Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
I like at this point that the contempt the other dealers feel for D is already palpable. The smirk on Stringers face as he delivers: "Now what you think". It's clear that they think he owes his position to nepotism, which is a fair assessment.

I like that, while McNulty and D are both skilled at what they do, D's problem is that he isn't "built for the game" and isn't personally invested enough, whereas McNulty's problem is that he's TO invested, and they're both punished for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Lugaloco posted:

The thing that really stands out for me in the pilot (and all throughout Season 1) is how often we see the action through other cameras. Seriously, there's a ton of scene-opening shots (whatever you call them) where we're looking through a security camera on both the streets and the police. I guess it just signifies that everyone is being watched all the time and there's no escape. It also reminds me of one of the show's key themes throughout its run: everyone's trapped. In one way or another the system you are in is always watching, waiting for you to gently caress up and as a result chew you out like there's no tomorrow.

I do like that they bought it back for the series finale, McNulty and Daniels in the elevator!

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Not to mention, if you gently caress up, ala Little Man, you get dealt with rather harshly.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

escape artist posted:

You make a good point. But what's strange is that Wallace gets a $500 bonus for pointing our Brandon, too. I know he ends up getting high, but still, where did that $500 go? $500 of chips and juice boxes for the young ones?

He wasn't working while he was getting high, and yeah, raising a bunch of kids will drain $500 quick.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

EvanSchenck posted:

That would have been my own first guess, because it's so obvious. I guess an alternative interpretation would be, uh, I don't know... but if we're just bullshitting...

Maybe the tracks are the police department, as in cop society, pursuit of career advancement, looking out for one another instead of doing the job. The train is McNulty's own inability to cope with being there, his insubordination, pride, alcoholism, tendency to gently caress himself up over dumb poo poo. What he really needs to do is get off the tracks--like when he was on the boat after season 1, or when he was walking a beat in the Western after season 3, and he was content and personally stable. But he can't help jumping on the tracks just so he can piss all over them: jumping into the heart of the department to gently caress the bosses and show everybody how smart he is. And when he's doing that, the train (his own hosed-up personality) is always barreling down at him.

It's gotta extend beyond McNulty, since the trains are referenced even in scenes without him.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

One thing that stood out for me is when Ziggy aces Double G, they use that shaky blurry camera to demonstrate his mindstate. I don't think they do anything like that anywhere else.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'm fairly sure there's a few other scenes in S2 that were of that nature: more traditional TV and less "strictly observational".

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

I can't really be mad that people think Breaking Bad is the greatest show of all time. Some people believe Sons of Anarchy is the greatest show of all time. I'm certain people feel the same way about Real Housewives of Cityname.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

cletepurcel posted:

On the other hand, I swear I read Simon claiming once that it had to do more with the fact that they had a 95% black cast with many nonprofessional actors, and that their writing staff wasn't WGA dayjob workers but mostly crime novelists. I'm probably confusing this with speculation from somewhere else though.

This I think was regarding the low viewership. Theres a strong and well documented negative correlation between the number of POC's in your main cast, and viewership in TV and Movies.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

I feel like the way Omar and Rawls handle their homosexuality is almost a perfect metaphor for their personal relationship with the system. Omar flaunts his homosexuality in the face of the system and dares anyone to challenge him over it. Rawls suppresses it in order to advance within the system. I feel like Rawls could have being a Lester or McNulty, given his skills and what he is capable of observing, but suppresses it in order to advance his career.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I'm glad you're not Cheese. He's your dog, and he'll always have much love for you. :unsmith:

Ya'll are cold-rear end motherfuckers.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

By the same token McNulty is not smart for continuously bashing his head against the system. Prop Joe is not smart for bringing Marlo under his wing. Stringers not smart for trying his hand at a game he didn't fully understand.

They did dumb things, but one can't reasonably say these were unintelligent people, the same goes for D, Wallace and Bodie.

Also one need not look much further than Namond for street vs book smarts.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

pokeyman posted:

We see the police doing exactly this in S03E01, though their gang has twice as many people. A testament to Omar's efficiency.

Also Omar was successful.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Wow, there are people who thought Joe was illiterate or that Avon thought Joe was illiterate? Anyone who thinks that is more illiterate than Joe. How is it not obvious that it's just Avon poo poo-talking. They were cheering for opposite teams, and he decided to talking poo poo, how could that not be clear?

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Randomly Specific posted:

Even on the first viewing I felt Stringer got exposed for his shortcomings on multiple occasions. His problem was that he was too street to play with the big boys, and too much wannabe businessman to fit in with the game. Stringer is the kind of guy who handles things fairly well when he's rehearsed and planned them out ahead of time, but tends to gently caress up when he's confronted with the differences between theory and practice.

Do you know what I see when I look at you? I see a man without a country.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Yup, and these are the scenes Random was talking about, watch side by side to highlight the differences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qT0nX6I6iA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwuckTkE7T4

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

It's been ages since I've watched that episode, but does anything happen to Marlo prior to the store scene that might trigger his insecurity, and make him abuse the guard like that? Your calling it a petty act definitely resonated, it was so ridiculous it almost feels like he was trying to get the guy to call him out, so Marlo could make a point. Or I guess he was just always that in need of validation, and there isn't an immediate antecedent?

He got cleaned out in poker.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Spoilers Below posted:

I guess what I was going for was that Zig could have become Marlo with the right set of circumstances.

Marlo never could have become Ziggy, no question there. Kinda like how Marlo will never become the Greek, despite all their similarities.

Though I do question the "inherently dangerous" bit. I don't think we ever see Marlo do anything physical personally until the very end, where he attacks the corner boys. Everything else is run through Chris. If Marlo only had Cheese and White Mike to back him up. he'd be a lot less threatening.

Marlo killed that girl that worked for Avon. There was also that snitch who ended up dead, shot in the same way. Marlo was in the same position that Avon was in at the start of Season 1. Avon had Weebay muscling for him, but there's no way either Avon or Marlo got where they were without a rep, and without putting in work.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

cletepurcel posted:

One thing I do wonder is how Joe got to the top. It can't have ALL been just deal making and double crosses; he must have done poo poo to earn respect, yet it's difficult to imagine this enormously fat man who avoids violence at all costs personally killing people.

Yeah, but he's middle aged. 20 year old Joe may not have the wisdom he has now. Besides, he talked to Stringer about how "when your against a wall you go to the gun, I know, I've been there".

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

At the end of Season 3, all those guys they had cuffed were dudes that were caught on the wire. Bunk says as much to another detective. Not all of those guys were selling in Hamsterdam presumably. Bodie was one of the few who was primarily selling in Hamsterdam, so he get's to claim entrapment.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Obviously The Wire and Sesame Street are in the same universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLdim8hWR44

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

CPFortest posted:

The only real reason that Kintel Williamson was never that important is that The Wire mostly concerns itself with the major kingpins and their operations in West and East Baltimore.

While this is true, Kintel could have been airlifting metric tons of dope straight into Baltimore on a daily basis and driving through schoolyards shooting children, and McNulty would still be gunning for Stringer because Stringer was the one that "beat" him in Season one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

Great, then everyone watches The Wire and we're right back to depression. Smooth idea.

But in this alternate reality we would just watch The Wire and go "ahahaha, look at this silly assholes, how could they let their world get this way."

Which makes me in THIS world depressed :(.