Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

the show's been off the air for nearly seven years.

That's because it has no real successor.

Usually when one show declines, another one rises that hits similar thematic and emotional beats and we flock to it. But The Wire trod a lot of ground I don't think any other TV show will cover for some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I'm looking forward to the bit where Yonkers is nuked by the Soviets.

e: poo poo, I wish I didn't read his Wiki entry. That explains the opening scene...

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

And the guy who plays the deacon is an ex-drug kingpin.

Melvin Williams posted:

I know more about murder than you know about that camera.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Amy Ryan and Domenick Lombardozzi were in Bridge of Spies. As was Meth Damon but that's not thread relevant.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
In case anyone missed it, Toyota held a Sobotka family reunion for their Super Bowl ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYeM-8hO3hM

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

SimonSays posted:

For those of us who don't watch the Oscars, who's that and what's the connection between him and The Wire?

You also apparently don't watch The Wire because he was Scott Templeton in season 5.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

animeluva1 posted:

Whenever Baltimore PD makes the news, especially for poo poo like this, I instinctively mutter "God drat it, McNulty."

Baltimore Police Officer Indicted On Charges Of Misconduct, Fabricating Evidence (NPR)

Here's the article. And it's not really a McNulty-level screwup, more like a shitbag beat cop thing, like something Walker would do before he robbed some kids.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

awesmoe posted:

he (simon) was way too emotionally close to the newspaper stuff for it to have the same perspective as everything else on the show

otoh, Ed Burns based a lot of stuff in Season 4 directly on his experience as a schoolteacher.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
None of the accents in The Wire were bad enough to pull me out of the show. Maybe it's because I'm not from anywhere near Baltimore. OTOH, the Kennedys on The Crown absolutely did throw me for a loop.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Amazingly, Jim True-Frost didn't just make his name up, but acquired it through relatively normal means (birth name was True, wife's name was Frost).

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I thought Idris didn't like talking about/acknowledging The Wire... but I suppose it's fair to make an exception in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

deoju posted:

East European migrants found dead in a shipping container? The writers for this season are just ripping off plots from the Wire.

They were Chinese nationals, it turns out. I don't know what impact that would've had on the Season 2 storyline.