Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

escape artist posted:

Well, we learned in Season 5 of The Wire that Baltimore's service vehicles are all pieces of poo poo that are falling apart.
After my recent rewatch of the show I fired up Google Earth and did a streetview tour of both west and east Baltimore (which was pretty depressing) and the first cop car I came across was pretty dented and hosed up and still used in active service. Some things never change I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Finished my second rewatch today and I only now realized that there's only one instance where a cop on the show fires their weapon, and that's Prez who accidentally shoots at a wall offscreen. :aaa: It only dawned on me around S5 so maybe I missed it but I can't think of any other time a cop shot their gun.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

James Totes posted:

Theres also the scene where Prez kills another cop.
Oh yeah. But that was offscreen too though. And also Prez, that's right.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

oswald ownenstein posted:

I can't stand Marlo though - wish he would have gotten killed.
He got it even worse than that in the end; Omar's legend overshadowed his own by miles and Marlo, having never been aware of Omar's challenge, was basically labeled a bitch on the streets. And since he had to leave the game, there's no way for him to prove that claim otherwise anymore. Marlo lost, and he lost hard.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Chris is shown to have a family of his own though, one he's very attached to as well. It's only that Marlo and his work seem to come first to him which, while softening him up a bit, makes him even more terrifying in a way.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Wire, Six Feet Under and The Sopranos are and always will be my Holy HBO Drama Trinity, in that order. Didn't care one bit for GoT, Deadwood was good but ended abruptly which sucked. OZ is alright but indeed goes off the rails towards the end and True Detective is decent I guess if tough to appreciate at times. Boardwalk Empire kicks rear end though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He was also a homeless person who got stabbed and had his dog stomped on by Christian Bale's Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

drat this show looks great in HD. I'd dish out for a Blu-Ray set in a heartbeat.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Taking a Google street view tour around the areas the show was filmed in shows that it's still pretty much like it was back then. It's pretty depressing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

On my 5th rewatch and noticed something. In Season 4 episode 4, "Refugees" when Chris and Snoop put the security guard in the vacant after he dissed Marlo, Snoop takes his badge as a "souvenir", then Chris snags it and throws it away. There's a shot of it landing in the weeds next to the vacant. I wonder why they didn't follow up on that as the shot of the badge landing felt really deliberate as both Chris and Snoop touched it with their bare hands. Maybe they had something planned so the cops would find it and they'd pull prints off of it or something?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

True, but the shot itself is weirdly on the nose and upon several rewatches of the show I've noticed more and more specific close-up shots in the vein of "remember this because it matters" on whatever item or person it was so it caught my attention this time around. I guess it could be just to show that Chris and Snoop actually killed the grocery store security guard since the actual murder isn't shown but it feels too on the nose for the show, honestly.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Also I have to say as much as I already love season 4, I'm warming up to Prez more than I did before watching him establish himself as a teacher in the class. Whenever I thought back to S4 I always remembered him being completely taken by and overpowered by the kids but he's doing pretty drat well pretty drat quick. :3:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I love when he talks to the kids about intimacy and building a life together. It's simultaneously incredibly sweet and also pretty depressing, because it seems like such an alien concept to so many of the students.

It's all somewhat heartwarming and sweet until later when you think back on it and realize that all the progress being made is what most expect kids to know and have already. Then it's just depressing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And Bunk & co. trying to lift prints off of the payphone that was used after Greggs was shot. And the phone at the Greek's when Brandon was picked up by Wee Bey and the Barksdale crew.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cutty is definitely one of the highlights of the show, yeah. Along with Bubbles he's someone who is innately good, just in a bad place and in the end manages to get to a place where he can express it. One of the very few upbeat character arcs in the show.

E: One of the most pleasant and cathartic moments in the show is when Bunny corrects the nurse about Cutty and how he got shot trying to "pull a kid off the corner."

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 6, 2017

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Avon just listens to what Cutty has to say, laughs when he realizes how little he is asking for, hands over far more than he needs to and casually dismisses the idea of being recognized for it (which Cutty goes ahead and does anyway :3:).
I love that moment. Cutty tries so hard to sell it to Avon and when he says the amount and Slim and Avon look at each other and Avon casually tells Slim to give Cutty $15,000 like it's nothing is such a great moment.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's a nice touch in that scene that cutty doesn't even try to explain it himself. IIRC in that scene, while the nurse is talking down to him, he's just laughing like "I wouldn't believe me either"
And you see Cutty and the nurse together in the S4 end montage. :3:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 6, 2017

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

One of my favorite things about the show is that for years to come, Omar will be remembered and feared by everyone on the streets but all Marlo managed to do was have a short reign of terror and he gets forgotten pretty much the minute he's forced off the streets. In the end, Omar wins.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Currently going through season 4 on my fifth? Sixth? rewatch and I can confirm, this show is still pretty dang good.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MrBling posted:

The Guardian wrote a good (and long) article about The Wire.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...-dream-was-dead

That was pretty nice, yeah. Also on that site is a bunch of pictures of the locations used in the show, funny how I recognized almost all of them instantly.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/gallery/2017/may/27/baltimore-15-years-after-the-wire-in-pictures

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Season 2 is the one people dislike on initial viewings but love retrospectively. I’m one of them. It’s a shame we never got even a glimpse of those characters in subsequent seasons aside from the Greek, and Nick being belligerent at Carcetti and co. for a brief moment. I really wanted to see how Ziggy was doing in prison, for instance.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

There’s a quick moment in season 5 where we see Johnny 50 at a homeless camp iirc :(

Oh that's right. Yeah he looks super rough there too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Another BBC article about the show, says nothing new but a few interesting tidbits and another piece hailing it as the best show ever so hey

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180412-how-the-wire-became-the-greatest-tv-show-ever-made

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm currently reading Homicide and it's a pretty great companion piece to this show, even more so, weirdly, than it is to Homicide: Life on the Street. It goes pretty deep into the mentality of the homicide department, the stat game, the politics, all of it. And many of the actual people in it are pretty clear comparisons to characters in The Wire.

Landsman is a bit of a weird one because I now know what he really looks like since he is in The Wire as a different character and the show's version of Landsman looks nothing like him.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wood Harris is in everything and I can't not see Avon when he appears. Dredd and Blade Runner 2049 were weird to watch.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He's only briefly in 2049, it's like one scene I think. But he's very prominent in Dredd and indeed does get hosed up in that one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpzJ-AUVnl0

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

When I hear Frankie Faison I think of Donald Faison who played Turk in Scrubs. Probably because they're brothers.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I only just realized that Chad L. Coleman (Cutty) is Coach in Left 4 Dead 2. Was wondering why his voice sounded so familiar.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Thanks for the spoiler. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

gently caress. :smith:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I only put it together after noticing that like 8/10 of the cast of Boardwalk Empire was in the movie so I kept my eye out for him.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Though once he got out the first time he literally says he's not going back in ever again.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's been a long while since I watched Homicide but I remember being surprised how grim it gets (and how progressive it was for the time), yet it's slightly hampered by being on network and there were parts that felt very much like some notes had come down from produces and executives to change/add/remove something but it's worth a watch, especially if you've read or plan to read the book.

And yeah, it has one of Williams' best performances by far.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He's a lawyer in Liar Liar too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I recently rewatched Red Dragon (the 2002 one) and since it takes place mostly in Baltimore, I figured this is what Valchek did in the 80's.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Also Poot is a murderer who winds up getting away with it and never shows any remorse.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

deoju posted:

David Simon, Ed Burns and George Pelecanos are reportedly doing another Baltimore police show. It is not a sequel to the Wire.

Not that I don't disbelieve you (I don't want to!) but do you have any sources on that? As for not being a sequel, I'm guessing that just means it won't have any of the same characters but if it is about BPD it must have to do with pretty much all of the stuff The Wire deals with so basically,

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Okay, so just as I figured, good. Thanks for the link!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hearing Lance Reddick in Horizon Zero Dawn really threw me, then seeing him in HZD was even more of a mindfuck coming from knowing him so well from The Wire (and somewhat from OZ), but luckily he kills it in that game.