Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I've never minded the fake serial killer thing at all. It's entertaining and is within the theme of all the rest of the stuff they do, some of which like Hamsterdam is at least as out-there. I have an easier time imagining a few disgruntled police would mislead the department to get focus on cases they prefer and have overtime paid out than that a whole section of a city could operate without drug laws for more than a day before getting shut down.

I think people roll their eyes about it because serial killers are such a common plot device on crime shows, but the entire serial killer angle is bullshit and that's the point. It's not a serial killer storyline, it's still a story about broken policing like the rest of the show is basically about.

On a character level, Jimmy would do this. He's angry and self-destructive. Lester, well maybe. He presents himself as The Wise Man, but even within the show that's an affectation people give him poo poo for sometimes. He's just as dissatisfied with how things are done as Jimmy and has been exiled for rebelling before, so why not?

I think it all works.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i don't remember the co-op being a failure until marlo shows up at it

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

since it's not officially part of the wire cinematic universe someone should make a thread

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

yeah y'know it really does add a lot, having just watched severance that way. you build up anticipation so the actual watching of each episodes becomes a lot more fun, since you haven't JUST watch 3 episodes beforehand.

it's probably something similar to spaced repetition learning. you build some grooves in your brain by coming back to it over a period of time, and get to appreciate details more.

you can still enjoy something by watching it all over a few days, but it becomes a very condensed memory where at least in my case, you end up forgetting about it entirely after a few months.

and if it's great for 7 episodes then has a disappointing ending? show's hosed. that's all you're going to remember.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

there's no hard line for me to judge this but as far as the wire having clunky political dialogue coming straight from the writers, i think i judge it based on whether it still feels like something that character would actually say. people in real life are have very clunky dialogue, so i just sort of file it as that unless it comes out of nowhere. in the spaces people are interacting within the wire, you'd hear political and social observations every day.

i really only think it's bad when characters suddenly care about an issue in one episode/scene and then drop it once the writer is satisfied the point has been addressed. there are probably plenty of examples of this happening in the wire but it doesn't bother me because it is a hyper-political show filled with hyper-political characters who would actually do this.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

been watching top boy this week and at least in season 1 it bears a lot of resemblance to the wire s1+3. not just in the the subject matter but the schematics of the main conflict are basically the barkdales vs marlo. it even has a snoop.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

is there anything more pathetic than a violent police officer

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

grobbo posted:

I understand Ziggy's spiritual essence basically as the Little Birthday Boy:

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 10, 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

sydnor is an odd character in the sense he's mentioned a lot and just sort of hangs around but he never does anything to distinguish himself

everybody else has a bunch of personality traits, sydnor just has 'pretty competent at his job'

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i think you've hit it on the head regarding the police storylines

the detail generally either brings out the hidden strengths or obvious weaknesses of the various cops who get brought into it, and the thing with sydnor is you get the sense he's exactly as competent as he always was outside of it - professional work, nothing remarkable

he's to policing what jerry seinfeld was to comedy

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i think of that 'the job will not save you' line all the time. it's really good advice to remember just in general.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i don't really have a ranking but while i think 4 is the apex of the series in terms of - 'here is the city of baltimore and all it's machinations', there are other seasons which are more fun to watch because of their focus.

first time through, 4 is going to be a trip because it's just so vast and lands almost every plotline. on rewatches, you want to dive into specific zones of the story and 1,2 3 and even 5 are better for that. 4 just has all of it happening.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

it is kind of calming that there is no credible republican candidate but then you realise, they're all republican candidates. the campaigns are being run on those terms.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Jerusalem posted:

I've said it before, but the way (season 4+) she shuts down when he quietly threatens her really speaks to a sense that he was certainly not above being physically abusive to her, and while it is tempting at first to thrill to her being shut up after all her own abusive parenting of Namond, it's a pretty grim thing to think about the implications. As for her being cut off, I always assumed that Wee-Bey was still enjoying privileges in prison. But even if it was now to a lesser extent that he was the type who would not blink at having to put in work in prison regardless of the fact he'd already eaten a huge number of murders for Avon and that there were plenty of people who owed him their freedom or their lives.

that's interesting cos i never interpreted it this way with weebay and delonda

you might be right that he abused her physically and that's why she let him shut her down when he gives her the 'it'll be my word that finds you' speech, but i always interpreted it more as just that weebay is reminding her that without the influence he still has over people outside through his means and reputation, she'd pretty much be working at walmart and scraping by. she doesn't seem afraid of him so much as afraid of what him removing his support would mean. she's very confident when she speaks until he pulls that 'this is the law' card. weebay's support from prison obviously only lasts so long but from her perspective, short term, it's stil very important to allow her to live a life of relative luxury.

she's not a deep character, she's very superficial and mean, and i don't know if we're supposed to interpret that as partly a reaction to weebay being a scary partner so much as someone who makes all the wrong choices about what matters. she just comes off as very selfish.

but you still might be right.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

son of a bitch, he made the right call