Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

One thing I wondered from this series was if Chris was ex-military, he definitely seemed to be the most dangerous and trained of the enforcers in the series even more so than WeeBay, also his lack of care about gangbanger poo poo he just wanted to do a good job. It seemed odd that as dangerous as he is there is no background on him until he runs with Marlo's crew, who is an up and coming yet Chris looks like he is the same age as Avon/Bell. It seems odd that he would have lived so long as a fringer player without getting killed or picked up by one of the bigger gangs. Likewise his family has the nice house in the suburbs whereas almost every other major criminal especially enforcers like Wee-Bay and Delonda/Naymond all were still living in the ghetto albeit with nice poo poo in them, which seems to imply he had legitimate money because Marlo wasn't really laundering it until more recently.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

DarkCrawler posted:

Marlo and Chris are the same age and I think the show indicates they have been together since they were children. Marlo's actor is actually three years older. No reason why Chris might have not been in the military though (definitely carries himself like one) but then again he might have just been a smart and focused dude - not like you need huge knowledge of actual military tactics to be more efficient then your average gangbanger.

Interesting it was probably just how Chris composes himself that made me feel he was older than Marlo. Anyway I feel a military connection fits a bit, Chris goes away for a few years does a tour in afghanistan or Iraq, when the army was so desperate for recruits they were waiving background checks and education requirements left and right. Goes away comes back either can't or won't adjust to civilian life/record makes it hard to get a job despite service. Just like Cutty hooks up with his old buddy Marlo and gives him the muscle he needs to stop just being a two bit player.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jerusalem posted:

Nope, that was my initial take as well but each re-watch it becomes clearer that the Greek became an FBI source at some point in the past (Koutris mentions looking into Glekas which was probably when they first met) and his info was netting them enough high-profile busts and the odd terrorist arrest to warrant trying to keep him protected. That's why Fitzhugh realizes the futility of ever saying anything to anyone but Daniels, if Koutris is Homeland Security and using the Greek as a CI then that trumps any concerns or complaints he could bring them about something as "irrelevant" as a major drugs case in Baltimore.

While what Koutris is doing is pretty horrifying and stretches legality to its limits I doubt he technically did anything illegal. He never actually tells the Greek to kill anybody or hears him say he will kill anybody, he just warns him that the police are looking into him so he needs to "clean up" and get out from under so it doesn't affect their working relationship - he's willfully being deaf, dumb and blind to what the Greek is doing. It's (on a wildly greater scale) pretty much the same thing as the detectives on the Detail letting Bubbles slide for various crimes he commits because he's feeding them good intel, and they do all but admit that they know Omar murdered people but they let him skate with a warning "not to do it again".

There are plenty of real life example of this type of thing happening, the most famous probably being Whitey Bulger - the Greek uses his status as an informant to help build his criminal empire even higher and even take out some enemies when it suits him. Koutris is corrupt only insofar as he's used the Greek to build his own career.

I think this explanation works better than "Kourtis was corrupt" as it highlights again how an institution in this case the FBI manages to gently caress things up by turning a blind eye to "small" crimes in exchange for help against "greater evils"

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

algebra testes posted:

No you see him in a foster home and he's this angry hosed up kid, so it's a real bummer ending for him.

Randy I always figured would end up like Bodie or maybe if he lives long enough Stringer? He probably would end up involved in the drug trade and probably be pretty good at it and rise up in an organization or set one up on his own. After all he always dreamed of running his own store, so why not a drug operation.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jerusalem posted:

I do think that sadly Randy will end up dead or in jail relatively quickly. The kid we saw through most of season 4? Yeah I could see him being a Prop Joe/Stringer Bell type of character, but not the kid from season 5. Stringer and Joe both had community/friends/family who looked out for them and that they cared about - sure they would be tough when necessary but they understood empathy and were broader people because of it. Randy's lesson learned from the group home is that he can't trust anyone, open up to anybody, talk to anybody etc he just puts up a permanent front of indifference, his anger boils over and he has nobody to watch his back or that he can trust.

Namond gets the best ending, Michael is at least free, but Dukie and Randy are both completely screwed :(

Well thats what I was sort of saying maybe it came out wrong? While maybe becoming Stringer/Prop Joe is a stretch, I guess my comment on him becoming Bodie V2 works after all the main description of Bodie was he was angry however underneath the anger he was still relatively clever, so yeah he probably won't live to see twenty unless his luck turns around.

grobbo posted:

My partner and I just finished S4. Randy's fate in the group home caused a lot of anger. I may have to rewatch S5 alone...

Which brings me to my one lasting concern - how do we feel about Namond?

I remember loving his character arc, but on this viewing, something feels off, or perhaps just missing.

Perhaps it's just that the show works too hard to remind us that deserve ain't got nothing to do with it (it's striking, and feels deliberate, that the three other boys all assert themselves with above-and-beyond kindness - devastatingly - this episode. Michael takes in Dukie; Dukie gives Prez a gift of appreciation; Randy tries to let Carver know that he tried. Namond's last act of self-assertion was a feeble, loathsome attempt to bully Dukie, and he really doesn't do anything after that, let alone show his gratitude to Bunny.)

Or maybe it's that the show is spending so much time (effectively) showing that Namond is no gangster, which doesn't leave much space to remind us of his positive potential. But an impressive Eiffel Tower model and some corridor banter seem like a very long time ago, and so Bunny's description of a 'clever, funny, open-hearted' kid just didn't feel as if it had been sufficiently demonstrated, scene-by-scene.

Again, perhaps that's the point - but it slightly undercut the sincere drama of some very good, impassioned scenes with Bunny and Wee-Bay. Perhaps we just needed one more moment between the two of them?

PS: I did love Namond's final scene, as a parallel to Cutty's truck encounter with some gangsters (with the 'reformed' character toiling in the sun as his old life passes by). Every day will be hard - and there are no immediate, or certain happy endings.

PPS: I might be misremembering, since we only glanced at them - but weren't Randy's two overseers at the group home an older, stern white woman and a heavily overweight, tired-looking black man, a la Tilghmann's? (A signal that things were going to be exactly the same for him, even here?)

I mean there is also the cynical reading that Naymond got lucky and essentially conned his way into Colvin's graces and that debate setup is foreshadowing that he is actually just gonna be the next Clay Davis corrupting the system even further to put himself ahead, because he never learned the right lessons.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 12, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

grilldos posted:

You are correct. Many adoptions involve parents picking out the child with the best "potential*" which only furthers class issues. In this case it's the bittersweet cherry on Colvin's story. I bet if you pull up the scenes of Namond with Colvin, they're juxtaposed with Randy's dealings with the orphan system.

*The word "pedigree" floats to mind, with all of its racial tension.

Namond is gonna grow up to be like Ben Carson ~ I made it out of the ghetto and its not that hard, wait what do you mean i was ridiculously lucky? ~ and then ride the ghetto hero success gravy train.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I decided to start re-watching the Wire while sick.

Man I always forget they built up Herc as the one taking away how to be a better policeman than Carver from the detail only to have him completely backslide later on.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I mean aside from the wtf of that, you essentially see something like that happen next season with Marlow's crew.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Mr. Prokosch posted:

That poo poo reminds me of something a relative of mine who was kind of connected to drug/gang poo poo told me. Ex-military guys are really valuable. They have very relevant training personally and they can pass a lot of it on, they have some discipline, they're often comfortable with killing people. They're also often easy to recruit for the same reason a lot of veterans are homeless. A young veteran or two coming back to your run down neighborhood is a dream come true.

Chris always struck me as a veteran and a real boon to the Stanfield organization.

This is what I got too from Chris, not even like he was some hypercompetent special forces guy, but one of the money people with criminal records who enlisted during the height of the GWOT when they were waiving a lot of the background stuff to get boots on the ground. I remember hearing news reports handwringing about these guys coming back and teaching MILITARY TACTICS to like MS-13/Crips/Bloods etc.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Der Kyhe posted:

Isn't one of the largest current drug cartels basically a law enforcement spec ops division switching to a more lucrative business?

The Los Zeta's yes did start after a bunch of Mexican Commando's decided they could make more money as muscle for the Gulf Cartel, then realized the could make even more money running their own cartel. I think by now all of the original commando's are dead or in prison and the Zeta's are not as big as they used to be. Still a big cartel, but I don't think they are the biggest in Mexico currently, but I am not a super close observer of the situation.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Hmm looking at homicide, the guy who plays Bayliss is from my hometown... Cool?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Its final season stuff.

BoJack is being an addict for the 1% which is a completely alien universe to Bubbles... Aside from The Wire being gritty realism and BoJack while a very good show also is partially a zany cartoon.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Aces High posted:

sure but how many shows go out of their way to have their main character end up where BoJack does at the conclusion of the show? I don't discount that it's a wacky cartoon but it's also a cartoon that isn't afraid to go places that things like Breaking Bad won't go

BB maybe isn't a great example but it's what immediately came to my mind

No I agree its a great show and uses the zany comedy backdrop excellently for the serious issues of mental illness, male privilege and addiction it deals with. However it is still going to be different in tone and come at it from a different angle than the Wire which is essentially a gritty crime drama.

Honestly BoJack just by his wealth compared to bubbles is operating in a completely seperate universe more than the fact he is a talking horse.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 11, 2020

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Poot also drops the World going one way, people the other line.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think the gangsters lead by Stringer cargo culting business 101 strategy without really getting it is one of the funniest things in show.

"Motherfucker did you just take notes on a criminal conspiracy"?

Especially since Stringer kind of gets it, but not entirely since he has had at most an associates degree, trying to explain poo poo to guys who dropped out of Middle School.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 28, 2020

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think a key concept on the wire is a revolution doesn't really change things. Hamsterdam and legalizing drugs just shuffled where the bodies were buried in the end.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

God Hole posted:

another consideration should be “localized & temporary net good” vs “universal permanent net good”

hamsterdam may seem far fetched on its face to the layman but bored police commanders have a long, storied history of accidentally discovering revolutionary social change while loving around with departmental procedures, for instance what would happen if we just stopped patrolling lol-OH gently caress CRIME IS GOING DOWN ABORT ABORT GET THE CARS BACK ON THE ROAD

every single police officer in the US in the past 50 years has studied the Kansas City preventative patrol experiment, despite its results being clearly abolitionist on its face! you better believe that in the world of the wire, the hamsterdam case is going right in every subsequent criminal justice textbook that goes to print. now why would that be? why would the establishment be okay with teaching their entire workforce about social experiments that are essentially existential threats to their authority?

because it matters who revolutionary tactics come from. when they teach officers about the Kansas City experiment, it’s an inoculation. if anything similar to hamsterdam (anywhere now, not just in Baltimore) were to naturally manifest among the civilian population later on or a progressive officer starts getting some funny ideas, other officers will instinctively recognize it for what it is and shut it the gently caress down either with some good old fashioned anti-intellectualist rhetoric - and if that doesn’t work - brutal crackdowns and/or reassignment to the pawn shop unit.

that’s not to say the bunny’s of the world shouldn’t try; he has obvious positive effects on people around him, and his example could potentially inspire future revolutionaries, but as we can see the population of Baltimore has been successfully suppressed for a long time. they have little to no class consciousness or institutional memory outside of a few pockets. in all likelihood, bunny made revolutionary change less possible

I think that is an interesting take, thanks for sharing.

I know to a certain extent in some ways Seattle has effectively done the Hamsterdam in regards to our homeless population, I am not sure if it is really improving their situation however. Certainly has made a lot of people mad and the police very angry, which feeds into what you are saying on it undermining their authority and thus must be opposed.