Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

cheese and crackers posted:

I also think it would have been great to have a few more episodes in season 5. it would have allowed for less of the newsroom per episode (I liked the storyline as a whole and feel it is important, but it definitely felt boring to me at times)

The odd thing about Season 5 is that I have given the newsroom storyline a little more credit after getting to know a newspaper reporter. She basically stated that, while many felt it was exaggerated and black and white, that's pretty much exactly how newsrooms -are- to the point that she could draw direct parallels with people she knew.

She worked for the Detroit News, which is highly similar to the Baltimore Sun in many ways, and has since gone on to the Post, so I'm not sure if her experiences still mirror or not - but it might just be a case of that particular work environment being unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Spoilers Below posted:

I agree completely. A friend of mine is a vet, and some of the poo poo she had to deal with is just awful... Drug dealing I get, hating someone for something they did I understand, but forcing two otherwise innocent animals to kill one another for your amusement? :smith:

People disassociate things all the time as not being "like them." Dogs have extremely high intelligence and self awareness and a very similar emotional makeup to humans, but people can de...uh...personalize them and make them "dumb animals" that exist for their amusement, and therefore just use them as cruel entertainment and sport.

It's the same way with humans - people have done that to other humans all of the time, and even in the context of The Wire, many people in power viewed the people in the streets as nothing more than animals as well, which made the contrast between a Herc and a Carver in how they saw things.

(I grew up in Detroit and there's a HUGE pit-bull fighting underground here, and while I didn't -see- the fights, I knew of people that took part in them, and it was pretty much the mentality of what I speak.)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Back to the best season chat - the reason 4 is the best, outside of personal taste, is that it has the most important narrative, especially when taking current events into consideration.

One of the hardest things to get large portions of the populace to see is how personal choice is molded by the events around you, as their ego presses them to feel that all of their success comes strictly from self (thus juxtaposing that others' failure is dependent on self, as well). Thus, in cases like Ferguson, etc., people are quick to put the blame on those that commit crimes, and ignore the systematic reasons in which they do so.

Season 4 does the best at spitting in the face of that, as the perspective goes from state government all of the way down to children. It shows how "big decisions" trickle down and affect individuals to the point where they have little chance of success, and shows how success in life is basically a crap shoot of timing and opportunity. Michael, Namond, Dookie, and Randy were all good kids with a ton of potential, but due to pure circumstance and chance, only Namond was able to realize it, with the system and outside pressures striking each one of the others down. I've honestly never heard anyone whose watched that season go into blaming young black people for themselves ever again, honestly.

3 does a good job focusing on police targeting/problems, but, again, 4 kind of explores that a little better in my opinion as well, due to its smaller and more direct focus.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

freebooter posted:

Wait when are there trains in the Wire? All I remember is Bunk and Jimmy pissing on the train tracks while they're drinking. And maybe a math question about a train in Prez's class?

Every time there's a big plot moment in the show, especially when centered around McNulty, Bunk and McNulty meet at the train tracks and have a conversation.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ehhhh...in season 1 McNulty and D'Angelo are dual protagonists on opposite sides. Sobotka in 2, Stringer in 3, the kids in 4 are purely the protagonists, etc.

It never just takes the cop side or "drugs are bad," as it equally frames someone doing something illegal as a good guy too. There is just typically one villain on each side, ie. Valcheck and Marlo or whatever, depending on the season.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is my problem, this doesn’t come from up a lot.

It kind of comes up with season four but it’s undercut a bit by the boys being given outs but not taking them. Which kind of makes it a personal failing rather than systematic

They don't really get outs that they can recognize with the big picture. They are a victim of wrong place, wrong time.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

I guess you could say the Wire is being unusually sympathetic to cops in that most real world police seem to be huge assholes and in the Wire only most of the cops are assholes and even the ones that are assholes have some redeeming qualities. :v:

Cops being assholes is dependent on locale and history, too. Detroit cops, for instance, are better than, say, St Louis cops, on average, but thats because of a combination of Detroit riots and a huge push for community outreach in the late 90s that caused them to be more hands off of minor, stupid poo poo and to mostly stop beating and shooting people. There are multiple levels of assholishness, and cops are all over the place depending on where they are located.

The Wire has some almost ok cops that are still bastards because Simon's experiences come from Baltimore with a weird drug corner system and a lot of locally sourced police that were raised there that isn't as prevalent in a lot of other cities. I think the portrayal is just based on observations from that location.

Darko fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

4 is objectively the best. 2 gets you ready for it.

Thats how you realize its not a "normal" show and a group of interconnected mythological tragedies where you follow different protagonists.