Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Also reinforcing - I love the write up and would love to see it continue. Just one more vote for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm always surprised when a politician (Sheila Dixon, Barack Obama) praises The Wire. The show is about how you and people like you have failed those who needed you the most, why would you then release a statement saying "yeah, that's about right."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
A bishop+pawn can not capture the king by himself, and a knight+pawn can not capture the king by itself, but a bishop knight and a pawn...

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Doubling back, episode 1. I just noticed, two lines before Carver's famous "you can't even call this poo poo a war", he calls it a war.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

escape artist posted:

Season 1, Episode 2:
The Detail

Meanwhile, McNulty is drinking whiskey in a park. At the Towers, business as usual is conducted, nameless dealers are selling to nameless users. Bodie is still working the Pit late into the evening, while Wallace and Poot are asleep on the orange couch. A menacing figure walks toward the sleeping kids on the couch, but only his silhouette is distinguishable. (Take a look-- is that Wee-Bey?)

That's Bodie. He just got paid and flashed 3, but it turns out all his guys are asleep. First sign that maybe this kid's more invested in the game than his friends.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I thought it was narcos, too, but yes, it is knockos.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Which episode are we supposed to be on? This sorta fizzled out because we all just seem to be watching whatever and whenever.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I think number 4, but we're all going at our own pace I think. I got re-addicted and burnt through an episode a night four times a week, but am going to take a break before starting season 2.
The last thing I saw was Wallace coming back from his grandmother's house. I dunno, I just get the sense that this isn't gonna turn out well for him.

Also, gently caress Vernon Holley. Paging a cop is not a beatable offense, but he attacks Bubbles for paging Kima after she's shot. gently caress that guy, you don't touch Bubs, ever.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Community college was near the end of season 1, and the copy shop was season 1 or very early season 2.

Source: I am on episode 203 of a rewatch and neither of those happened last episode.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Parachute Underwear posted:

McNulty tails him to college once in season one, and I believe soon after in the same or next episode, String spouts some econ 101 to his copy shop lackeys. :)
Stringer later lectures people about how he dumped his cell phone stock because Poot already had two.

Yeah stick with the gangster, bud.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's the big lines that get all the press - you come at the king, you got the briefcase, the game is rigged, the king stay the king. And so on.

But you know, I love the small lines. The ones that don't make or break a scene, but are so perfect.

Bubs talking to an old addict, trying to find Omar for McNutty.

"You wanna get with Omar, you need to stand out on one of them corners with a big rear end package. You'll be talkin to that nigga soon enough."

Love that line.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
There's a small bit part in a couple of episodes, so I looked up the character, then looked up the actor to see what else he's in. The reason I'm being so needlessly vague is because the first result for a google on his name, is his own Facebook page. Like, not a fan page, I mean it's just, the guy. I think that's pretty funny - since they used so many local and small players, these are people with lives and responsibilities. If that's something that's okay to post I'll link it, but it's nothing particularly noteworthy, just a "hey, it's him".

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Unzip and Attack posted:

I have to disagree. I think McNulty is definitely the "main" character of the show but not in the sense of your typical TV series. It's true that in Season 4 he isn't on screen all that much, but even then his absence is still a big part of the story arc, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the show begins with McNulty taking on Barksdale and ends with McNulty leaving the force.
I have to agree with your disagreement, and have always viewed him as the main character, or at least, the character we're meant to see the universe through. Even in season 5 where he's doing bad things, I think we should be crushed after 4 seasons of despondency into agreeing that, yes, these means are justified by the ends.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

escape artist posted:

There is a main character :colbert: and its name is Baltimore.
Your avatar just arrived in my rewatch.

e: To be honest, I've never been a fan of Brother. He's like some kinda of weird super hero slash cowboy - always cool, never shaken, and possibly immortal. People talk about him and act around him as though he's impervious, as though the mere suggestion of simply shooting him in the face would be to waste a bullet.

It's one thing to know someone is willing to kill, but we don't need to pretend that the solution is anything other than pulling the trigger before he does.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I can't be the only one who fights the urge to reply to everything with "man you equivocating like a motherfucker."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I just watched season 2 for the 4th time. A pro and a con.

Con: Frank Sobotka remains horribly overrated to me. He's thieving, only concerned for his group of people, but then that gloriously self important "we used to make things, now we just stick our hand in the next guy's pocket" - like he's so noble in his stealing? I don't know, he's commonly regarded as this hero struggling against all odds, but I see him as overwhelmingly selfish.

Pro: Amy Ryan's Beadie Russell on viewing Frank Sobotka's corpse is the perfect culmination of everything. She, the actress and the character, are juggling all of this "fake police cum real police" "casual friend vs professional" "thrill of the chase vs quiet family life" emotion. It's a wordless scene but god it's just a brilliant performance.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Enjoy that, its worth it. Also a plea to any polish speaking goons: what does Valchek say when he receives the last surveillance van picture from Australia? After he calls Frank a motherfucking cocksucker, obviously
I just watched that scene not 30 minutes and ago and tried to look it up, but no luck. So wild that you're asking now, too.

Infact based on time stamps, I was watching it right as you were posting this. What numbers should I play in the lottery?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Motherfucker got the bone all the way out the drat chicken. Wasn't that enough?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Alhazred posted:

Wallace wasn't the only sharp kid in the high rises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_btz3gs90-s
I'm not trying to be a dick but being able to do the same math that everyone else in class can do doesn't make you smart, it's more of a "not stupid" - even Wallace wasn't particularly bright.

I can't think of a single individual in the Barksdale organization that strikes me as particularly smart, there are just people we sympathize with more than others but that doesn't make them smart.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 2, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

3Romeo posted:

Depends how you define smart.

I always feel like an rear end when I'm talking about these things in an academic setting, but: people like Wallace and D'Angelo (and to some extent, Bodie) were smart for the street.
See, I'm going to come across as obtuse, but I don't believe there are street smarts and book smarts. There's just smart.

However, assuming I did believe that street smarts existed.

D'Angelo loudly confronted the senior leadership of his gang, infront of the police, about the whereabouts of Wallace, in such a way that it made crystal clear that it was foul play, and then continually stonewalled Avon. Self righteously shortening your own life is not smart by any definition.

Wallace snitched, then went into hiding, then came back like oh hey sup guys just gonna bend over and pick up this discman real quick. Plus, if he's street smart perhaps he could keep the count straight and recognize money.

Neither of these people are very smart.

Since I don't do street vs book smart I'll just state that in my mind, the smartest member of Barksdale's crew is Bodie. It's as much an ego thing as anything else, but when he cuts his price to compete with Cheese in the towers because all sales are profit, that's smart. But then he still ends up exhibiting a total lack of street smarts by shooting his mouth off about Marlo.

I dunno, I return to my original point - we sympathize with the characters and a situation from which they can't escape, but not a one of them is smart.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 4, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
She's gotta be saying bump, come on white people you're embarrassing yourselves.

I'm almost done with season 3 on my rewatch, and a testament to how good the show is - I still don't know how I feel about Hamsterdam. It's such an incredibly complex situation that I can't just assign it to categories Right or Wrong.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Subtitled by a white person. :colbert:

Google tells me that it's buck, too, to be honest. It's the old "throw it in quotes" test.

snoop "you earned that buck" - About 135,000 results (0.27 seconds)
snoop "you earned that bump" - 92 results (0.26 seconds)

That's admittable evidence, right there. I'm not too big to admit I was wrong about it being bump.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Cute little moment in episode 402 - we all know Clay Davis's famous "I'll take any motherfucker's money" line, but did you remember, ten minutes before that?

Namond: "poo poo I'll take any motherfucker money if he givin it away now"
Clay: "I'll take any motherfucker's money if he givin it away"

That's pretty funny. Namond's talking about Marlo's money - Marlo had Monk sprinkling some money around to buy favor with the neighborhood.

Another quiet moment in that episode. Monk comes up to the kids to hand out money, but Michael says no and walks off. Marlo walks up to Michael and talks his usual poo poo, until Michael finally makes eye contact. Michael's not mad doggin, he's not scowling, he's just looking right through Marlo, and Jamie Hector plays it really well - you can tell Marlo's thrown off by Michael's lack of give a gently caress, even if he's not giving too much away. It's a nice moment, the first sign that Michael doesn't give a gently caress how important Marlo thinks Marlo is.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Just traced it back - on January 31st, I finished season 2. Tonight I will finish season 5. Zzzooooooom!!

The best moment of the entire series - Daniels and McNulty ride an elevator in silence. "To be continued."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Avon and Stringer once had a woman killed simply for witnessing another murder. I hate when we give a free pass to the drug dealers and thieves on the show because we spent so much time with them and convinced ourselves that they were good. No, Wee Bey is bad, he is in jail because he deserves to be in jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Did you know that Bird was in Onyx? Holy hellballs, the things you miss.

Seriously, Onyx - Slam. Spot the Bird (it's not hard) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ADgCeYJMN4