Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Andre Royo, Method Man (Cheese), and Tristan Wilds (Michael) were all in a pretty awful movie called Red Tails last year.

For me season 1 is the best by itself, but I really like every rendition when I'm watching the season in question. The Wire is one of the few shows that I actually watch the opening credits every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Slo-Tek posted:

Just noticed she left the old 300$ Dewalt behind on the counter.

She also tipped the salesperson $800, more than what the nailgun actually cost. I'm doing my rewatch with a friend who hasn't seen the wire before and I can't wait till we get to this scene.

Also, This American Life recently had a show on "dopplegangers" where they psychologically compared a young man on the streets of Philadelphia with a young veteran from Afganhistan:

quote:

Act Two: In Country, In City

For decades, the writer Alex Kotlowitz has been writing about the inner cities and the toll of violence on young people. So when he heard about a program at Drexel University where guys from the inner city get counseling for PTSD, he wondered if the effect of urban violence was comparable to the trauma that a person experiences from war. Kotlowitz talks to a military vet from Afghanistan and a guy from Philadelphia who’s lived in some pretty bad neighborhoods to find out if they are doubles of some sort. Alex's is the author of the book There are No Children Here and producer of the documentary film The Interrupters. (23 minutes)

Special thanks to the program Healing Hurt People at Drexel University for assistance with this story.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/484/doppelgangers

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

No, she gave him 800$ for a 680$ nailgun. 120$ tip for him to take care of the actual purchase. Still, not a bad days work. earned dat bump.

Yeah I just watched it again and I didn't hear her say "you take care of that" I guess it proves the point that she's hard to understand though :v:

I'm pretty sure she's saying buck as in ~$100, like how a dime bag was $10

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I always thought of Slim Charles as one of those pawns that made it to the other side. Its not hard to imagine him as a corner boy and when we meet him he is an enforcer for the Barksdales. After that goes south he then manages to make his way into being Joe's right hand man. But when Marlo dismantles the co-op and tries to give him some territory: "...sorry man but I ain't no CEO"

I like Slim Charles a lot, he's one of the few street characters that seems to have heart in the face of the game at the end.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

escape artist posted:

Also, let me point out a little Wire easter egg for you folks.

In the episode Jerusalem just reviewed, when Kima and McNulty are trying to flip Marvin on Avon, guess who else is in the courtroom?

Check out the officer. It's Officer Chris Partlow! Yes, Gbenga Akinnagbe was an uncredited extra, playing a different role in this episode, two seasons before he landed the role as Marlo's #2.

He was also pretty nervous about being an extra and stared right at the camera during the scene. Earlier in that video they state that Lance Reddick was the 2nd choice for bubbles behind Andre Royo. That would have been different.

Also, great job on the writeup Jerusalem!

Fellis fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 14, 2013

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I don't remember the sequence of events there, I thought Cheese's betrayal is what kills Joe because he's already on his way out of Baltimore to get away from Omar.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Parachute Underwear posted:

Oh man. Totally forgot about this line by Bernard in 03x12.

"I can't wait to go to jail..."

"Wha'd you say?! What the gently caress did you say Bernard!!?"

My Wire rewatch buddy has been sick for 2 weeks and I...I..just need... Yo escape artist lemme hold :10bux: till Friday

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

escape artist posted:

Herc isn't evil, he's just incompetent. Even as the private investigator for Levy, he's pretty incompetent. Things just fall into place for him, so he becomes mishpocha to Levy.

Although Herc does help out Levy by rushing along the Major Crimes case when he steals Marlo's number. I always thought it was funny that Levy is so happy that Stanfield's crew starts using cell phones again because he knows that they are eventually going to get caught and will need his services in the court cases.

I actually don't remember, is there anything else Herc does for Levy in S5? I just remember him showing up to the police bar a few times to buy drinks for everyone.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Honestly the more I watch the show, the more D'Angelo's character fascinates me. On the surface level he's a pretty nice guy in a bad situation and you end up feeling really bad for him as you watch his family influence him to go in all the wrong directions. But the more I watch, the more I get the sense that he's a pretty selfish, self-centered person who likes to think of himself as an intrinsically good person, but really isn't.

I'm hoping whoever does the writeups for Season 2 can chart Ziggy's character development the same way. I'm rewatching with a friend who has never seen the wire, and his hostility and displeasure at Ziggy really sticks out to me as I feel sorry for the guy because everyone really does treat him like poo poo when all he wanted was a little respect. Of course knowing what happens to Ziggy and Frank helps temper the reflexive "gently caress OFF ZIGGY" that definitely occurs on the first viewing.

Just like to say thanks for the write-ups while escape artist is dealing with other stuff, Jerusalem. This is one of the few threads that I completely read and I really have enjoyed looking at this show in great detail. :)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I watched the episode where Ziggy shoots Double G tonight and when he comes out of the store there is a slowed down, blurry perception shot that really stuck out for me. I thought all of those shots were only in season 1.

Also holy poo poo S2 really takes off when Ziggy shoots Double G and Valcheck calls in the Feds. All that poo poo hitting the fan at once and its really off to the races! I'll probably watch S2E11 tomorrow and have to say goodbye to Frank again :smith:

e: Also its amazing how much the detail gets accomplished and how many toys they get when they aren't on Burell's poo poo list. The fancy GPS system is a far cry from the typewriters of S1.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 21, 2013

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I like that Bodie and Shamrock are listening to Prairie Home Companion before Bodie gets in the second car, and then after Bodie is still listening to Prairie Home Companion! I always imagine he got in and flips on the radio and looks for the station, curious about the strange programming :3:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I love the western showdown style scene between Major Crimes and the FBI. Its wonderfully timed and the joke/reaction is perfectly in character and really makes the characters feel human.

I don't think Koutris is corrupt, he is doing what every other law enforcement officer does in the show. Doing favors and ignoring crimes of a CI in order to roll up to a more important target. He is just doing it on a much larger scale. Except for Herc, Fuzzy Dunlops never did wrong by anyone.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I finally got to S4 watching with my newbie friend. :neckbeard:

So many good scenes in the first and second episodes, great parallels and callbacks to earlier seasons. I might have to try a write-up myself in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Literally just finished the series with some friends earlier today (their first watch), so it was a real bummer to find out :(