Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

StashAugustine posted:

idk mcnulty indirectly causes a ton of awful poo poo but i don't really think bodie was his fault- dude honestly wanted out but through no real fault of anyone's got caught
McNulty picked Bodie up at jail, without Bodie knowing about it. That is directly why Bodie got shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
She plays/played the mom of the (drug dealer) main character in Snowfall, too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Jerusalem posted:

He showed up at cultural events that should have been a little outside his pay bracket to be comfortable with etc, but not enough to do more than raise a few eyebrows.
Huh? The only social events I remember were the ones they attended because his wife was running for council.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

General Battuta posted:

I think about this a lot, what is 'real power' in the Wire?
The ability to put six syllables into the word “poo poo”.

On a different note, here’s a question that I can’t google an answer to: anyone know how many times in the series Bodie said “poo poo is on”?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Like, ain't you supposed to be smart Stringer?
Stringer is an extreme fuckup. Just about everything he initiates ends up being a bad idea that turns out poorly.

Having Omar's boyfriend killed.
Trying to play Brother … Mousad?
Starting the co-op that he quickly loses power over.
Like you mentioned, playing at being a developer and losing a ton of money.
OK'ing a hit on Omar on a Sunday.
Killing D'Angelo.

He’s just a bad idea factory.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

pokeyman posted:

Stringer going along with the co-op was maybe the one thing he didn't gently caress up.
At the beginning, Stringer was pretty much calling the co-op shots. Later on, not so much.

He didn’t gently caress up the co-op, he just hosed it up for Stringer.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
He did know that. It was never determined whether or not he knew we're gonna look like some punk rear end bitches out there.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Count Roland posted:

In the show it was a bit of a stretch. They set up a fake phone store... with what budget?
$20 and “hey Jim why don’t you go get some dinner on us and come back in an hour and we’ll forget about that thing last week”?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My brain is chuckling at Police Commissioner Jay Landsman.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
They never told us who shot Snot, did they?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Solkanar512 posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the significance of this, if any?
He/they realized they had a little value, but not enough to really matter. Later, when Burrell tells the mayor what’s going on, he hands over the stack and says as much.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Jewmanji posted:

Peanut is in it too, keep an eye out
Look man, if you want guns, I can get you guns.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Good old Spider. Also the same sage that explained sideways hats to Herc.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Frank knew what was up. He also handled it poorly in retrospect.

But he at least tried to help other people. Ziggy deserves very little sympathy.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Jerusalem posted:

Also, to repeat one of my frequent criticisms of Carcetti.... at that point what does he care about grooming a competent young black successor to the role?
Because he realizes he can’t throw away a hundred thousand votes in his next election. Baltimore residents vote in state elections, too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
He kept saying things about “your link to New York” and such, so I always assumed that he had some serious connections. Meaning those connections were scarier than Mouzon.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bird in a Blender posted:

The newspaper story only really sucks because Templeton not only gets away with lying, he gets rewarded for it.
And it takes a lot of screen time and it’s mostly boring.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The funniest part of The Wire is when Poot is the man for an hour.
Bunk: Particular?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Reading the article, I’m not sure what she did wrong. Unless she expected her (ex?) husband to pay her back the $5000 she wired him, which was never mentioned.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Probably not, since he was in the show.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Colvin’s dude with the giant mustache is the real cop that Jay Landsman is based on.
You probably know this, but to be clear, the actor who played Colvin's lieutenant is Jay Landsman. As in, that is his name.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think season 4 is very good, but for whatever reason I have no desire to rewatch it. I get an episode or two in, and lose interest.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

roomtone posted:

son of a bitch, he made the right call
By not holding Nokia until 2017.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
He would have doubled his money if he held them until 2006-2007 and then sold.

He just flat out failed, like he did with everything else.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 26, 2024

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Omar stole a lot of drugs. Lots.

Being in his kind of work, the logistics of getting it all sold and turned into cash would be difficult, to say the least.

Taking 20% of its price to not have the hassle, and get rid of it all at once, is a reasonable solution.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

surf rock posted:

Yes, I understand that. I don't understand how Omar simultaneously divided up the shipment between the crew and is also selling the shipment back to Prop Joe.
It’s been a while since I watched it, but I assumed Prop Joe knew it was only most of the shipment he was buying.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Soooooooooy
Un stevedore
I'm a smuggler baby
But please don’t kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Konstantin posted:

I don't know, Stringer's main mistakes were angering Brother Muzone and getting scammed by Clay Davis. Both of them were due to him having too big an ego, a slightly more humble Stringer wouldn't have made either mistake. His main idea of sacrificing street rep for money was working.
Having Omar's boyfriend killed how he did was a huge mistake. Doubly so because of “where's Wallace?”

Rep for money worked until it didn’t. He got kicked out as the head of the co-op.

FlamingLiberal posted:

My favorite thing is Stringer constantly trying to explain macroeconomics 101 stuff to his dealers and them just extremely confused
Parroting what he heard in class that day, mostly.