Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013
What really gets me about this episode is how optimistic it still seems at points. I know Randy almost seems doomed, but with everybody (including, as you mentioned in the write-up, McNulty) getting in on Carcetti's potential I really had a moment during my first viewing that things might not turn out quite as badly as other seasons.

Which makes those last two episodes, even more pessimistic and downbeat than even the other seasons, seem all the more crushing in comparison, and is I think a big part as to why this is viewed as the best season. Everything just turns to poo poo so quickly and in such a "natural", bureaucratic way. The first hints of the massive spending whole that Carcetti has to deal with was completely overshadowed by the police finally discovering (thanks to finally Freamon, the motherfucker who IS the Major Crimes Unit, back in) the bodies. I really naively believed Marlo was going to get caught and Randy and the rest of the boys would be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

cletepurcel posted:

Even if Marlo had been arrested, I think Randy's fate would be the same. Marlo never orders Randy's death, he just puts the word out that he's a snitch, which is enough to ruin his life.

Oh, absolutely. I may have slightly exaggerated for effect as the logical part of me understood this, but I was definitely caught up in emotion. When all was said and done I felt the same dunce cap moment that I did when I was elated at Carcetti's speech at the end of season 3, not realizing that it represented everything wrong with the system. I think in many ways the Carcetti character, and the way he strung me along as he did many of the other characters may have been the most paradigm shifting moment for me in terms of changing views. Never after this show did I ever feel the same enthusiasm for a politician again.

On a lighter note, Cheese's midget comments may be the funniest moment in the series, and Omar's "ran out of time" one of his most badass lines.