Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

I have to disagree. I think McNulty is definitely the "main" character of the show but not in the sense of your typical TV series. It's true that in Season 4 he isn't on screen all that much, but even then his absence is still a big part of the story arc, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the show begins with McNulty taking on Barksdale and ends with McNulty leaving the force.

Here's how I imagine this origin story.

BIGWIG: All right, fella, we're doing promo. Who's the Face?
SIMON: There's no main character. It's a greek--
BIGWIG: Can it, Simon! The 'Bo can't put boy-thigh-fuckin' on a poster. What's on toppa that marquee?
PRICE: (O.S.) Tell 'em it's McNulty! [Giggles]
SIMON: Jimmy McNulty's your guy, Bigwig. [Chortles forever]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Benny D posted:

Ive been crazy about this show for years and I cant believe it took me so long to look for a thread here. As a die-hard fan, can someone explain to me what the issue is with season 5? I hear alot of people say that they didnt care for it, and while it clearly wasnt up to snuff after how amazing season 4 was, I still found it incredibly original. The opening where Freamon and McNutty are hiding in the comm closet making the fake serial killer call always cracks me up.

S5's flaws are forgivable but greatly amplified by the poor acting among the newspaper staff. I'd assume they're mostly professionals, and they did generally worse than the people who weren't pro actors in other seasons. Gutierrez makes me really uncomfortable to watch, it's so embarrassing.

I think this was the 'realism problem' more than the outlandish plots.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Was D really doing cocaine in prison? I always thought it was heroin.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm rewatching S2E05 right now, and for the first time I'm struck by the low-resolution picture. I've gotten used to HD lately, and this is a drag. Does HBO ever do high-res remasters?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know if it is possible for them to do this...

But it was shot on film. I don't care about the aspect ratio, but there's a lot more resolution available.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Starting to watch S2E06 ahead of time. First scene, Omar helps the cop with the crossword clue about the god of war. Ares, not Mars. "Same dude, different name." I wonder what second meaning of this is. Probably the same point he's making at Levy next scene--that he's a gangster with a briefcase or somesuch.

EDIT: I got confused. That scene with Levy does not directly follow. Not even sure if it's in this episode.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 30, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The way Koutris barely reacts to the "confidential source monitor" on his computer seems to imply he's saved their asses plenty of times. He couldn't have a history with the Greeks without having seen tragedies like the dead girls situation. He's not a loving good guy.

On that source monitor, Glekas and Serge's names are red and blue (respectively) and underlined. Does this mean they're both protected? Or maybe just that they both have a record?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I understand the explanations. Despite the root causes of Koutris acting like that, he's not a sympathetic character. The bad things he allows are not necessary evils, at least within the context of the show. The comparison to Whitey Bulger is smart and reveals what you need to know to judge him.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

cheese and crackers posted:

Whether koutris is corrupt or not, it makes sense for him to turn a blind eye to the greek's crimes because without his cooperation he wouldn't have any info on the greek or those he is informing on. If he didnt cooperate with the greek then 2000+ lbs of crack and god knows what else would slip across the border right under their noses. A good real-life example of this is whitey bulgers involvement with the fbi in boston back in the day.

...But that Bulger situation was disastrous. He played the cops. And their "generosity" with him may ruin the state's case against him now. The Greek IS the big fish, and cooperating with him (he's a slaver, remember?) is the point where use of CIs becomes less morally ambiguous. They should arrest him and offer a very generous plea deal if he gives up a good number of people at his level.

That said, police action is more effective against terrorism than military action. I admit I'm not an expert and I might be wrong on this topic.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

EvanSchenck posted:

That was a complete fiasco for the FBI, as I outlined above.

The Greek is the international crime ring. The only reason he gave up that crack shipment to Koutris was the Colombians tried to stiff him on chemicals they needed to process cocaine into crack.

Wait, the Colombians stiffed the Greeks on baking soda?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Buller posted:

No the Columbians underpay the Greek on the chemicals used to make Cocaine out of Coca leaves.

Oh, okay. That makes a little more sense. But still, I can't imagine that process requires more than some simple solvents, maybe some strong acid/base, and at worst some distillation. Doubt it requires going international. Beside which cocaine almost never comes into the country unprocessed. It's grown in Colombia or Bolivia or someplace, processed in the country next door, and usually cut a couple times by the time it's shipped to the consuming country. Importing coca leaves themselves is impractical for reasons including the sheer bulk of it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

CPFortest posted:

Colvin is more tolerable than Gus as an self insert because he is far more cynical about the issues he deals with than Gus is regarding the Baltimore Sun.

Can you elaborate a little bit? What do you mean by cynical, exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

That all comes out in one of my favorite Burrell scenes, the "they get elected, and they think they know police work" speech he gives Rawls at the end. I thought it was kind of humble of Simon to give such a sympathetic speech to a character that embodied everything he hated about the BPD.

I wonder what Simon/Burns/etc think about this sentiment. Are politicians always bad for policing? If the PD totally ran its own shop would things go well? Would an independent PD stop being an institution? I think in the world of The Wire, if the mayor et al stopped being a factor policing would be a much bigger mess.

The themes that "individuals can't see the big picture" and "institutions can't understand people" are irreconcilable. (The show portrays people as more flawed even than institutions. We just don't notice it because it's easier to sympathize with a character than an abstraction.) So the message of the show, the point, is a problem without a possible solution. Though Simon would disagree.