Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

The Wire HD is up and running on HBO GO. Watching S1E1 now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

looks like its finally time for that rewatch

It feels so much different

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

TommyGun85 posted:

the problem as I see it would be with the Greeks reaching out to the elected head of the local union who then involves a worker (horse) and two of his family members without the Greeks having issue.

I think it's probably feasible. I mean for them to run their business smoothly that's how deep into the dock Union or whatever they would need to be. And the fact that frank involved horse and his family...he can't exactly do it all by himself can he? He needed Horse to disappear it through their checking system and needed nick to physically move the containers and whatnot. Plus who can you trust more than family?

I'm also guessing that David Simon didn't just make it up. He used his years of crime reporting as the inspiration for the show.

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 26, 2014

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

I mean it pretty much explains it in the show. At the end they had to abandon a container full of heroin but that's the risk they take. They were way ahead of the cops, due largely in part to having a connection in the FBI who was able to loop them in on the entire investigation. They fled the country shortly and changed their identities and then it was back to business. There is the question of who they used at the docks when they came back but there are multiple ports so who knows maybe they just penetrated a different one.

Also from what I know about cartel smuggling in the southwest where I live and elsewhere is its kind of like throwing a handful of spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks. A good deal of product gets intercepted but at the same time they get plenty through safely.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

hhhmmm posted:

Prop Joe alone bought 5 pounds of heroin a week, a shipment of ~150 pounds (the last shipment that the Police caught) was "small" (or it might have been kilos and not pounds, can't remember). At the quantities they were operating at, you can't make the shipments small enough to get significantly below maximum sentencing either way. It doesn't matter that much if you get caught smuggling 10 pounds or 150 pounds of pure heroin.

They were definitely kilos

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Wait did it actually start airing?

I think it's airing on one of the HBO channels starting today, but the whole series is up on HBO GO.

The only thing I wish is they left the option to watch it in SD 4:3 also. Doesn't look like they did.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

drat.

Within an hour you say ...

Non-goons

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Zombie Raptor posted:

I had intended to get some poo poo done--actually productive poo poo--this Winter break before the next semester started, while I had time. Then I was reminded about this and my access to HBO Go, so now it'll be impressive if I even manage getting up to check the mail. I had been wanting to do a re-watch of the series, and though I didn't intentionally wait for the HD remaster, it is a good impetus to get back to it.

Gotta say, I was excited to hear that it was getting the HD update for a variety of reasons, but I was honestly taken back a bit when I first saw it in the HD format. I mean, it isn't the most gorgeous show or whatever, but it's nice to see it looking this good, and more on-par with what most people are used to seeing from TV shows, now that HD has become the standard. It's definitely a marked improvement, and well worth the remaster/re-airing.

I am happy now, bitch. Well, relatively.

Edit: As for the notion that something seems lost in the HD update, I can't say I agree. I can see where you're coming from--there was a particular atmosphere added by the original 4:3 SD, which is alluded to in the link to Simon's blog and such, but as far as personal preference goes, this is fantastic.

After reading Simon's words about it, he really gives a lot of perspective on how just the format/aspect ratio impacted the entire way they strategized filming and how it's not just a simple re-edit but took months of careful review and editing to do this (they still weren't able to take all the time they wanted to perfect it), I can definitely appreciate the difference and how it was not at all filmed for 16:9 but that it's still great to re-watch it this way because of a) obviously all the details gained purely from the increase in pixels and screen space and b) the differences good and bad brought about by the change.

I don't know about you guys but I never even appreciated or was even aware of the all the thought that goes into this kind of thing. I always figured they could pretty much just flip a switch so to speak and could release it in HD whenever they felt like it.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

freebooter posted:

I always assumed the Pit had nothing behind it, which is why they did a really crummy looking CGI tower - why bother when there was an actual tower there? I mean yeah it's smaller but I can't imagine that detracts much from anything.

Is Baltimore actually... like the Wire? Like, an actual third-world-country surrounded by first world white people? I always sort of assumed that it was based on Simon's experiences in the 80s/early 90s and that there was no way modern America could actually be that bad. Not even the poor black neighbourhoods. Like, "Omar wandering around with a shotgun in the middle of the day" level of lawlessness.

I'm Australian so I guess my comparison is an Aboriginal township in the Outback. Horrible, shameful poverty with an obvious racial cause which the rest of us guiltily avert our eyes from.

The murder rates they stressed about in the show were real for some time. ~300 murders a year in a city with a population of only ~600,000. For comparison New York City is averaging about 300 murders a year right now with 8 million people.

Baltimore is still pretty bad I think I looked at the figures recently and it's still over 200 a year.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

I'm almost through the HD re-watch and they did a really good job on it. I started having some thoughts about an interesting aspect I would love to see: something like Marlo or Avon's childhood and background, how they came up and especially someone like Marlo or Chris just how they got so ruthless and powerful.

We saw a little of it with someone like Michael, but really didn't get to see the full transformation, and he wasn't really set to be as powerful, intimidating, or nearly as cold blooded as Marlo I don't think.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

thepokey posted:

After years of pleading with my Dad to watch the Wire and him constantly telling me "it just doesn't sound like my kind of thing" (last said right after he finished watching Fargo, so its not like he doesn't know good TV) he finally relented and told me over Christmas that he burnt through the first 7 episodes in two days. Its my turn to be a proud doting son. Most proud moment was when he went into the pharmacist the other day telling me he was going in for the re-up :unsmith:

This just made me :lol: so hard. I wish my folks would watch it.

About Kenard, becoming more like Bird or more like Marlo, I think it could definitely go either way since he's so young and you can't really know, but he will definitely turn out as cold as either of them. I guess that's kind of what I was getting at in trying to see the background there. Why is Kenard so hard at age 8 or 10 when the rest of the kids really aren't that bad until their teens or so and even then a lot of them are just acting hard or putting on a front so they don't get targeted as weak.

It came out in the scene when he and the other little kids are loving with the cat (makes me mad every time) and the rest of them run off when Omar strolls by but Kenard obviously doesn't.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

I love the irony. I guess she didn't learn anything either because she got caught in a wire. http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/actress-from-the-wire-caught-on-wiretap-pleads-guilty-to-heroin-charge/?_r=0

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

freebooter posted:

Aha, of course. I was associating it with those old pictures of saints or angels with the halo behind their heads, which made no sense because it's quite the opposite of how McNulty's portrayed.

A little touch from that episode I missed the first time around: at the press conference where they announce they recovered Dozerman's gun, Dozerman himself is looking shaky and sweaty, and Burrell says that he will soon be returning to duty - not that he already has, or is. You get the impression they've pretty much hauled him out of a hospital bed and stuffed him in full dress uniform for the cameras.

I always wondered why Dozerman looked so uncomfortable there.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Red Crown posted:

The coroner puts him at 34 in S5. And you never know, you know that rough looking dude that works muscle for Butchy? That's the "real" Omar. Andrews, I think his name was, unfortunately dead of natural causes now. A long prison stint got him out of the stick up game and he spent the rest of his life trying to make positive changes in cities stricken with the drug trade.

He was actually blind right? Is that how he became blind or was it age?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Red Crown posted:

Don't know - not Butch, Butch's muscle. You first see him when he gears Omar up for a shivvin' in jail.He's killed when Omar raids the 5th floor apartment.

Art imitates life or???

From the Wikipedia. I had no idea.

Oh Derp I misread as Butchy

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

grading essays nude posted:

He gets it from Joe actually, when he's giving Joe some of Avon's drugs in exchange for helping set up the hit on Avon.

Every time I see that episode I'm not sure whether they modified the Joe character a bit in between season 1 and 2. I mean yeah, keeping his ringer on the bench so he can up the bet with Avon at halftime is classic Joe but being so ruthlessly opportunistic in agreeing to Avon's murder - just for a chance at taking the West Side - doesn't really seem like the same character we see later. It's one of my favorite episodes in season 1 regardless just because of Avon insulting him for dressing like "Pat loving Riley".

Yeah and Stringer was previously pretty smart about it. When he meets with Omar in season 1, he claims to not actually know Avon and just be some messenger, saying very vague stuff, because he knows (or strongly suspects) Omar is wearing a wire. He even makes Bodie prove he's not wearing one at one point in season 3.

Also I don't know if they were planning to arrest Stringer the next day just based off that one call - Stringer getting killed the next day makes it look that way, but I think they were just celebrating the very fact they had him talking at all. I think they might have wanted to tap as many calls as they could before he switched phones, to make the case as strong as possible.

Joe always wanted to get into the project towers, whether it was through Avon dying and him scooping up the real estate, or working out a deal with Stringer, which he later did. It was the most lucrative drug-dealing real estate in the city.

And, as far as stringers phone call, they were absolutely celebrating the fact that they got the evidence they needed off the wire to make the arrest. They immediately called for warrants after that call and were about to serve them when they found out he had been killed. Also if you remember McNulty was extremely upset because he knew he was going to arrest him that day, but Stringer was dead and didn't know that McNulty had finally caught him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

bucketybuck posted:

Does this not come back to the original point though. I get that him saying "Not on the phone" could be used as one piece of evidence showing conspiracy, but can it be the only piece? Can they charge him based on that one thing, what other evidence do they have?

They built up the evidence of the entire drug organization through the network of burner cell phones that they had been tapping for weeks / months. The person on the top of that tree then called stringer and he acknowledged his involvement with the criminal activity with his response on the phone. All of the "pieces" were then put together.