Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Hopping on the "2nd time watching this and omg" bandwagon, I just finished season 1, episode 3.

Holy poo poo, that scene where D'Angelo is teaching Bodie and Wallace how to play chess. D'Angelo is making a metaphor of the game since he refers to how the King is like Avon and the Queen is like Stringer, but what's amazing is how much deeper that metaphor actually goes in the context of the entire show. It's something that only really hits me strongly the second time through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CaptainHollywood posted:

In the last thread it was recently determined that the real King is The Greek :ssh:

Yeah, I was intentionally vague. The tagline of that episode is "The King stay the King" and when D'Angelo is explaining the game, Bodie asks if the pawns could ever become Kings. D'Angelo tells him that's not how it works. I definitely read that and other bits as allusions to The Greek being the real King.

Like I said, it's a clever metaphor for the drug game. But if you've seen the whole series before and are rewatching, you see how it's actually an even deeper metaphor for the drug-trade side of the entire series.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

escape artist posted:

If Avon is the king, then he got checkmated by Marlo and company.

Just a late night, drowsy thought.

Naw, Marlo was a pawn that reached the opposite end of the board and became a Queen. The Greek is still the King.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Breaking Bad is good tv, it's fun, and it's a good thrill. The Wire is a different animal. It's all about the slow build, realism, deep sociocultural self-reflection. Somehow The Wire manages to simultaneously have like twenty really amazing, well-developed characters I actually care about at any moment in the series.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't think Burrell was gay - are you thinking of Rawls?

Extremely memorable scene either way though.

Yeah Rawls was gay. An interesting note about the dialogue in that scene - Carv suggests someone speak to "Kima's girl" and I think it's Burrell who responds "her daughter." Daniels: "no, her roommate."

I'm not sure Burrell got the subtext there, but the commissioner definitely didn't and gave no fucks.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Finishing up season 3 on I think my third rewatch, I'd forgotten Stringer dies in s3, it's been a couple years since I last watched the Wire and for some reason I thought he got got in s4.

I think there's an interesting parallel between the characters of Stringer and McNulty. They're both smart and competent but sabotage themselves through their own self-righteousness. The big difference is that McNulty knows he's a fuckup and doesn't care that he's burning bridges with coworkers and the bosses, while Stringer has a blind spot and thinks his actions can't possibly come back to hurt him.

Stringer considers himself a businessman, he's above the street. It's just business. He's way past that gangsta wild poo poo. Except... he's not, and that's ultimately his downfall. He orders the abduction and torture of Omar's boy Brandon in s1 that sets Omar against Bell and the Barksdale crew. He lies to Omar about Brother Mouzone being Brandon's torturer, which sets Omar against Mouzone and ultimately turns Mouzone against Stringer. Stringer orders the murder of D'Angelo which pushes Avon to betray String. Stringer thinks he's above it all because he has other people do his dirty work for him, but his instinct is always toward violence. A great example is how he wants Slim Charles to assassinate Clay Davis after Clay plays Stringer for a quarter mil in cash.

McNulty thinks he's real po-lice, Stringer thinks he's a real businessman. Except McNulty fully realizes and even embraces how much of a fuckup he is, while Stringer imagines himself to be above it all.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It's come up before but if you like Wire you should check out The Shield if you've never seen it. It's not that similar to The Wire other than both being cop shows with great acting, but it's extremely good. It's much more action-y and fast-paced, has bad guy of the week episodes but also solid season plots. Vic Mackey is an excellent character, he's the epitome of "hate to love."

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's an excellent show but Pellisworth described it well--don't expect anything on the caliber of The Wire, but do prepare for an extremely above-average cop show. The main character's fascinating, and his arc is excellently done. The supporting cast is great too of course.

one of television's more grating theme songs, though

The other thing that I forgot to mention about The Shield is how Los Angeles is kind of a character like Baltimore is in The Wire. If you've lived in LA (I was there for eight years), you'll recognize a ton of familiar locations. The main characters are based on the real-life corrupt cops of the Rampart Division, and Aceveda is loosely Antonio Villaraigosa (much less so than Carcetti is O'Malley). The gangs, ethnic, and faith communities are all major parts of the plot and show overall. It's certainly very LA.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Please tell me there’s a noir scene at Angels Flight

No, the show's pretty self-serious and doesn't dip into noir.

There's a ton of locations in Hollywood, Koreatown, Echo Park. I remember when in the show they bust some Armenian mafia above Ara's pastry and I was like whoa, I live literally one block from there, cool!

That's when I learned I was living at the (mostly former) epicenter of Armenian Power turf (Normandie and Hollywood) and twenty years ago it had been gangland central.