Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s frustrating, he was doing so well for himself in season 4, too :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I had The Shield on my to-watch list next. Wasn't sure what kind of show exactly either one was going in, but both certainly get a lot of plaudits it seems.

It's an excellent show but Pellisworth described it well--don't expect anything on the caliber of The Wire, but do prepare for an extremely above-average cop show. The main character's fascinating, and his arc is excellently done. The supporting cast is great too of course.

one of television's more grating theme songs, though

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bell was extremely good at his one thing, and therefore assumed that he’d be extremely good at anything else he tried to do, but didn’t have anyone around him (except Avon I guess, but he was busy with his own thing) to tell him he was full of poo poo.

In another universe, he’d be a Silicon Valley ceo, or Howard Schultz

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

it's like tony soprano- james gandolfini hated what a piece of poo poo the character he was playing made him feel, and anyone who's reading the subtext can see it's a deeply flawed character and not someone to idolize.

that said, most people don't pay close enough attention. the majority of people are there to see a cool guy get one over on entrenched authority t:hehe:, and consequently they idolize tony soprano/stringer bell the way he fears they do.

Yeah, just because a show is complex doesn’t mean it’s fans are. The actress who played skylar in breaking bad got irl harassment from fans who were mad at her for getting in the way of walter’s cool and fun crimes

https://nyti.ms/1f8fIOi?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Hey, I know this is some shameful poo poo, but I've started to do write-ups of Sopranos over in Ishamael's thread in a similar vein to how I did for The Wire. First episode write-up is here and I hope to maintain a similar output to what I did for The Wire, schedule permitting.

Second episode has Bodie in it!

Thanks for sharing, I've had sopranos on the brain lately for some reason, so I'll be following!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s worth finishing. The newspaper plot is bad and the serial killer thing is a bit much but the season overall is worth watching.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

I love the little details like this in the Wire too. They don't hit you over the head with them. Unless you're paying attention you don't realize on your first watch that Omar asks Joe for 20 on the dollar for the heroin and then when Joe is selling the dealers the shipment that Omar sold to him he charges the dealers 30 on the dollar for it, thus recouping some expenses.

Joe owns.

It's important to note too he doesn't lose to Marlo because he's treating him like a son or with kindness. He's 100% trying to use Marlo as basically his own personal muscle. But using someone as ambitious and cold blooded as Marlo was a danger Joe didn't properly respect.

Yeah I was gonna say, I loved that little detail of joe quietly pulling one over on the coop. They don’t draw attention to it, he just can’t help himself so he goes for it, even though he’s in a ridiculously precarious position.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

E: dbl post

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

In a show that doesn’t always deliver justice to all its characters, that was a very refreshing scene

It’s like bubbles’ last scene, but with schadenfreude instead of joy

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

I can't think of a single po-lice in The Wire who isn't hosed up in one way or another.

I spend a lot of time thinking about the deadpan “I just throw up a couple of times and go to work” cop from, I think, season 5

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

None since on the show they never treated them as humans, just corpses. That never sat well with me.

It’s like they go out of their way not to acknowledge they were living humans killed in transit as part of a human trafficking organization, just a common ho-hum mysterious shipment of dead bodies.

Didn’t mcnulty make a big deal about trying to identify her so that he could notify her family?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've been watching Succession, and I feel like Kieran Culkin's character is a vision of what Ziggy would be like if he had been born into money instead

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

that's why you always shut that door

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Bodie had it coming.

I don't think even he would be surprised at how he went out

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Strawman posted:

Poot shoots Wallace because Bodie murders him half-way, can't finish the job, and he doesn't want his friend to die in agony. He's in tears, it's the reason he gets out of the game.

I mean...he stayed in the game for four more seasons, I think he just left because poo poo was getting way too intense for him by the end. Bodie cries too I think, doesn’t he? He at least is visibly trying not to, anyway.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Laterite posted:

The last rewatch I did really struck home with how much of a despicable rear end in a top hat McNulty becomes over the course of the series. It's a hell of a road from "ain't I a stinker, Major?" in Season 1 to "deliberately stages murder scenes" in Season 5.

Also lol that this season of Bosch has Lance Reddick's character have a compromised past that catches up to him in much the same way it did with Daniels.

Yeah it's definitely something I missed on my first watch that stands out more the second time. McNulty's not some troubled antihero, dude just sucks. They never should have let him off the boat

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Marlo murdered a working man for wanting it one way, but it was the other way

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

even though i know i don't like crab, somehow every time people hang out eating huge piles of crab on the wire i want to eat crab

Same, except for when bunk eats crab gut. That drives the urges right out.

I also get a little queasy thinking about the smell generated by two cops eating a greasy pile of crabs in an interrogation room. Maybe it’s a psychological trick.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

This is also revolting to me. Eating that stuff is like eating the garbage of the garbage.

it gives me visceral memories of eating lobster for the first time as a kid, not knowing exactly which parts you're supposed to be eating, and cracking open the torso (or whatever you call it on a lobster)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

awesmoe posted:

how does that mesh with his ending, where he gets basically what stringer (the actual capitalist) wanted and bails on it to go back to the corner?
yes he's about the ruthless pursuit of power at the expense of all those around him, but that story's older than capitalism is.

Yeah that kind of doesn't make sense to me. Marlo seems to explicitly care about his reputation more than he cares about money, I'm not sure how that squares with the capitalism allegory.

Not that I'm accusing Simon of being wrong about his own show, but I guess I just don't quite get it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rollie Fingers posted:

Yeah I'm surprised to read Season 2 seems to have a mixed reaction. I thought the season was exceptional and some of the hardest hitting TV I've watched.

After reading more about David Simon in the last few days, I'm surprised he wrote such a sympathetic tribute to the working class since he seems like an arch centrist.

I think my reaction to season 2 was the typical one; I didn't like it at first because after S1 I finally thought I got a sense of what this show was all about and then they go and change it up on me. But then once you finish the series and really understand what the show was about, you realize that actually season 2 is quite excellent, it's just that initial "wait who are these people" shock that kind of drags it down a little.

I will say that even on the first watch, by the end of season 2 I was fully on board with it (frank's arc is so well done that you can't help but fall in love with it), it just took some time to get into the swing. I didn't like ziggy at all until my rewatch though; and even then I can't say I "like" him, I just understand it better. He's like if Namond didn't get a break.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

God Hole posted:

ehhh i think they actually did kinda lay the groundwork for lester's arc. rhonda catches him trying to manipulate her into pursuing a case at what she thinks is an inoppurtune time based on when the city elections are and he all but admits it. that establishes that 1) he gets tunnel vision like mcnulty and isn't afraid to crack a few eggs for that omelet and 2) he's willing to break the "rules" to get his case. yeah it's still a huge leap from that to fabricating a serial killer, but at the same time he reallllllly wanted marlo.

same. I've watched the series 3 times and i still can't remember whether there was actually a copycate killer or not?? that plotline was closed up really sloppily (excepting that badass showdown between rhonda and levy)

There was a copycat killer yeah, it was one of the homeless guys, the one that collected trading cards.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think I lacked the familiarity and/or fondness for jazz and new orleans that that show seemed to require. Although I will always remember the excellent exchange between Clarke Peters' character (I think) and the insurance agent that was denying his post-katrina property damage claim that went something like:

"How do you sleep at night?"

"I drink :shrug:"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Avon also chuckled when Cutty hit him with the figure he had in mind that he was real nervous about even bringing up.

I love that scene so much. Avon is so disinterested and Cutty is just sweating bullets, when at the end of the day the amount he's asking for is so inconsequential to Avon that he didn't even need to bother with a sales pitch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

did they do it in the hallway :thunk:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

General Battuta posted:

What is ‘it,’ beating up black kids? Or Kima being less than morally spotless? She cheats on her girlfriend, she’s not as much of a mess as McNulty but she’s hardly a textbook Good Person.

Now if you want dropped character flaws, I don’t think Daniels’ dirty past (took bribes, maybe?) ever came up again.

It's only mentioned a handful of times throughout the series but it absolutely comes up and destroys his career at the very end

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And the scene after Pres blinds the kid, Daniels is clearly disgusted with the three of them, but nonetheless his first instinct is to help them get their lie together so that no cop has to face any consequences.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lemon posted:

Valchek is an absolute all-timer TV show rear end in a top hat, he is outstanding

His most sympathetic scene is the scene where he’s coaching herc (a man who’s also horrible) on how to get the most leverage out of blackmailing the mayor. The show never even tries to make him three dimensional and frankly I’m grateful for it, it’s nice to have someone to feel good about hating now and then

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah that guy's a character actor that shows up in a lot of stuff. I think I first remember him as Kristen Schaal's prisoner/husband in Flight of the Conchords

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I would struggle to describe The Wire as fully "pro cop" or copaganda. I don't think it fully commits to showing the harm that police cause, but it does come up here and there; eg the entire hamsterdam season, where cops like Herc and Colicchio are just itching to go back to busting heads, or Carcetti's ridealong where we see cops basically entrapping people to meet arrest quotas (and the one guy who just wants to drop white phosphorous on the whole ghetto, which to me feels like a scene inspired by Simon's IRL experience as a cop reporter), or walker straight up breaking a child's fingers, and so on. I mean even in season one you have scenes where "good guys" are more committed to the thin blue line than to being decent people; Kima rushing over to join in on beating the poo poo out of Bodie, Daniels making sure everyone has their stories straight so that nobody gets punished for Prezbo blinding a teenager (even though he's personally furious with them, his main priority is to make sure that no cop faces a consequence), etc.

I think if you made the show again today, you'd have to put the acab themes more front and center, but they're definitely there in the background, I feel. I guess you could accuse the show of making too many protagonists "good cops" but I don't feel like it presents the institution itself as a force for good. I never felt like it was trying to say "well there's a few bad apples, what can you do," the whole institution always came across as rotten to the core to me, and the good cops were just trying to make the best of it.

Human Tornada posted:

given up by his foster mom because they firebombed his house

Is that what happened? I assumed she died, but now that you mention it I don't remember specifically.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

what were his means exactly

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to work in the Baltimore major crimes unit

(I wanted to phrase this with the words mcnulty uses when he tries to impress Carcetti's election consultant on a dinner date, but I couldn't find the quote from that scene before I got lazy)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rollie Fingers posted:

I just found the idea of an honest and principled journalist for a mainstream American newspaper too far fetched. What was Gus doing when the written press were fabricating stories about Saddam's weapons of mass destruction and cheerleading for war based on literal made up evidence? I mean it was only five years earlier.

The whole Baltimore Sun storyline felt like it belonged in the 70s rather than Iraq War America.

Yeah, gus definitely comes across as a bit of a righteous self-insert and the season suffers a little for it (same for the irredeemably out of touch bosses, although the more radicalized i become against mainstream american media, the less of a caricature they seem to be, but they're still pretty poo poo characters).

That said, for as noble and holy as Gus comes across, the show goes out of its way to point out that even he doesn't really care about any of the violence going on in Baltimore's "zip codes that don't matter." IIRC there's a scene where he (gonna put this major spoiler in tags for the person who posted recently about how they just started watching the show) spikes the article about Omar's death in favor of...I don't even remember what, actually. So this larger than life legend of the streets isn't even important enough to register as a footnote in the city's paper of record, even to the guy that we're supposed to think is one of the good ones.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

but in Season 5, the Baltimore Sun Editors are just incredibly 1-dimensional rear end in a top hat idiots who don't know anything and have dumb concerns and they smell bad too!

also one of them was basically named Rich Whiteman

actually James Whiting but pretty close

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Concurred posted:

4, 2, 3, 1, 5 :hai:

I reverse 4 and 2 depending on which one I happen to be watching at the time but I think this is it for me too yeah.

Also probably how I’d rate the theme songs

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Happy Thread posted:

Also I just realized that when the thin-skinned David Simon melted down and blocked me on Twitter, it was when I had implied that he wasn't be true to the message of his own show.....according to season 4's thesis. The significance only now has occurred to me that David had ceded control during season 4 and that Ed Burns was mainly telling the story at that point. It's clearly not the same message Simon would have put in, and perhaps I triggered some more resentment by getting the two mixed up.

David Simon's twitter makes me regularly forget that he's the guy who wrote the wire (and homicide, and the corner, and loads of other great stuff). His vocabulary on there is....really annoying

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Syrian Lannister posted:

Lol

Hoping she was going to be added in the poll

E. I still can't get into Ziggy

He definitely doesn't make it easy. I fuckin hated him on my first watch of the series--burning the money in the bar and killing the duck were a bit too far for me. I still can't say I like him, but upon a rewatch, I kind of get him, which is as much as I think he can ask from me.

If you haven't already seen it, it's worth watching Generation Kill; for a lot of reasons, but among them that Ziggy's actor is in it as a much more likeable character, almost a glimpse into the alternate universe where everyone realize he's never going to follow in his father's footsteps and joins the marines instead. Still not a great life for him I guess but at least he tries

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Does Bosch get better as it goes on? I watched one season awhile ago and it was like, okay, but pretty formulaic. Maybe I'm just jaded now but yet another brooding detective who the bosses have it out for is like, not working for me by itself. I enjoyed seeing jamie hector and lance reddick but I dunno, I didn't quite get the pull of the show.

This was my experience too, yeah; I think I watched the first two episodes and thought it was fine, but didn't really get grabbed enough to keep going. Is it one of those shoes you have to stick with for a while before it gets going, or is it just not for me, maybe?

I also started watching it right around the time all the anti-brutality protests started happening, and opening the show with "ah, it may have looked like this cop shot an unarmed man, but actually," was simply the worst way to get me to want to keep going at that time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And they're both created by guys named David

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I couldn't really get into justified either; is season 2 where it really starts picking up? Season 1 felt a little episodic and it didn't grab me.