamics at play in their workplaces and neighborhoods where they are highly likely to develop strong racial animus and are at high risk of being nationalistic and tribal, and see the union as a means to support and defend their specific in-group against encroachment by the others, even if the union's actual goals are more egalitarian

Rather than being full of high-minded revolutionaries seeking to tear down the class structure that keeps them working on the docks in the first place

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol Ziggy isn't even in the duck row

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Boring" isn't the word, more like "not a character like you would cast an Idris Elba to play, more like the kind of slow-burn, implacable, clinical, never-see-it-coming accountancy evil that makes up the real world instead of these charisma-oozing movie-star types"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Calling the FBI a bunch of hunks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's been a minute since I watched it and I've never done a rewatch, but one of the things I remember really appreciating about The Wire is that it never feels like "A TV Show" — in the sense of being subject to all the little behind-the-scenes whims of casting, writing, budget, all that meta-story stuff that in so many shows you always feel hanging over every situation like "lol ok so this character now has a new physical body for X contrived reason, but we all know it's because the actor quit and had to be replaced" or whatever.

In this show you've got people coming and going all the time. Like you'll be in season 4 or 5 and you haven't thought about Avon Barksdale in forever and you might assume he's been written out because of contract negotiations or something but then suddenly he'll just show up out of the blue once. Or major characters will get killed off right in the middle of a season and that's just the way it goes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MrMojok posted:

He was only 60. And always looked to be in great shape.

He was so skinny (and ripped, good lord) in The Wire that I barely recognized him in later roles.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who hears "sheeeeeeeeeiiiiit" and spells it "shittttttttttttttttttttt"

go back to 2nd grade phonics lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VX2-qTbdvE

color me a bad speller

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love when Clarke Peters shows up in random movies and shows where I'd never have noticed him before for whatever reason but now I'm like "holy poo poo"

When he was the remote outpost town leader in that Foundation show I was like "hey it's Lester Fremen"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wiltsghost posted:

I just watched the first John Wick again a few days ago and forgot he was in it. He, uh, isn't in it very long though.

Yeah, exactly same here, that's what reminded me lol.

Jewmanji posted:

For me this was Do The Right Thing.

Giancarlo Esposito :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I mean the gag was that in Foundation he was basically the leader of a self-sufficient backwater desert town at the edge of the universe, so