Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

escape artist posted:

I've always read that scene as the earliest indication that "Wallace is sharp, and could excel if he weren't born into such dire conditions."

Wallace wasn't the only sharp kid in the high rises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_btz3gs90-s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bodie even knew a bunch of legal terms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO9ZU40RSqw

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Naylenas posted:

"gently caress those West Coast niggas. In B-More, we aim to hit a nigga, y'heard?"

Snoop was probably the only character who I needed subtitles to understand what the gently caress she was saying.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Did you know that Bird was in Onyx? Holy hellballs, the things you miss.

He also was in Moesha.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HTJ posted:

I'm watching Season 5 again and it drives home how much McNulty ('the smartest gently caress in the room') overrates his intelligence and/or commitment. His genius scheme wasn't going anywhere until he enlisted Lester and he was prepared to file bullshit reports on street work until Lester explained why that wouldn't work.

But then again Bunk pretty much solved the case doing good honest po-lice work.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Randomly Specific posted:

He got the shooter, but that comes back to the dilemma the series presents from day one- it was at best a step above street level. No matter what, Bunk wasn't going to get more than Chris and Snoop at his level of investigation.

But then again, all McNulty and Freamon managed to get was Chris.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

awesmoe posted:

Bubbles :3: (I read an interview before season 5 came out that said they felt like they had to give ONE character a happy ending or it would just be too depressing)

Lester retires with his hot girlfriend and has more time to make doll furnitures (which makes more money than honest po-lice work anyway). Cedric becomes a lawyer and Rhonda becomes a judge, they seem to live happily together.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 14, 2013

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spoilers Below posted:

Drug dealing I get, hating someone for something they did I understand, but forcing two otherwise innocent animals to kill one another for your amusement? :smith:

To be fair Cheese felt really bad about it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

gingerberger posted:

Speaking of prop joe, god I hate cheese. I wish he'd get shot in the back of the head by kenard.

No one likes Cheese:

Prop Joe posted:

I got motherfuckin' nephews and in-laws loving all my poo poo up all the time and it ain't like I can pop a cap in their rear end and not hear about it Thanksgivin' time. For real, I'm livin' life with some burdensome niggers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

That scene with Carver in the car after he leaves Randy at the group home :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ClTuBXqQ24
"You gonna help me sergeant Carver?":smith:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/971903844799180800

This isn't a joke: If you donate $500 to a slate of democratic candidates tonight, David Simon will send you a hand-written apology for killing off the Wire character of your choice.

I almost want to do it in order to get Simon write an apology for killing Cheese's dog.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exmachina posted:

Just Bodie, man. He deserved a happy ending.

He got to chose his own death, that's more than the rest of the characters got.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

About halfway through the finale of Season 2. It's amazing how the events in this season were set in motion at least in part because Stan Valchek was butthurt the Priest liked Frank Sobotka more in that moment.

And McNulty placing the murders within his former precinct. The case is pretty much solved because of petty spite.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Idris Elba has started rappin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huaE85-V8u4

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Herc isn't even too stupid, he's just fundamentally lazy.

He isn't that lazy either. He's willing to put in extra work to get the mayor re-elected because he thinks he will gain from it. He's just spectacular unfit to be a cop.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Yeah, Avon would murder a man for testifying, Marlo would do it because he thought he might have given him a funny look.

Avon would kill a man because he though he might have been given him a funny look and then tried to justify it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aces High posted:

aren't they still together at the conclusion of the show?

Yeah, all in all Lester had a pretty good ending.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arguably Stringer Bell's biggest mistake was thinking that he could outsmart Clay Davis on his own.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arguably the only ones that comes out on top are the greeks (if they even are greeks), there's not a single time when the cops are close to shutting down or even interrupting their operations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Any character embedded in a power structure which will retaliate for their death. For example, you can't just go kill Clay Davis without massive blowback. Even the dealers are backed up by their organizations; if you get got, someone will take revenge.

But that's not completely true. A lot of powerful people are killed with no blowback because people are pragmatic enough to realize that revenge is bad for business. If Clay Davis was killed people would talk a lot about how bad it was while being secretively relieved or starting to plot how they would take his place.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why is Marlo so feared? It's Chris that does all the hard work. They're like the opposite of Avon and Stringer, where Avon is the warrior and Stringer is corporate management.

Chris is definitely feared. There's one conversation where it's revealed that people believe he has almost magical powers. They literally calls him the zombie master. People are so scared of him that just the sight of him makes people fear for their life.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 15, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

My favorite Generation Kill fact is that critics found Fruity Rudy to be a completely unbelievable casting decision and characterization for a force recon marine.

Except whoops, the person playing that character is also the literal (ex) force recon marine the character is based on.

As a general rule the characters in a David Simon show are often less outlandish than the real life characters they're based on.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

werdnam posted:

I do like how Bunk and a few other people try to gently nudge Jimmy to realize that he's treating Beadie the same way he treated his ex until he shuts them down. It's a nice touch to have his friends try to help him but also know that nagging him won't make a difference.

Those friends are also doing their best to enable his worst tendencies. He was happy and functional as a beat cop until they dragged him into a murder case.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

I had forgotten that this was also Simon. It was a good show with the exception of the ending. First, the fascists end up being Right All Along because the Jews did have a secret plot to kill Limburgh. And more topically: It works as they thought it would. They remove Lindburgh and everything goes back to normal and FDR wins. Despite all his protests to the contrary the last episode is 100% What Libs Thought Would Happen in 2020.
But also I'm Jewish so I have a soft spot for shows with unapologetic Jewish characters doing Jewish things and pandering to Jewish Americans.

It was the brits who set up the assassination of Lindbergh. The show also ends with agents burning ballot boxes so it's up in the air weather or not everything goes back to normal

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V-Men posted:

They prefer Band of Brothers more b/c the Americans in that are unambiguously the Good guys.

Even BoB has some nuances. Spiers for example guns down unarmed soldiers and the show shows what a shitshow the period right after the war was ( one of the characters says that he keeps losing men even though it's peace).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

I was working in a hospital in 2006 and we all had to be trained on how to use a typewriter because certain medical records were still transcribed using them.

Government and NGOs often are way behind the times when it comes to technology.

Hospitals still uses floppy discs and fax machines in Norway.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Season 4 really is the most heartbreaking season of the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ClTuBXqQ24

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

Lmao true cheese move

I just marvel at how truly unlikable Cheese is. The show has so many characters that are so villainous and psychopathic and yet Cheese stands out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

It's also the evolutionary pressure of the systems that shape these people, I think. You could probably find something similar at the docks, in the schools, at city hall etc. Each subsequent generation needs to be a little more ruthless, a little more cutthroat... dare I say a little more capitalist than the one before them or they die out. Especially as wealth and power get more concentrated and there's just less space for competition in general.

I don't think it ended up fully baked though.

I don't buy that Marlo was more ruthless than Barksdale, remember that these were the guys that casually threw out a dead woman after a party. Marlo is maybe just more honest about it, he doesn't try to delude himself that he follows some sort of code.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I think he is.

Avon's crew kills children, employs child soldiers, kills every one that might go to the cops and treats women like literal garbage. Wee-Bey is every bit as sociopathic and ruthless as Chris and Snoop. Avon is a bit smarter than Marlo but they're basically the same.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cacator posted:

Marlo doesn't trigger instant hatred and revulsion whenever he's onscreen.

Not even after Devonne?

ShowTime posted:

The Greek then. He runs the entire drug trade, making money off everyone, barely takes care of anyone. Even "Boris" has to rely on Barksdale in prison. He transports and trades women, weapon, drugs, whatever. When one of his main boys dies, all he does is take out whatever info and witnesses were involved.
And he's not even greek!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Namond's mom for sure. Everyone else has either some redeeming value or is too abstractly villainous to make me angry.
Honestly she isn't on my top ten most hateful villains on the the Wire. Mostly because Cheese is taking up at least half of that list.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Cheese is hilarious so I file him under "redeeming value".

I file him under "cadaverous motherfucker".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

It's certainly interesting isn't it? Dude must be swimming in money but look at his life.

You're only seeing what he chooses to show others.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

algebra testes posted:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1650886265640714242?t=Eag9dMSpCR81yHixKrSpiQ&s=19

I know this is NFL related but it made me laugh too much not to share.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Mouzone (and Omar) are always one step ahead, in the right place, super cool and can chill out and have a conversation surrounded by Corner Muscle and armed with a little 22 or limping around with a broken leg taking on soldiers. I'd agree with the idea that BM and Omar are the most "cartoonish" characters in a show that's just soaking in a realistic portrayal of cops, criminals and the drug war

Remember that Omar had to be toned down because the guy he was based on really was so over the top that it would seem even less realistic on the show.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Brother Mouzone is the most badass character in a TV show that also has Omar, Wee Bey and Chris.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tony Phillips posted:

The first time my wife and I tried to watch The Wire we got through the first episode and just weren't up for it. I had read way too much about the show to give up on it, but we were just so drat confused about what was going on and who was who.

Ended up stopping and since she hadn't seen it at the time - we binged through the first four seasons of Dexter instead. (I still think the Lithgow season is great, drat it.)

Restarted The Wire after that and accepted that we might not know WTF for a few episodes. Knowing that going in made a world of difference. Enjoyed the Hell out of it, of course.

I think it's an accepted rule that the Wire only clicks with the majority of viewers after the "gently caress" scene.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kosmo Gallion posted:

My favourite reaction is when Herc tells Valchek about the Mayor. Valchek's laughter about the prime piece of info Herc has. Like he wishes he had something like that himself but he's too old to bother with that so decides to give this young guy some free advice. It's almost heartwarming.

The best thing about it is that Herc is unable to capitalize on that info because Royce is too incompetent to win the election.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cheese is awfully high on the list for a cadaverous motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

Cheese getting what he deserves is one of my favorite moments in the last episode and why Slim Charles should be ranked higher.

Also, Poot is looking a little too low on that list.

It hets better because Method Man had noticed that when other character died, people on the internet wrote about how tragic their death was and so on. So he decided to check what people wrote after Cheese died and it was all just "he got what he deserved."