Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

...from the State Bureau of Mines. "Minds" asks Beadie. "Mines" replies Frazier. Beadie's not on-board.

Is that an Arrested Development homage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

We see in season 4 that Chris and Snoop make a point of being practiced, careful aims and even undertake "training" to ensure they're the most efficient killers possible.

And they hate drive-bys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhbrAkY_58s

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

I recall there was discussion when Star Trek: TNG was remastered about releasing it in widescreen. They didn't, because it just wasn't filmed with 16:9 in mind and it wouldn't look right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQtWeor58rU#t=26s

Obviously, TNG is a very different show than The Wire, but it makes sense to not do 16:9 for something that was filmed with 4:3 in mind.

[edit] I somehow missed someone else who said exactly this, 3 days ago. :downs:

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 5, 2014

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

drat I didnt make that connection until just now :vince:

He was also sometimes-Warden Querns on Oz.

Don't gently caress with Querns.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

freebooter posted:

I always assumed the Pit had nothing behind it, which is why they did a really crummy looking CGI tower - why bother when there was an actual tower there? I mean yeah it's smaller but I can't imagine that detracts much from anything.

Is Baltimore actually... like the Wire? Like, an actual third-world-country surrounded by first world white people? I always sort of assumed that it was based on Simon's experiences in the 80s/early 90s and that there was no way modern America could actually be that bad. Not even the poor black neighbourhoods. Like, "Omar wandering around with a shotgun in the middle of the day" level of lawlessness.

I'm Australian so I guess my comparison is an Aboriginal township in the Outback. Horrible, shameful poverty with an obvious racial cause which the rest of us guiltily avert our eyes from.

I haven't been to Baltimore lately but there are definitely cities like that. Look up Camden, NJ if you want a shock.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

ruddiger posted:

And our great nation's capitol, DC.

And Chicago. And Los Angeles, and, and, and...

Camden is way, way worse. There's an awesome aquarium at the waterfront, but other than that it's the kind of city where it's terrifying to drive through even during the daytime. Huge swaths of dilapidated buildings, roads and basic infrastructure falling apart, and drug dealers everywhere. And this is the entire city, not just an isolated area within a larger, prosperous city.

I know the areas on the outskirts of DC can be pretty bad, but I don't think Chicago or LA are in the same ballpark as cities like Camden.

Here are some nice Google Maps spots I found by choosing random spots within the city limits and zooming in:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9339188,-75.1187989,3a,75y,274.72h,93.29t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKJcp5_3kYkuylaHmFVDceA!2e0
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.93061,-75.1228051,3a,75y,12h,85.09t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCdlN8pT82ugSmQLaXANUQQ!2e0
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9307548,-75.1207913,3a,75y,21.14h,91.02t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEfN02-MoIdcNXouvF47QmQ!2e0
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9286071,-75.1207005,3a,75y,0.78h,86.3t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shQCLeRpQ43hQxhOxIZJyuw!2e0

And something that it's interesting to note: Those pictures were clearly taken during daytime, yet there are literally no cars on the roads. No one goes there, no one even tries to pass through unless they're buying drugs or going directly, as fast as possible, to the waterfront.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 28, 2014

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

freebooter posted:

Also as much as I love Prez his arc in s4 kinda sucks - I'm actually two episodes into my first rewatch of it now, but IIRC he literally goes from one episode where he's hopeless and has no control over the class, to being the cool, inspiring teacher in the next, with no transformative catalyst in between. And the Inspiration Teacher cliche is a bit odious when it's mixed with the White Saviour, and really only redeemed in the Wire by the fact that Prez actually fails to have any ultimate long-term impact on the fates of any of his students.

I'm just finishing up season 2 on my HD rewatch so this isn't exactly fresh, but I remember it being a bit more nuanced than that. He gradually found some common ground and ways to reach out to the kids and put the material he was teaching in terms that made sense to them, and also became better at making due with the resources he had available. Very similar in some regards to Wallace with the young kid in season 1, where the kids can't handle a simple addition/subtraction word problem when it's in terms of passengers getting on and off a bus, but is able to do the exact same thing easily when it's put in terms of keeping the count of drugs right.

"If you mess up the count, they gently caress you up" :(

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

One of my friends made me watch this awful movie (on VHS, no less) he found a few weeks ago in a dumpster (don't ask...). The movie is called Kiss me Guido and it's just an awful movie full of gay and italian stereotypes. One of the actors looked and sounded awfully familiar, though...

A young, haired Herc was one of the italian stereotype side-kicks. It made the rest of the movie tolerable because of how unexpected it was.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Dang, this is probably my fourth time watching through the series and I just now caught that Cheese is Randy's father :aaaaa:

They share a last name, but there's never any contextual evidence for that.

David Simon did confirm that, though. Which means that Randy is related to Prop Joe, as well.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

Also realising for the first time that even if Stringer tries to be the "smart one" and get some education to become a businessman, almost everyone near him outsmarts him in some way; Avon for pointing out the money sources to avoid police wire, Slim on how loving stupid idea it is to order a hit on a US senator, Clay Davis swindles his money, Omar sets him up for a trap and finally, even the BP is able to get solid evidence on his connections to the game.

I saw it in a slightly different way... not as a sign of stupidity, just as a sign that he's not as much of a "businessman" as he'd like to be. When push comes to shove, he still reacts the same way as a low-level dealer: Angry outbursts and violence.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

In that world they gently caress you over looking you right in the eye with a handshake and a great big smile.

Which comes up directly with Carcetti / Clay Davis during the fight for the democratic nomination. Clay Davis asks for and receives $20,000 to not endorse Royce, does so anyway, and when confronted later laughs and says "I could have taken you for twice as much, I was going easy on you!"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

My question about my latest rewatch on The Wire is were Poot and Namond the only two that managed to 'get out' of the life? As in the only ones not dead/using/imprisoned/still involved in drugs?

Cutty got out, but that was an early part of his character arc so I don't know if we want to count it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Would Shardene count?

I wouldn't count her.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

R-Type posted:

To be fair, I don't think any of the gang/criminal actors were challenged by their roles.

Yes, like notorious gang member Idris Elba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.

Pillbug

Ornithology posted:

I also loved the bit where the cops convince a suspect that a photocopier is a polygraph to make him confess. Pure gold.

That's a true story. Cops in Detroit got into trouble for doing it in the 80s.