Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What's with the goofy guy with the hair- the cop. You know who I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I finished the second half of S5 the night Templeton won the Oscar which was kind of weirdly serendipitous. I like how everyone knew which guy I was talking about with the vaguest description possible and also that his resume is more impressive than that one character would suggest.

I love the names for the product and how they evolve with the times:

WMD - 2003 Iraq invasion
Swing State - 2004 presidential election
Greenhouse Gas - 2006 An Inconvenient Truth (gas up!)
Troop Surge - 2007 Iraq troop surge

I would have to write a thesis to succinctly explain why I think this is so funny/brilliant

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What I don't get is in S1, the woman in the whorehouse, presumably a whore, who doesn't do anything sexual just gets to hang around the police station and is not just privy to but is the centerpiece of their elaborate confidential plans?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
All over a fuckin' church window.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I didn't hate Marlo but I didn't find him nearly as compelling as the people he killed/replaced. Until last episode when he starts personally loving people up who think he's gone soft/doesn't want to get his hands dirty.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah he's a great character who inspires loathing - as an ironically detached goon I have no feelings and so me saying I hate a character is high praise for the writing/acting.

Ah yes, we call this the 'Peggy Hill response'.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It was weird that the words "human trafficking" were never really uttered in S2.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Plucky Brit posted:

They did use the words "white slavery" though. Significant emphasis on the white

Just odd that not only did they not place emphasis on it, they had no apparent interest in prosecuting the crime- just the prostitution aspect. It doesn't matter what you're smuggling a person to do- the fact you're doing it is itself the crime. But it's funnier to have a prostitution sting. Thaaat's McNulty! :newlol:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
A police?!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Glad to see 5 is ranked the lowest, it definitely was for me with McNulty faking murders :colbert:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

banned from Starbucks posted:

someone pick eastern european shipping container whore # 5

Nonono see those weren't people, those were corpses. In the show nobody is concerned with the trafficking of humans, they literally just say welp that's sure a lot of dead bodies, possible criminal involvement, wonder what do we charge that as, hmmmmm?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
African Americans aren’t really a part of their narrow world- they don’t induct them as members, based on racism and “stick with your own kind” mentality but there are a few instances of savvy black men in the series- the guy who tony goes into the HUD scheme with, Massive Genius from S1, Noah (“Jamaal Ginsburg, the Hasidic Homeboy”) and none of the main characters say the n word (usually “moulignon”, though Richie Aprile says “Nigerian” and if any character would use it remorselessly, I think that’s it).

Characters like Paulie and Bobby Bacala are can’t-shoot-straight made men, every character has a little bit of comic relief to them to show the audience that these guys are below average intelligence- see: constant malapropisms (though possessing above average street smarts) and hey don’t idolize these people

The Sopranos is to black people as the Wire is to the Greek- you could make a whole other show based on the very separate worlds these people inhabit, and so they do. There’s literally enough material to explore an entire series with every set of players which is something the wire does really well from season to season- we’re looking at something different every time. But I do not understand how any thinking person could actively dislike the sopranos. I can see someone hating sopranos and wire because they’re stupid but not liking one and hating the other

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I am so down to talk sopranos in this thread since the old gbs thread is moribund

Wire related- I was underwhelmed by the carcetti storyline- I thought he was going to be more littlefinger esque in his rapacious grab for power and consolidation of said power

He really does gently caress all

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Who has the most depressing arc in the series? For me it’s Dukie

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Yeah I forgot about Randy’s that’s really lovely

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I was surprised by many of the deaths in The Wire but was confounded most ultimately by Bubbles' continuing to live :unsmith:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Nail Rat posted:

I think anybody who paid close enough attention doesn't idolize Bell the way he thinks, though.

it's like tony soprano- james gandolfini hated what a piece of poo poo the character he was playing made him feel, and anyone who's reading the subtext can see it's a deeply flawed character and not someone to idolize.

that said, most people don't pay close enough attention. the majority of people are there to see a cool guy get one over on entrenched authority t:hehe:, and consequently they idolize tony soprano/stringer bell the way he fears they do.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I get that the posters who somehow, amazingly, genuinely don't get that the code terminology is deliberately racist are not evil, just ignorant but god drat

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
But there's a remote possibility it's not racist and I will defend cops for reasons!!!!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
None since on the show they never treated them as humans, just corpses. That never sat well with me.

It’s like they go out of their way not to acknowledge they were living humans killed in transit as part of a human trafficking organization, just a common ho-hum mysterious shipment of dead bodies.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I get that, that in a real homicide department you'd develop all kinds of coping mechanisms for that kind of stuff. But that's the luxury of a TV show, you could maybe show someone caring, or pretending to care, or wanting to care but acknowledging that the burnout precludes them from being able to. Instead they all just basically Pete Campbell'd and went "Huh! A thing like that! What do you think they wanted to do with all these corpses??"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Like my issue is they treat it solely like a smuggling operation instead of a multiple homicide.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Greenhouse Gas is HOT, yo!

Gas up!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Very anti Semitic imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What was the point of McNulty crashing his car twice?