Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Still waiting for a Chris and Wee Bey spin off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
While I don't remember that scene, it's fitting with Stringer's character who wanted to separate his two lives as much as possible.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why is Marlo so feared? It's Chris that does all the hard work. They're like the opposite of Avon and Stringer, where Avon is the warrior and Stringer is corporate management.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That kind of explains why Rawls and others don't just can his rear end. McNulty, despite being an impossible person, is well liked by those he started at the bottom with that went on to become powerful people (Bunny Colvin, The Judge). Is it outright stated that he and the judge are pals from when he was a prosecutor or did I just make that up?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
My favourite scene is where he can barely contain his laughter when Stringer admits he's been giving thousands of dollars to Clay Davis. Like, ain't you supposed to be smart Stringer?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Off the top of my head: Avon, Rawls, The Greek's FBI Handler, Bodie, Carver, Herc, Daniels, Cheese, the Mayor's #2, Michael's stepdad and Burrell all have actors who played parts in Oz.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Didn't they just tap a bunch of phones and give them to the guy who ran the store? Knowing that the guy who always argues with his girlfriend was too lazy to get his phones from different shops, thus ensuring he'd bulk buy a load of tapped burners?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Nah they had a whole storefront where Lester brought them to see Massey, who sells them the tapped phones. "drat, Calvin, you know I got the bingo tonight."

Wow, I have zero memory of this.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
TIL Johnny 50 that works on the docks in season 2 turns up in season 5 as a homeless dude McNulty speaks to during the serial killer arc.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
4 is my favourite but 3 is also pretty great. I'm probably like most people and didn't enjoy season 2 first watch but drat is that such a great story that expands the world the characters live in.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Probably Prez.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
He is boring.

Chris and Snoop are the interesting ones.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
One thing I do like about Marlo is his relationship with Vinson, the guy who runs the rim shop. For some reason he's the only person Marlo takes advice from. Prop Joe tries to fill this role but Marlo has none of it.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The Prince of Tides

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What looks worse, Major Crimes' basement or the Barn from The Shield?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Season 2 is just so brilliant. It's a real slow burner but every scene matters.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That fuckin sucks so much. drat fine actor, I loved him in Oz, Lost, Wire, John Wick and everything else I saw him in

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Just terrible, terrible news. Shocked he was 60 since he always looked younger, even more shocked that he died as young as that given what incredible shape he was in. Far too soon, what a tragedy. He was great in everything but his performance as Daniels was sublime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVvUTogRHBs

What a beautiful voice. I have just recently listened to a Batman podcast where Lance played Thomas Wayne. He was perfect for the role.

The show started to suck by this point but I'll never forget the couple of episodes he was in Lost. Just a really dark presence and could have done so much more in that show but he left because of other commitments.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Watching season 5.

The newspaper storyline isn't bad but they really drop you in the thick of it with the terminology and way things are run right in episode 1. I know this is how they did it in season 2 with the docks but the characters there were much more memorable and even likeable (despite what they were doing). Aside from Gus, there's nobody who stands out at The Sun.

Jimmy feels like a relic from earlier in the show. I wish he'd had the happy ending he got in season 4.

The serial killer plot really is dumb. There's no excusing it. I thought I might feel different on my sixth or so watch but yeah, it's just stupid.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I've yet to watch season 2 and 3 of True Detective, but I can tell from clips I've seen over the years, I'll definitely enjoy both.

But yeah, season 1 was some of the best television I've ever seen. Perfectly acted, written and paced.

Ginette Reno posted:

Everything I've seen him in he nails it and he's always doing something quite different.

He's amazing as Cohle and Marty's superior in TD.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Clay Davis trying to convince his lawyer to not only work for free, but to pay Clay for the privilege of doing so was some classic Clay.

Also lol when he's telling Lester how stupid Stringer Bell was and how much he rinsed him for. Dude was such a slow burn heel in this show, one of the highlights of S5.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Just want to say, I've spent the past couple of days watching True Detective season 2.

I enjoyed the first half. It's obviously nowhere near as good as the first series but it's a decent noir, well acted and shot. Then the final four episodes are some of the worst and most cliché television I've ever seen. I finally understand why it took forever for season 3 to get the green light, this was nearly a franchise killer.

I look forward to watching season 3, which is apparently much better.

Is there a True Detective thread anywhere? I feel like there should be with season 4 coming up soon.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Aces High posted:

you think that surveillance van ever came back to Baltimore? Wonder how the discussion for replacing it went

The idea of Valchek going on a Herc-like quest to return Baltimore PD property before his superior finds out and cans him was a missed opportunity.

In all fairness, Valchek seemed like he was pretty much untouchable when it came to politics inside the department. Wasn't there a scene where he shouts at Burrell in front of everyone for giving him a unit of bums to tank Sobotka.

A question I've always had: in the later seasons there's a big plot point made about how Carcetti can't fire Burrell because the people of Baltimore wouldn't accept a white police commissioner (Rawls or whoever), so he has to groom Daniels. But in series one the commissioner is a white dude. What changed? Was a white commissioner acceptable under a black mayor?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Brother Mouzone is the most badass character in a TV show that also has Omar, Wee Bey and Chris.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

God Hole posted:

on television when you have a character who is larger than life you need to pair them with a straight man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZftWwBRJc

It's why Rawls and Burrell work so well together.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The funniest part of The Wire is when Poot is the man for an hour.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
My favourite reaction is when Herc tells Valchek about the Mayor. Valchek's laughter about the prime piece of info Herc has. Like he wishes he had something like that himself but he's too old to bother with that so decides to give this young guy some free advice. It's almost heartwarming.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Tony Phillips posted:

You want that coin flip to be one way....

Which it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I always thought they portrayed Carcetti as genuine and earnest in his quest to "clean up" Baltimore. It's season 4 and 5 he realises that he's not going to actually get anything done and starts to use the excuse "I'll do it when I'm Governor instead".