Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I also think he is a far, far better policeman than McNulty (part of the reason he reacts so strongly to McNulty's "how many people can do what we do?" speech in a later season, in my opinion). Part of that may be because he's older and actually came up in a police culture that wasn't completely hosed YET, but I think mostly it's because Freamon is a remarkable person - an intelligent, hardworking man who not only doesn't mind doing his research/keeping up on legal/procedural matters but actually enjoys it.

Contrast McNulty's disgust when dealing with the paperwork for Rhonda and Phelan, and his struggles to understand it, while Freamon not only instantly understands it all but seems to have had the information in his mind already. He knew that they would need D's number, McNulty didn't even consider that he would have to do anything to get it. He seems to have thought filling out the paperwork itself would let them somehow pull the information from out of a register somewhere.
I'm watching Season 5 again and it drives home how much McNulty ('the smartest gently caress in the room') overrates his intelligence and/or commitment. His genius scheme wasn't going anywhere until he enlisted Lester and he was prepared to file bullshit reports on street work until Lester explained why that wouldn't work.

Looking back on the scene where Phelan insults McNulty in front of Rhonda, Phelan seems like less of an rear end in a top hat (but still definitely an rear end in a top hat) when you know that McNulty actually is bit of an ignorant bastard who does everything half-baked.

OppyDoppyDopp fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU