Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

escape artist posted:

I'm going to err on the side of "Jesus, I hope this is the case" and say that people just didn't know that a playbook consists of diagrams, and rather, thought it consisted of words. Not all Wire fans are sports fans. Also, some people might not have English as their first language, so they heard "You can't read a ????book."

Well as a non-American I often have to relisten to the dialogue of the street characters, the slang + the accent is very alien and it can be pretty easy to misunderstand things. I find Stringer, Bubbles and Poot to be particularly difficult, Stringer mumbles a shitload.

But I still got that Avon was telling him that he couldnt read between the lines of his playbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Joe is also much older then Avon and there are times when Avon's skittishness seems outright paranoid and inexperienced. Prop Joe has learned not to worry about things like this and has good, solid systems developed for avoiding exposing himself legally that he has a great deal of confidence in.

If the police had tailed Joe home from the basketball game instead of Avon, I imagine Joe would have let them. I'm a local electronics repair retailer, what do I have to hide? Let them follow.

EDIT: I just remembered that Prop extensively uses Levy's mole at the justice department, something that Stringer is never seen doing. He would know about any wiretaps or surveillance before it even happened. Prop Joe is much more entrenched in the system then Avon is with better connections, he has no need to be paranoid.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 19, 2013

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

West Side keeps losing to them at basketball. 'nuff said.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Also Yojimbo is a belter of a film and you should watch it anyway.

Edit: I'm rewatching series 2 over at my mums place, she can't understand a word Bunk Moreland is saying.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 24, 2013

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

You guys are far, far too hard on McNulty.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

quote:

How so? He's an alcoholic, a bad father, worse husband and an incredibly selfish and arrogant person with an obsessive personality. He's also a good friend, a talented detective, a better patrolman and somebody with tremendous potential to be a good person who frequently, infuriatingly fucks things up for himself and those around him. He gets credit where it is due but rightfully attacked for the stupid things he does.

Most of the comments are geared towards emphazising his negative points rather then his positive ones. Every good thing he does is written off as his drive to be the smartest gently caress in the room, and every bad thing he does is blown up beyond it's ramifications. Nevermind that he's the first on the scene to Kima's shooting, delivers her CPR and accompanies her to the hospital (he's covered in her blood, he at least needs a change of clothes before he can return to work). Nope, he's 'wallowing in self pity' and 'doesn't have the poo poo to handle a moment'.

McNulty, for all his faults, is still one of the very few cops thats willing to even try to change the horribly unjust, dysfunctional system he works within. Almost every other officer is pretty complicit in it's failings. I don't think his character gets enough credit for that. Maybe it's me but I think there's a great deal of nobility in a sisyphean struggle.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Wait, hold on a second, weren't you guy in the other thread that took umbrage when I said that Tony Soprano was just a flat out sociopath that was extremely skilled at acting like a human being, claiming him to be a far more nuanced character? And here you are flat out describing McNulty as nothing more then 'a pretty big piece of poo poo?' Holy hypocrisy batman.

And how on [/i]earth[i] do you come to the conclusion that Valchek is 'good police'? I'm watching season 2 right now, Valchek is horrible police. Petty, careerist, self indulgent, misguided, vindictive, and out of touch. He spends most of his time checking prank photographs of his police van for fingerprints for gods sake.

quote:

There are times that McNulty absolutely deserves credit, and he'll get them when they come up, but in season one I feel the point of his character is more to showcase the faults and follies of the typical "loose cannon" archetype.

Yeah I agree with most of what you have written, and certainly with the deconstruction of the 'loose cannon', I just think that in an effort to assess the faults of what is traditionally a 'hero' character, we are over emphasizing his negative characteristics and ignoring some of the depth of the character in the process. Like with what Cletepurcel wrote, Mcnutty is the guy on his hands and knees giving her first aid, but Clete cant see a policeman on the ball and in the moment, it's just police instinct. Why? Would such an act be dismissed so readily if it were another officer tending to her? I get the impression people tend to overemphasize the negative qualities of flawed but largely decent characters (D'Angelo, McNulty), and ignore the very serious transgressions of much more sinful characters (Omar).

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

No, I'm the guy (one of many) that said you lack nuance, and oversimplify in an annoying way. See also: you strawmaning me as saying McNulty is "nothing more" than a piece of poo poo, along with a fictitious moral judgement you're imposing on me as if I'm saying that McNulty and Tony Soprano exist on some equivalent flat spectrum of "good person"/"bad person" where they're the same.

Christ.

I can only respond to the post you made. That's not strawmanning, that's called 'quoting', because there isn't a hint of balance or nuance in the post you just made, it's literally just 3 paragraphs of 'McNulty is a piece of poo poo'.

A strawman would be claiming I ever said that you (or anyone else) study characters by observing them on a flat spectrum of morality where everyone is the exact same shade of grey, when what I actually said was that the complexities of multi-faceted characters can introduce certain biases in the attitudes of the viewer based on the moral outlook of said character (what I actually said).

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Another interesting parallel is Sydnors reaction to the case wrapping up. He becomes the new McNulty by the end of season 5, passing off tips to judges and all that. Here he is declaring that this case doesn't feel over - there has to be more to the chase.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Sydnor knows, and I've no doubt in five years time he's off pulling similar crap (he learned from the best!)

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

And across town, Michael gets shot in the head by D'Angelos kid, Dukie breaks down during a speech at an NA meeting Dukie still has a long way to fall, and Clay Davis is entering his 11th term.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 4, 2013

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I got the strong impression, from the moment Lester and McNulty sit down and have their little drink in season 1 ('they're gonna ask you where you wanna go...') that McNulty and Lester are very much cut from the same cloth. Lester just happens to be older, wiser, and more sober, giving him the appearance of a stability and morality that eludes McNutty. They are both intellectually vain, risk taking cops who have been shown to be happy to gently caress with authority for the sheer hell of it. When Lester does get on board with the serial killer plan, his eyes light up more out of how clever he thinks it is than anything else.

The ending montage, which gives us an impression of the cyclical nature of the characters in the show (Pearlman the new Phelan, Michael the new Omar, etc), left me with a really strong impression that McNulty is the new Lester. He hasn't strictly been fired, merely told that he is going to be buried deep in the department if he doesn't quit, far away from any real police work (like the pawn shop unit). He's not going to quit. He looks out over the city one last time and you don't get this sense of resignation about him, the show ends for McNulty much the way it does for Vick in The Shield. Neither of them can stop being who they are.

Eventually he will be down there long enough for everyone to forget what he did (13 years and 4 months).

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 31, 2014

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

well sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit

fuckpot posted:

Just watched Goodfellas for the eleventy billionith time and noticed that the doctor who insists on treating Henry during the helicopter chase scene is none other than Clay Davis.

Watch the 25th hour. He even pulls out the line.

And Atlanta. And CHIPS. He's been busy lately, ol' Clay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Just started I think my 4th rewatch, this time with my mom. We are staying with my mom for a few weeks while in between houses.

I just sent her episode summaries from this thread for the episodes we've watched so far.
We are up to S1 E8 and I think she is finally able to recognize who Avon is. This was very problematic at first.

I guess my point is that this thread rules and thanks for typing all the words.

I tried this with my mum, gave up when I realised she thought bunk was one of the 'bad guys'.