Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

zenguitarman posted:

Probably just another example of the different types of trauma that kids bring into school with them everyday.

I agree with this. Like the scene where Laetitia cut Chiquan with the box cutter, it's there to show that childhood trauma is beyond the scope of the school system to handle. That scene where the silver lining is that she isn't HIV positive - and Prez doesn't click with it at first - has a hell of a weight. Albert's is the same.

Also, escape artist, I'm glad you're still around and kicking. This thread has some great takes on this show and your analysis was always a pleasure to read.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Lol that's a great take on poot

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj8JBBAM5jY

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Speaking of Bosch, is it worth picking up, and does the quality stay even?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Boywhiz88 posted:

5. Still need to watch Simon’s new one and The Deuce. But The Wire is just a siren song.

The Deuce is very good, and has some incredible acting from Emily Meade and Maggie Gyllenhaal (along with David Simon's attention to detail), but its not as narratively tight as The Wire. Havent caught The Plot Against America yet though.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cvrs-BCs6o

Probably a little crossover interest itt

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Yeah I mean, I hate to reduce a show as complex as the Wire to one thesis, but I can definitely see how it romanticizes the cops (as well as the gangs) along the way to the indictment of the system that makes them who they are.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

Just started watching this show for the first time. It's excellent so far, and I'm only on the second episode. How have I missed this for so long?

This has to be a treat. Watching it while it aired was one thing, but twenty years on has to be a whole different experience. Like watching the Mary Tyler Moore show in 1990.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Paz0ajIxzI

The Corner's where it's at. (Yes, the whole thing's on Youtube)

I could do The Wire, which being fiction at least let me look at it with clinical/critical goggles, but I couldn't get past even the first ep of The Corner. It's excruciating to watch. This is a compliment of the highest order despite how it sounds.

Jerusalem posted:

It kind of fell apart in the last couple of seasons, but man the first four were so much fun. Season 2 with Margo Martindale as the villain was probably the high point, though Boyd Crowder's constant presence was always a delight.

It's sort of the anti-Wire, in a fashion -- it doesn't glorify police violence, but it sure does make it entertaining in the perfectly pulpy way that only Elmore Leonard could do.
I absolutely agree that it's worth watching, though. Season two is incredible. Three and four are great. Then Elmore Leonard died and the show seemed to lose its mojo, even though there were some individually good episodes and smaller arcs (and the last episode mostly nailed the landing).

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Lol well, it was unrealistic 20 years ago.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

algebra testes posted:

People always talk about the virtues of all these hidden angles to season 5 but it just never works for me.

Not to discredit those that can find virtue but even when I look look these things the Newspaper story just isn't satisfying and doesn't resonate with me.

Yeah, I mean, it's okay. But it felt off the same way the last season of so many HBO shows feel off. I think the shortened season was a lot of it, but folks earlier in the thread mentioned that it also felt like David Simon was too close to the subject, and I think that's right, too. So maybe he did tell a nuanced story about Gus failing journalism, that's a perfectly valid read, but for a general audience, it didn't resonate. I'm sure it did though with every journalist from the 70's - 90's who saw their institution hollowed out as expensive veterans were bought out and replaced with trust-fund kids working cheap.

Anyway. Five is almost universally accepted as the worst season of the show, and I agree with that, but it also has some of the best scenes in the series. I wish I liked it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Lol yeah by the look of it, Simon is updating his theme from 'the cycle goes on' to 'poo poo just gets worse.'