Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Time to start a debate maybe or something:

I'm planning on rewatching this for the first time. I've seen the whole show exactly once, but it took me from like 2008-2011 to finish it. For my rewatch, should I go for the 4:3 DVDs or the widescreen blus? I figure now we're a few years out from the blu release maybe there would be some consistency in opinions but who knows??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok nice! I definitely remember the conversation around the time of release being how Simon still thought of it as an alternate version, but I never followed up on how the set itself was received. Thanks everyone!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m only two episodes into my rewatch and I can’t believe how many times I echoed the “wait til episode 4” thing when this show is great from the very beginning and really not that hard to follow in the slightest. And it’s not like memory really helps because I haven’t seen these episodes in 10 years.

e: wow this post seems really douchey when I come back to it. also it undoubtedly helps that I’m aware of which characters will become important later in the series and which won’t.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 11, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I forgot about “Count be wrong, they’ll gently caress you up” and now I’m broken inside

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking up the ages of some of the actors and man it's insane that Idris Elba was only 29-30 during season 1. And Andre Royo was 33-34. drat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
goddamn fuckin Ziggy is such a dipshit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Weird when you get to the end of season 2 and there are 2 musical montages in 2 episodes (not including the end-season one, these are in eps 10/11)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 3 is really loving funny. I think maybe it is my second favourite after all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s either 43215 or 42315 depending on how I’m feeling

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(not a response to the post above or anything but) it’s been 10 years and I’m still so baffled that Simon thought that serial killer plot could work on the same level as everything else in the show and not just come off as ridiculous. I know some claim Hamsterdam is equally unrealistic, but I think that tracks far better as something desperate police would actually do. If it wasn’t for the superlative work in every other aspect of McNulty’s character over five seasons it would definitely be something that ruined him for me (and I guess Freamon too but atm I can remember his involvement)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh drat. RIP.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bown/status/963769118917890048

Happy V-Day Wire fans

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man I forgot about that book, just grabbed a copy. Not gonna finish until I’m done with this rewatch, but I’m really looking forward to it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah the oral history of the Wire that just came out called All the Pieces Matter, which is what the AV Club article is getting its info from.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This loving video slays me every time

https://youtu.be/FOtYuPceqlE

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah +1 on everything Farrier says. It’s almost definitely Simon’s best work since The Wire.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn this looks good, but it better not gently caress things up for season 2 of The Deuce

I think that's already shooting so we're probably good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That dude’s Littlefinger voice gets so so weird by the end

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
British children don’t have pints with dinner.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ornithology posted:

Any suggestions of non David Simon shows with a similar complexity? I've heard Deadwood is great and has similarly dense writing.

This is totally true although it’s more foul-mouthed Shakespearean than the realism of The Wire’s writing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why do you think you’re meant to root for Carcetti?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean by the end of season 3 you’ve already seen more than enough to know the show doesn’t see him as a good character, right? I mean the mirror sex scene alone

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just because someone called you a racist in the rap thread doesn’t mean you have to go trying to prove your cred now

lmao I’m so sorry it was just right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was just a joke my dude, I’m not trying to harass you :shrug: