Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

EvanSchenck posted:

It might also be intended to reinforce the point that D is a bit of a chump, since Levy feels ok putting hands on him and D accepts it (imagine if Levy pulled that on Bird).

I think that Levy would smack Bird, Wee-Bey, even Stringer if they were writing out a confession when he walked in. Levy is protecting, and protected by Avon. He is paid to be blunt and effective because blunt and effective keeps everyone out of jail and making money. If he doesn't present himself as an authority figure who is above them, they won't listen to him. If they don't listen to him, he can't protect Avon.

His knowledge of the legitimate side of the world makes him dominant even over the muscle, and he understands street culture enough to know that the game doesn't tolerate beta males. Levy needs compliance and cooperation from guys fall in line by force or threat of force so it's natural that when he's alone in the box with a banger he's going to treat them like the fuckup children they are in his world.

It's not like they're going to tell anyone that they got punked out by a balding, tubby white guy and even if they took offense they'd only be in a position to act on it if he'd done his job right. I feel like beating a murder rap is the kind of currency that can ease some hurt feelings.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Zombie Raptor posted:

A big part of me wishes they had just made Jimmy an immigrant from the UK. Usually it's Idris's accent (as has been mentioned before) in things like this that I cannot ignore, but West steals the show in terms of bad accents for at least season one. I will pay more attention to this as I progress.

Of course, then the accent would have been even more distracting.

And he couldn't have done his "british accent" in season 2, which justifies every other line he flubbed.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

Great episode. I like the effect of the timeskips especially with the caliber of acting but I'm not sure it was the best way to tell this story -- showing a chronological slide into corruption would've been better than hopping from 2017 to 2015 to 2003-5. But I'll wait until the series is over to make a final judgement on that.

I've adjusted pretty well

2003-5: poo poo was always hosed up
2015: specific poo poo was hosed up
2017: consequences (if any) of the specific fuckups

I'm at least following characters okay even if I'm hosed for names for half of them. Marlo and Poot are just Marlo and Poot.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Dude was an inferior John Edwards clone

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The dude who played Savino, another copover actor in this, went method.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I want Simon to shoot the moon and give me at least one scene of beat cop Snoop

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Rochallor posted:

please talk about the shield

This is how I feel about Patriot.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Because you are a person of taste and refinement.

Also just a heads up that Michael Dorman, who plays John Tavner, does a couple seasons of For All Mankind where he does a hell of a job too.

I aspire to be a McMillan Man.

Dornan is also good in the modern pulp western Joe Pickett. It's as deep as the name on the tin suggests but I'll watch anything he's in.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

While we're pitching shows that you might have missed, I'll bang the drum for Patriot, which is still on Prime. It's a dryly comic deconstruction of James Bond that has surprising heart and interesting characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

drat Calvin you know I got the bingo tonight.