Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Alhazred posted:

Snoop was probably the only character who I needed subtitles to understand what the gently caress she was saying.

My favorite is when she goes to the B and Q American equivalent to buy a nail gun. At first I was like is it a girl or boy, then I was like what is she saying, and finally I had to fast forward my DVD a scene to check I had put the right DVD in the player.

Is this start of season 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Oh we are getting closer to the introduction of the greatest thing in the wire ever!

Fuzzy Dunlop!

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Some really great moments from this episode. Great write up

One question I have always had being a Scot some of the lingo goes over my head. What does go-go mean in the stringer conversation, the general music scene, a specific band a type of music???

Also the whole McNulty in the morning thing was just heart crushing, dude finally thought it was all going good. If she would have just taken him back Season 5 would have been different.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

chesh posted:

loving Kima laughs it off

While I agree that the way the cops also shrug/laugh/ make light off, is something from our point seems horrible but I do think its kind of the right way to go.

Simon has been in the squad rooms and probably sure this is what it is pretty much like. While it kinda of sucks from a single sitting point of view, you should think of the characters themselves. Their jobs requires that if they take everything seriously your probably going to burn out quick and most people find that by laughing it off they can deal with it better by really not dealing with it. At least they are working to get their wrong doers!

I had a friend who joined the police and lasted about a year before packing it in. I always remember him telling me about the whole induction part and watching CCTV video of people stabbing others and how upset it made him.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

This episode is stellar. I know people really like the Ziggy killing scene but the whole him and Frank in prison is properly one of the best acted things I have ever seen.

Also that end shot is fantastic, at least Frank gets to keep his head and hands!

If only Brother and Omar could have had their own mini series together! There stand off is another great moment of the show!

Good job

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

cletepurcel posted:

I guess the prudent move for Avon would have been to stay on the defensive and wait for Marlo to come to them.

To be fair to Avon he had him right where he wanted him and Marlo's death is only stopped by the police raiding Avon.

We missed our shot yo!

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Love season 4 really the kids just made it for me. I think the Carver and Randy moment was just heart breaking especially when you see Randy again in season 5.

Does anyone know what happened to all of them. Micheal is the only one I know about.

At least Namond makes it out thanks to Bunny the whole conversation about him telling Namond that only his friends call him that and what he tells Namond he will do to him if he reveals why or something was a great moment that I have sadly forgotten the specifs off.

For some reason my main memory of Dukie is him watching Dexter, which I kind of found odd and out of place.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

*sorry double post

ally_1986 fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 21, 2013

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Randy ends up in a group home, obviously becoming a hardened, damaged individual.

Dukie ends up working/living with the trash peddler and I think the final montage shows him shooting dope. :(

Michael becomes the new Omar, and Namond gets out of the game when he is mentored (and ultimately adopted I think?) by Colvin.

Sorry I meant what happened to the actors. I know Micheal went off to 90210 but have any of the others continued acting?

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think someone pointed this out in a youtube comment, or maybe it was on these forums, I forget, but the worst thing is that he doesn't even get what a lovely thing he did. If you ask him, the worst thing he'll say he did is that he lost a camera. Which, as it happens, is the only thing that gets the department to get around to firing him.

Marlo "You ever find that camera?
Herc "Cost me the job"

Its kind of funny that of all the stuff Herc did that is how Burrell was able to deal with him.

Though Herc ends up the real winner he gets brisket and an cosy job with eh evil lawyer...whats his name Levy?

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

As a teacher I can somewhat relate to the Prez thing. Seems no one even bothered to tell him there was a resource room to look in. I have been in a school once which still had USSR in the atlases they used but we were not using them every other day like you would a maths textbook!

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Great write up as always! Sadly I think Breaking Bad knocked the wire off my favourite TV show ever but I envy any person who gets to watch either of these shows for the first time.

The whole thing with Chris is fantastic. It's really interesting to have a show that hints at the horrible stuff Micheal and Chris probably suffered through but never hits you over the head with.

I'm sure other shows would have done flashbacks or had one of them tell horrible stories but no the whole thing is conveyed by Chris understanding why Micheal wants him dead and not needing him to fully explain and by the brutal killing of him. It was horrible to watch and even the fact that snoop is taken aback by it shows just how unnerving it was.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

So quick lingo question, the word humble appears a few times this episode related to charges (McNulty and Little Kev). I take it to mean a kind of bullshit charge that is pathetic but still breaking the law, say going 1mph over the speed limit?

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

I forgot how full on sad that episode was.

I never really released how much of it was to do with the lose of family.

Bubbles kills his surrogate son (Which he bears some responsibility from - if you keep a gun in your house you have a responsibility to take steps to ensure your children couldn't find and use it)

Randy loses his step mum and ends up in a foster home and by season 5 is such a different person and not just physically, Dukie loses two families of school and the people he lives with, Namond can't bear to be around his.

Oddly Micheal is the only one who gets to pick and choose his family as he takes his bro to a new house and goes with "his" people.

I feel bad for Cutty, he always seems to make bad in the moment decisions and then trying to do the right thing gets hosed up by Monk. gently caress you Monk, Cutty is the man. At least he gets to meet a cute nurse soon enough even though he cant watch Deadwood in hospital!

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

- there is nothing more important to him that having his name feared, respected and recognized, and giving Bodie that recognition posthumously was a mark of respect.

Gotta agree. Especially when you think about the scene with him in prison next season. I still think that is one of the most shocking/surprising things is his outburst as he is nothing but cold, calm and collected through his entire arc untill he finds out Omar was calling him out by name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

Just curious, but what are some of the things that people didn't like about the show? It can't ALL be gold, right?

The pilot episode is slow, Season 5 story liner borders on the ludicrous and boring with the newspaper angle but apart from that it is one of the best things I have ever watched.

If your not American some of the politics might not interest you or understand them.

But seriously compared to other shows it stands as an all time great for a reason.