Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just wanted to post that one of my friends threatened to end our friendship after having told me to watch this show for the past few years. I finally broke down and started in January and adored every minute of it.

I ended up spotting this thread and started a complete rewatch with my girlfriend who hadn't seen it before. In between watching a few episodes at a time I'd start reading the threads episode breakdown and good lord :stare: I thought I had caught things I'd missed the first time watching it and this thread showed me how much I missed in terms of the very, very small details.

Just wanted to say thank you for everyone who has written up an episode write up and thanks to this thread in general, because I've absolutely loved reading every page. I'm currently trying to track down a copy of The Corner locally if I can, failing that I'll order one online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

3Romeo posted:

I only did one writeup, and it was a lot of loving work. How Escape Artist and especially Jerusalem did so many, it kinda blows my mind.

I was at a pretty busy period in my life when I wrote that review, so I wasn't able to give it quite the amount of attention that I wanted to--it was more summarative than analytical, I'm sorry to say. But it did teach me to look at the rest of the show with an eye for specific details, especially in regards to camera angles and audio cues. It was a treat, but it also had a lovely side-effect: when I look at most other television shows, they don't measure up. The later seasons of Breaking Bad come close, but I think Gilligan overplayed his hand on occasion when making his show into a modern-day western (complete with a train robbery).

The Wire was guilty of this, too--season 3 is, in large part, an Iraq War allegory, and parts of season 5 are about as subtle as a brick--but when the show focuses more on its thesis (the institutions of modern America, and how they fail the people who are a part of them), there's really nothing better. In seasons 2 and 4, every piece adds to a perfect whole.
To be fair, I don't watch a huge amount of television largely because we don't own one, but no doubt it'll spoil me on the television we do end up watching, you know?

If something gets popular and big on my radar I tend to ignore it or forget about it, I only started watching Game of Thrones for example back in September. I'll have to go check out Breaking Bad at some point.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

He literally got to the point where he'd call me out on not getting around to watching to it every conversion, it got to the point where that's all he was saying to me because he knew how much I'd glue to it and read into it as much as I can, which is exactly what I've done. Cracking bit of television.

Akileese posted:

Watching season 3 and I have to ask...What is the point of Colicchio? He's just such a stereotypical drug cop (that we already saw plenty of in Seasons 1 and 2. I almost think the character exists strictly for Carver to write him up in Season 5. Other than that he just acts like somebody poo poo in his cereal 24/7. I guess I sort of get it but eh, he just seems so useless.
I think that's what he's just for. I think he was just meant to be a representation of the more brutal street side of the police that wasn't interested in actually improving the situation by any means.