Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I was under the impression that it was a copycat murder, not there being an actual serial killer, although it's been a while since I've watched this show.

The best parts of the fifth season all involve us seeing what has become of characters like Bubbles, Johnny 50, Nick Sobotka, Randy Wagstaff, and the like. It's unfortunate, because they couldn't've made an entire season out of vignettes like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

God, that final scene with Bubbles makes me cry every single time. His entire arc this season was just wonderfully done, and is among the best things this show has done.

Thank you, escape artist and Jerusalem, for making this thread.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Gambrinus posted:

Bloody awesome stuff, boys. Any chance of sticking them all up on a website somewhere?

For real, this needs to be archived somewhere.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

According to Wikipedia, he did the penultimate episodes for each season, along with S2E8 and S3E4. So yes, it is fair to say that his episodes are among (if not) the bleakest in the entire show.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Renzian posted:

I think to get the full impact of the statement Cutty's arc makes about ex-cons place in society, one has to sort of read between the lines. The only way Cutty was able to get on his feet and escape the Game completely is because he had all this help and these friends in high places who were willing to help him get the permits and stuff needed to make his gym, and to navigate through the red tape. Now let's look at real life. 99% of ex-cons don't have that. 99% of ex-cons are seen as the scum of the earth by 'respectable' folk. So, Cutty had a way out, he had hope, but the vast majority of ex-cons in real life don't. In real life, Cutty probably would have either been forced to stay back in the Game or end up sleeping on benches just scraping by.

Just imagine what would've happened if he didn't have Avon to lend him the money to start a gym...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

thathonkey posted:

Yeah I honestly wish we could get a redo of S5 somehow sans the ridiculous fake serial killer plot :( It sullied several characters for me also.

Like i appreciate what they were going for but it was just too out there. Hamsterdam was way more believable.

I could tolerate the serial killer subplot, but the newsroom scenes were death. I would vastly prefer a season five where those were removed, instead.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

gingerberger posted:

Her, Snoop, Marlo, maybe Cheese come to mind.

Now, now, Snoop was responsible for the scenes where she bought the nailgun, as well as her response to drive-by shootings. She can't have been completely irredeemable.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

I couldn't get into Deadwood. It seemed like a show that tried to go for a :airquote:dark and mature:airquote: take on the Western, but failed to give us characters that were likeable in any way. Unlike series like The Wire, or Game of Thrones, nobody seemed like they were having any fun, or that they enjoyed anything. Instead, it was an endless parade of people being miserable, angry, and backstabby. What's more, I had heard a (possibly inaccurate?) spoiler that the reason Swearengen was so ruthless was because he had been raped as a child, which is the kind of thing you'd see in poorly-written fanfiction.

Also the modern cursing came across as completely artificial.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

3Romeo posted:

It took me a long time to get into Deadwood, but once I did, I was hooked. And I know it's heresy in this thread, but I think it's better than The Wire in many ways. Or, to put it better, I think it completes the story The Wire tells. Deadwood is about the way people coalesce around symbols and create society, while The Wire is about the decay of both those things. Both shows stand alone, but looking at relationships between them--the same way you might look at inter-textual relationships between novels--gives you a whole new perspective.

In regards to the swearing, there was an interview with Milch where he mentions they tried to have era-specific curse words but everyone came off like Yosemite Sam, so they elected to keep the modern language in to achieve the same effect. I don't know how far along you got in the series, but in season 2 (and especially in season 3) the language takes on a Shakespearean tilt (a lot of it is in iambic pentameter), and it gains a perverse kind of poetry.

Also, the spoiler you mentioned is a lie. He was never raped, but he did have a violent upbringing (full of physical, not sexual, abuse), and he perpetuates the cycle of violence. (Another theme similar to Simon's work.) I actually just finished my yearly rewatch of Deadwood, and I really suggest you give it another go. When you play the parallel game--that is, when looking for analogs between Deadwood's characters and The Wire's--you'll start to see a ton of similarities. Milch and Simon were both talking about the same thing, but they came at it in two different directions.

Ah, ok. I didn't actually make it that far- I dropped it midway through the fifth episode- but the way you describe it makes it sound like there's a lot more going on than appeared on the surface. I also need to have words with the people who recommended it to me originally, to find out where exactly they got that interpretation of Swearengen-at-the-orphanage from. :crossarms:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

escape artist, are you still around? The OP is missing a link to the recap of -30-.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

vuk83 posted:

How is it that 16:9 and 4:3 is not the same. The ratios are the same. I dont get it.

1.777... and 1.333... are not the same number.