Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

zenguitarman posted:

Probably just another example of the different types of trauma that kids bring into school with them everyday.

I agree with this. Like the scene where Laetitia cut Chiquan with the box cutter, it's there to show that childhood trauma is beyond the scope of the school system to handle. That scene where the silver lining is that she isn't HIV positive - and Prez doesn't click with it at first - has a hell of a weight. Albert's is the same.

Also, escape artist, I'm glad you're still around and kicking. This thread has some great takes on this show and your analysis was always a pleasure to read.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lol that's a great take on poot

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj8JBBAM5jY

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Speaking of Bosch, is it worth picking up, and does the quality stay even?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Boywhiz88 posted:

5. Still need to watch Simon’s new one and The Deuce. But The Wire is just a siren song.

The Deuce is very good, and has some incredible acting from Emily Meade and Maggie Gyllenhaal (along with David Simon's attention to detail), but its not as narratively tight as The Wire. Havent caught The Plot Against America yet though.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cvrs-BCs6o

Probably a little crossover interest itt

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah I mean, I hate to reduce a show as complex as the Wire to one thesis, but I can definitely see how it romanticizes the cops (as well as the gangs) along the way to the indictment of the system that makes them who they are.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

Just started watching this show for the first time. It's excellent so far, and I'm only on the second episode. How have I missed this for so long?

This has to be a treat. Watching it while it aired was one thing, but twenty years on has to be a whole different experience. Like watching the Mary Tyler Moore show in 1990.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Paz0ajIxzI

The Corner's where it's at. (Yes, the whole thing's on Youtube)

I could do The Wire, which being fiction at least let me look at it with clinical/critical goggles, but I couldn't get past even the first ep of The Corner. It's excruciating to watch. This is a compliment of the highest order despite how it sounds.

Jerusalem posted:

It kind of fell apart in the last couple of seasons, but man the first four were so much fun. Season 2 with Margo Martindale as the villain was probably the high point, though Boyd Crowder's constant presence was always a delight.

It's sort of the anti-Wire, in a fashion -- it doesn't glorify police violence, but it sure does make it entertaining in the perfectly pulpy way that only Elmore Leonard could do.
I absolutely agree that it's worth watching, though. Season two is incredible. Three and four are great. Then Elmore Leonard died and the show seemed to lose its mojo, even though there were some individually good episodes and smaller arcs (and the last episode mostly nailed the landing).

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lol well, it was unrealistic 20 years ago.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

algebra testes posted:

People always talk about the virtues of all these hidden angles to season 5 but it just never works for me.

Not to discredit those that can find virtue but even when I look look these things the Newspaper story just isn't satisfying and doesn't resonate with me.

Yeah, I mean, it's okay. But it felt off the same way the last season of so many HBO shows feel off. I think the shortened season was a lot of it, but folks earlier in the thread mentioned that it also felt like David Simon was too close to the subject, and I think that's right, too. So maybe he did tell a nuanced story about Gus failing journalism, that's a perfectly valid read, but for a general audience, it didn't resonate. I'm sure it did though with every journalist from the 70's - 90's who saw their institution hollowed out as expensive veterans were bought out and replaced with trust-fund kids working cheap.

Anyway. Five is almost universally accepted as the worst season of the show, and I agree with that, but it also has some of the best scenes in the series. I wish I liked it more.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lol yeah by the look of it, Simon is updating his theme from 'the cycle goes on' to 'poo poo just gets worse.'

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

The Deuce is great in general and if you love The Wire you should give it a watch imo.

It's fantastic, but just a warning to anyone interested, it's as much of a downer as The Corner or Show Me a Hero, so definitely gird yourself for it. But there is some incredible acting from everyone in the cast.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I think it works in the context of the show for all the reasons you mentioned, but I also think it doesn't work because of what you mentioned with serial killers and television. The shows airing then like The Shield or Dexter had entirely different tones that used (or would have used) a cop-faking-a-serial-killer plot to drive stories, so to see the Wire try something similar caused a lot of whiplash, despite previously unrealistic sequences like Hamsterdam or the Omar/Muzone Team-up in season 3. Your point about the serial killer story actually being another broken police story was really astute, and David Simon was obviously aware of the serial killer thing with the wink to Dexter in season 5 so, I mean, he knew what he was doing -- but that doesn't mean it necessarily worked, especially after seasons like 2 and 4 that might as well have been creative non-fiction or documentary.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 5, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah -- I think the biggest fault with season 5 is that it's a short season. The extra few episodes could've given the plot the time it really needed to add more layers to the characters and weight to the story. 5 has some great long-form payoffs, like with Bubbles, but everything new to the season felt like it was there to settle a grudge.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

exmachina posted:

When does Bodie die? Because I definitely cared about him

His scene with McNulty is the latter's last good scene really

Just after that scene you mentioned, actually. Same episode I think.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

werdnam posted:

Is the rest of Simon's ouevre (Generation Kill, Treme, etc) worth a watch?

--GK is an impossibly accurate look at the invasion of Iraq from the perspective of infantry Marines. The details, attitudes, and general vibes that Simon got right are amazing.

--I really like The Deuce. I think it's the third best thing he's done after The Wire and Generation Kill. The 70's-80's New York in that show is so filthy you can almost smell it. Plus there's some incredible acting from just about the whole goddamn cast. But it's really depressing.

--Like other people itt, I thought Treme was good but it didn't hook me past the first season. The music is fabulous though.

--I tried to watch The Corner but couldn't, because it was a little too real.

--I haven't watched The Plot Against America. I hear it's pretty good, but it's one of those shows about fascism that came out under Trump and I wasn't much in the mood (sort of like watching The Leftovers during covid lockdown)

--I'm really looking forward to the next show he's doing on the corrupt baltimore task force. I get the feeling it's going to be an incredible companion piece (if not a coda) to the Wire.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 16, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Hasselblad posted:

Not to second guess, but what are you basing that on, firsthand knowledge? I haven't yet watched it, but I take everything on TV with a grain of salt.

Not the OP, but I was in the Marine Corps 2001-2007 as an infantry mortarman, and was a part of the invasion of Iraq (deployed March - Oct 2003). GK nails what being an infantry marine was like back then and what a stupid goddamn war that was. The attention to detail (like some of the cast wearing the jungle boots with the soles you could only get done at Saigon Sam's down in jacksonville) is absolutely astonishing.

The only 'off' thing about it is the final sequence, but it's off because the writers of the show needed a way to wrap up the story with some kind of reflection/meaningful thematic statement. It's a good scene but a little forced.

Actually, if anyone has any questions about the Marines or the invasion of Iraq while they're watching GK, I'm happy to field them. It was like 20 years ago so my memory might be a little hazy but I'm sure I can still help folks navigate the military nomenclature.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
There was one when the show came out, but I'm sure it archived by now. I know there's been another one since then, probably a few years ago, but I'm and idiot and no good with SA's search.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
poo poo I thought was just a post about the scene in the show

OD too, it looks like, man that sucks :(

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Unfun fact, Sgt. Major Sixta was later arrested for child molestation.

More-fun fact: the General Mattis you see pop up in the show is the same Mattis you probably remember from the Trump years. Might seem obvious if you're politically knowledgeable, but other people I've watched the show with weren't aware it's the same man.

If you're up for a good companion piece even though it isn't a David Simon show, The Pacific pairs really well with GK.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

BiggerBoat posted:

Christ, the sense of impending dread in GK is palpable. I mean...on top of all the other horrible poo poo so far. Which is dreadful enough.

But it's loving with me in the way it's subverting my expectations since 4 episodes in and within the main cast, they've suffered zero casualties so far. A few times, I was expecting an IED, a booby trap, a sniper or a suicide bomb truck. I can't see them all making it out alive but then again that might be the play here where we just see the ptsd and psychological wounds, which is an ace Simon move. I was sure at least a few main characters would have bought it by now..

It's really good but it sure isn't Feel Good, especially in the wake of the Afghanistan withdrawal and the 9/11 anniversary. I may have timed this particular watch rather poorly.

One of the main things throwing me off are all the acronyms since I'm not real up on military jargon but that's on me and I appreciate the show not dumbing that down. I wonder what CHUDS think of this. I bet they view it much differently than my take away so far.

Really interesting watching Ziggy too in a much different role. I'm surprised there's actually not more carry over from The Wire and The Corner casts and, along those lines, it's odd to see so few black characters given Simon's track record there and knowing what we know about disproportionate military enlistment among minorities and how often they get put in harm's way.

While there were a few exceptions, the iraq insurgency with all the IEDs/suicide bombs didn't start until 2004. GK takes place during the March 2003 invasion, where the fighting was much different than what came later.

Regarding race - I don't remember if it was in generation kill (or maybe Black Hawk Down) but -- and I'm not making this up -- swim qualification is one of the barriers for Black people joining elite units. I knew a lot of Black Marines at Parris Island/through SOI and in my company, but the swim Qual for recruit training is easier than Recon's.

I can't guarantee this hasn't changed though, because I'm like 20 years out of date.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 14, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
No, it wasn't supposed to be funny. There's nothing funny about the scene, with the cruel way they laugh and the flat look Miller gives them directly after. It's Spielberg doing the same thing he did in Band of Brothers with Spiers killing the POWs or taking the silver from the German houses -- showing that hey, actually, our guys could be vile shitheads, too. But neither SPR or BoB is a non-fiction exposé/indictment of a war the way Generation Kill is, so Spielberg didn't focus on it.

To be a little more specific, SPR was a screenplay by Robert Rodat, who also did The Patriot, so you can imagine the guy isn't exactly nuanced in his takes. I don't know if the Polish soldier execution was from his script or if it was a Spielberg addition, but like Stephen Ambrose and Band of Brothers, the authors, the source material, or the people involved in adapting it weren't especially focused on American war crimes.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 22, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Aces High posted:

Suppose that says more about them than what the authorial intent is

:hmmyes: I saw SPR in theaters five or six times and noticed the same audience reaction. For a lot of people the laughter was just a shock response because they don't know what else to do (especially after such a brutal combat sequence) but it also seemed like more than a couple people in the audience laughed like it was meant to be funny. Back in the late 90s young naive me would've flagged that as misunderstanding the scene, but well, the last 20 years have sorta highlighted American bloodlust so :shrug:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Elias_Maluco posted:

The Deuce and Plot against America are pretty good too

The Deuce is pretty heart-wrenching (it's David Simon, so of course it is), but has some of the best acting I've ever seen. Emily Meade especially.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
lol and Rodney calling Leon a murdering motherfucker and stomping his foot :lmao:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...ents/ar-AASL5hi :bustem:

I know Simon has 'We Own This City' coming up soon but man, Baltimore during COVID and all the corruption out of it would be another great show, like a Wire/Treme mix

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Been sort of going through all five seasons and skipping through episodes to catch the highlights I remember. I don't think there's another show that captures the early 2000s like The Wire does. I mean, there are television shows that are more representative of the absurd overexposure of the time, like 24 or CSI, but The Wire cuts past all that bullshit and gets to how it really was.

edit: I'm wrong about this, Spotlight (about the Boston Globe uncovering the Catholic church pedo priest scandal) does a great job of nailing the era too (and in a nice bit of irony, directed by the guy who played Templeton in season 5).

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 6, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I can't wait to see what Simon does with We Own This City as an epilogue or sequel.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Landsman :3

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Jon Bernthal is a great actor but man something about that guy's roles always give me a knee-jerk dislike of him, haha. I'd love to see him in a calm decent good guy role to get over my prejudice.

Show looks incredible, can't wait.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Anyone want to make a thread for the series, or should we just talk about it here?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
We.Own.This.City.S01E06.The.Marvel.Aspect.1080p

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Love that theme song.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Real Training Day vibes from the cinematography too.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
This is definitely one of those shows you have to watch multiple times to catch everything. (But I wouldn't expect any less)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Tony Phillips posted:

Forgive the dumb question, but there were just the two timelines going on in the first episode, right? 2015 and 2017?

Yep, as far as I can see. I'm not a fan of time-period switching generally, but in this case it does a good job of showing Jenkins with the swagger at the end of his time leading the GTTF juxtaposed against the earlier years.

I like that this show, like The Wire, is one we have to pay attention to. There is almost always some kind of indicator for what year the audience is in, like years on camera footage or people referencing the 2016 election.

random edit, but: That first scene with Hersl had some real "No Country for Old Men" suspense vibes with Chigurh and the gas station owner, with the audience wondering how bad the violence is going to be, only to be surprised with none at all. . For anyone who saw Boardwalk Empire, season 3's introduction of Gyp Rosetti beating a dude to death with a tire iron is a great example of the same kind of thing, but with infinitely poorer writing.

double edit: I love the little details like Anderson using a turn signal to leave the parking lot but the cops just barrel-assing into it before the raid on his apartment. And it's shot like they're Omar and the stickup boys in The Wire. This isn't season six, but it's a great companion piece.

for the unprecedented triple-edit: I mentioned that there's some Training Day vibes in the shots, but there's also a True Detective vibe (which for my money was overwrought but still had some pretty great scenes made great because they were unique at the time). This show isn't nearly as ham-handed, but I know those shots have to be an intentional reference.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 26, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Great episode. I like the effect of the timeskips especially with the caliber of acting but I'm not sure it was the best way to tell this story -- showing a chronological slide into corruption would've been better than hopping from 2017 to 2015 to 2003-5. But I'll wait until the series is over to make a final judgement on that.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Randallteal posted:

I've been loving Jamie Hector as the very un-Marlo detective suitor. Probably my second favorite performance after Bernthal.

This is my favorite thing that David Simon does, having his actors play opposite roles in different shows to really show their range. But even with characters with similar roles, like Landsman in The Wire and Davis here, you can tell they're different people. The chief isn't the jolly prick Landsman was. It's still Delaney Williams, but it got easy quick seeing Davis and not Landsman. I know they're actors and all, it's their job, but it's an especially neat trick given how iconic their characters were in The Wire.

edit: the timeskips aren't especially hard to follow (they're pretty well signposted), and they do a great job showcasing e.g. 2003 Jenkins vs. 2017 Jenkins, but my kneejerk reaction is to say that the 2003-5 section feels like it would've been better at the beginning of the show (or at the end of it, Godfather-style). As it is, the skips don't seem to establish a pattern, so I get this "time-skip for the gently caress of it" sense I got from that lovely new version of The Stand.

But we're only two episodes in so this is mostly just me talking out of my rear end. I think this show might've been better released all at once instead of weekly. I'm sure on a binge-watch, which I absolutely plan to do once I can, it'll all come together like The Wire did.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
My first experience with O'Malley was during the debate with Hilldog and Sanders I think? The guy was a black hole of charisma, like every line of his came out like something from the Action Al Gore doll in old Simpsons.