Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Spoilers Below posted:

A similar thing actually happened to me at a Chinese restaurant once, where neither myself nor my friends knew how to properly flag down the roving food carts (this style of restaurant has a proper name which is escaping me). It was a little embarrassing, but we got over it. Anyone can learn to order food at a restaurant.

For anyone interested, I'm pretty sure you're talking about a Dim Sum restaurant :china:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Which season did Steve Earle do? The only three I really liked were S1,2,4 (or Blind Boys of Alabama, Tom Waits, and The Best Version.

I believe Steve Earle did the Season 5 version.

e: Here it is.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

I always figured that they went for a quick and savage surprise attack on Bird specifically BECAUSE Omar told him he was a violent man who would go down fighting without a second thought. This way there was no risk of (police) casualties or escape. It's true that it would have put them at risk of a police brutality case, but it's certainly not something they haven't wiggled out of in the past (after all, who knows exactly what happened in this poorly lit street at night...?), and it probably wouldn't have resulted in any serious lasting damage seeing as the bottle was in a bag which would prevent anything happening with glass shards. They might have even been able to claim justifiable force considering Bird's known violent nature, had it come to that.

BattleCake fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 12, 2013

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Just a small detail: "Yakame" is actually America-Chinese cuisine, not korean :chef:. So I guess Herc was slightly righter (but for the same, racist reasons :v:).

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Edgar Death posted:

As everybody else has stated, great write ups, Jerusalem. I'm in the middle of my own rewatch but I'm a little bit ahead and may step back a couple episodes to keep up with the thread. I'm impressed on your take on D'Angelo. It's not hard to figure out that he's not quite a saint but you're picking up on some subtle stuff here that reveals the true heart of his character, despite his good intentions. He really is a very interesting character.

Yeah, the insights on stuff like D'Angelo's character definitely help me appreciate this on a re-watch. Thanks for the great work Jerusalem!

escape artist posted:

That one state police officer who was selling the "coke" to Orlando, I like to believe that once the cash exchanged hands, Orlando was handed a bag that had a police badge in it.

That's always what I've imagined, but they don't actually show it.

This is exactly what I imagine too.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

escape artist posted:

Killing Butchie.

Or was it shooting the delivery lady and framing him for it?

Either one was loving ruthless and I couldn't imagine Avon or Stringer doing it, because they were of an older, a somewhat more respectable (comparatively) generation than Marlo's.

I think the delivery lady was first. Not to mention putting a bounty on his head. As for Butching, they also tortured him before killing him.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

I seem to remember Bodie listening to some nature-documentary-esque show about the springtime and caterpillars when he's driving alone. It strikes me that there's some potential significance to this but it's been a while since I'v seen that scene.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

It's a bit soul-crushing how the ending to each season is mostly depressing, or at best bittersweet. There are no (or at least very few) "happy endings" on this show. It's part of why the show is so compelling and entertaining (not in the schadenfreude way or anything) to watch, but sometimes it can get a bit too heavy. A friend of mine once described the feel of the show as being "too real" and in a way I have to agree. :smith:

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

That's fair, the very end of the series has some good endings but I meant more like the ending to each individual season usually felt mostly lovely. As well, while some of the individual characters got "happy endings", a lot of others ones (especially the ones from the street) had some less-than-optimal fates, in addition to the fact that the real main character of the show, Baltimore, doesn't really change for the better much.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

You'll notice that Cheese's assistant (forgot his name) washes his dog with milk before the fight, which google seems to indicate is to neutralize things such as spicy stuff that might discourage the enemy dog from biting your dog (presumably this is a rule of the dogfight). As he does this, he spots the other people rubbing their hands on a blue towel first before rubbing the dog, implying that they're putting something on the dog that they shouldn't be.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Wait, Nick makes a cameo in season 5? :psyduck: I remember the scene at the homeless areas with Johnny 50 but when did Nick show up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

I would just like to post this in case some people here haven't seen it yet, I love it way too much and I think it deserves more views:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iTJVz7nSao