Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013
As everybody else has stated, great write ups, Jerusalem. I'm in the middle of my own rewatch but I'm a little bit ahead and may step back a couple episodes to keep up with the thread. I'm impressed on your take on D'Angelo. It's not hard to figure out that he's not quite a saint but you're picking up on some subtle stuff here that reveals the true heart of his character, despite his good intentions. He really is a very interesting character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013
I can't be the only one who was worried about the fate of Weebey's fishies during D'Angelo's downfall. :saddowns: Hopefully they weren't more victims of the system who slipped through the cracks

quote:

Is it the ronin though, or is it more the old west gunslinger (not that the two aren't abundantly connected/similar/Kurosawa films were remade as westerns more than once). Aesthetically it fits too, with the trench cost and shotgun. Maybe you could put into better words yourself because I stayed up last night playing dust and drinking and now my words don't work so well.

I remember seeing in "some interview somewhere" that the actor who played Omar was told to watch and emulate characters from westerns. I've always liked Omar because he reminds me of an old west desperado as well, but like you said, they're very similar character types anyway.

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013
I'm still catching up with the thread and want to bring this up before you start covering season 2. The first time I watched The Wire Polk and Mahone kind of just passed me by but this time around I'm loving the few spotlights they get and just how completely useless they are. I just don't understand how cops like that could exist. What do they even do? How do they get away with taking a department salary for years, apparently, and doing absolutely nothing for anybody? Are there people like that who can just get away with getting drunk all day on the taxpayers dime?

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013

cletepurcel posted:

Having said that I always feel guilty at how funny I find Rawls' fist pump scene to be. Also I think if he ever found out that McNulty was not only the guy who saddled him with the 14 murders but was responsible for them being classified as murders to begin with, I think he'd skip from just trying to kill his career to straight up trying to kill him.

He knows, he gets word that all of the reports are coming from "some useless gently caress in the marine unit" and "his man in the marine unit". The first death he laughs off and gives McNulty credit for his wit, but the 13 additional bodies probably had him contemplating actual murder. But then again, that would gently caress up his clearance rate. :v:

What I like about this episode is that the general theme seems to be petty passive aggressive revenge. Everybody is abusing what power they have to gently caress over everybody else. Valcheck sends his police and pulls strings, Frank steals his surveillance van, Tilghman trashes Wee Beys room, McNulty deals his blow to Rawls. This is juxtaposed with The Greek having Sam killed- he's most efficient at actually "settling" the problem of the dead girls because he operates outside of the system and doesn't have to pussyfoot around. The Greek is able to actually find who is responsible and slit his throat before the police can even start an investigation because of all the bullshit that goes on with the girls in this episode. When everybody else is crossed, their revenge can only make life more difficult for whoever crossed them (although a couple of these revenges will indirectly cause much greater ramifications, I know). When The Greek is crossed, somebody dies for it, pure and simple.

Edgar Death fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 14, 2013

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I couldn't disagree with this interpretation of Avon more. Time and again you'll hear Avon talk about how weak he looks, about how the boy Marlo's punking him, about how he wants his corners. When it came to the streets, Avon absolutely wanted everybody to know who he is ("You know the name?" "Every mothafucka up in them towers know the name!") but when it came to the police, he was smart enough to know that a name ringing out on every corner in West Baltimore isn't enough for the police to get anything to stick to you, which is why even though some people in the BPD knew his name, they didn't have a photo or an address or a vehicle registered to his name or anything. On the street, it doesn't matter if the Escalade you're seen being chauffeured around in is registered in your name or not, but in a court of law, it does. I also somewhat disagree with the notion of Stringer being a double-crossing schemer from the beginning, but he definitely wasn't "right" about how to do business, nor was he as smart as we probably all thought he was on our first viewing.

The way I've always viewed the diverging motivations of Avon and Stringer is this: Avon's driving principle was "who cares how much money we got and how much poo poo we run if our names don't ring out and no one knows about it?" and Stringer's driving principle was "who cares if our names don't ring out and no one knows about us if we're making money hand over fist and we run poo poo?"

Yeah I agree with you. The way Avon was just completely incredulous when Tilghman shot him down is a good example of this. Avon wanting to stay under the radar to police was completely separate to his desire to be feared on the street. He managed a perfect balance until McNulty started stirring poo poo up.

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013
Ziggy is never seen with that expensive jacket he loved so much after Cheese made fun of it :smith:

Ziggy, being Ziggy, probably set it on fire or something

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013

Mescal posted:

Starting to watch S2E06 ahead of time. First scene, Omar helps the cop with the crossword clue about the god of war. Ares, not Mars. "Same dude, different name." I wonder what second meaning of this is. Probably the same point he's making at Levy next scene--that he's a gangster with a briefcase or somesuch.

EDIT: I got confused. That scene with Levy does not directly follow. Not even sure if it's in this episode.

It could have some sort of symbolism but I just figured it was showing that there was a time when Omar was just a smart little kid who liked mythology in school.

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013
Just noticed that when D'Angelo is talking to his mother, he says "This is mine, right here, right now." echoing Wallace not long before he got killed.

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013
Aw you didn't bring up my favorite scene transition

During the Dutch presentation

"...greater security and better accountability, without the need for unreliable human surveillance..."

*cut to Herc looking as stupid as ever*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013
Yeah the scene where Ziggy snaps is loving amazing and probably my favorite part of the entire series.

When I was younger I'm not proud to admit that I acted a lot like Ziggy and I feel like that's how it would've ended up if I was ever stupid enough to get into serious crime.

I love the following scene with Landsman too, just because he's completely solemn and respectful towards Ziggy in a way that's never seen before. Compare it to when Bird is in the interrogation room and he's just goofing off and talking poo poo.