Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Someone mentioned that the typewriters were anachronistic, and later on the use of the pagers and payphones is particularly old-fashioned. In the world of the show there are justifications for all these things - and ones that help build the themes: painting the policing institution as bureaucratic and unwieldy, and the dealing institution as disciplined and organised. But at the same time, the story is based on 80's casework, and it can be appreciated on that level too - The Wire compresses 30 years of the drug war into it's five year span.

I think you could extend this to season 2 as well - one of the reasons I read that they didn't revisit the port in later seasons was that the places they filmed before were gone! So it's easy to imagine that as a mid-nineties story that's been modernised again. The towers being demolished also came up in the thread, and again it's something where real life pre-dated the show's history of events. Even further in Season 3, Cutty reflects on how much drug dealing has changed, but if you've read The Corner you know the changes he's talking about came and went before the time of that book, back in '93.

On a different tack, I'm sure it was on here I read how someone pointed out how deliberate the parallels are in the first episode. You can go scene for scene with McNulty being chewed out by his boss, D'Angelo being chewed out by his boss; McNulty finds out he's being reassigned; D'Angelo gets reassigned; McNulty discovers his new co-workers aren't up to much, D'Angelo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU