Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Konstantin posted:

The interesting thing about Snoop is the fact that The Game is extremely male dominated, so she has to be even more brutal to overcome that prejudice. I can't be the only one who thought she was a teenage boy whose voice hadn't changed when she first appeared. Brings up an interesting question, why are criminal organizations in general so patriarchal?

General conception. It's not like the hood is on the fore-front of social justice and an understanding of gender roles.

EDIT: I'd also argue that frankly it's no different from the police either. Kima is the only female we see in the police, and Pearlman is the only woman in the law side of things. Part of why Kima shines is the comparison to her male counterparts, and the perception in the department of women.

I'm rewatching Season 4 and Prez is about to put the call into Daniels about Randy. It just makes me so sad to see Carver get wrapped up in it, try to do the right thing, and ultimately feel the failure harder than anyone else aside from Randy. I really appreciate how Season 4 didn't pull any emotional punches. The bond between Prez and his kids feels genuine, and Carver's concern for Randy feel genuine. It makes it that much harder.

Also, I think there's been a lack of discussion on the comparison between the kids in season 4 and the adults. We're sympathetic to a lot of these characters because of how they're written, but the difference is that we see the kids become who they will be. We consider Avon, Stringer, et al as terrible people. Heck, Marlo we consider to be the most ruthless person in the show but how did he get there? What happened? I think there's a sympathy that's allowed for even the "bad" guys due to the system failing them.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

And Beadie wasn't city police. She took the job because it was relatively easy and she could make sure her family was taken care of. They comment on how she's completely green when she starts the investigation but at the end, she's real police. Also, I feel like a lot of the behaviors geared towards Beadie early on, specifically from the State Police, feels like there's an element of talking down to her.

Again, we don't see many women characters but I'd say they're all fairly strong, aside from Donette. And my comment was specifically geared to make the comparison between the patriarchy in both sides of the game.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

the culminator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5za4VsskM

this scene really encapsulates recent events.

"Pretty soon, drat near everybody on every corner is your fuckin enemy"

Everyone goes nuts for Bubbles but I think Bunny Colvin is the series most sympathetic character by FAR. Because he's the only person in power trying to make a difference, make it work. I'd be very interested to sit in on police meetings and see how far they are from what we see in The Wire. I hope one day policing will involve understanding the people they are arresting and trying to better the community. Maybe they're a junkie who should just get their ride home, gently caress a humble. But here we are....

EDIT: SUPERCUT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70eU840lc38

SHEEEEEEEEIT

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 14, 2014

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Something else about Colvin is that he was acting from a percieved position of being untouchable. Sure he knew that if (when!) everything fell apart or got exposed, he'd be in the spotlight, but he thought he could (bravely?) take all the blame on his own shoulders, and he only seemed willing to do that because he thought his pension was guaranteed at a Major's rank. He jokes about it all the time,"What are they going to do? It's not like they can take away my pension!" but I did get the feeling that is why he was doing it, because he thought he had nothing to lose and if worse came to worse he'd be fine from a financial point of view.

He only really reacts passionately when they tell him they'll be downgrading his pension, and of course then he loses the John Hopkins job he thought he had squared away as an ace in the hole retirement plan. I'm not saying he was a selfish person, but he took some pretty big risks with the (false) knowledge that he himself was going to come out of everything okay anyway - in that sense he was very naive, which is probably also why he thought something like Hamsterdam could work in the first place.

Good points all around. I'm just sympathetic to the idea of Hamsterdam, and after the Deacon gets involved, there's a lot of social services going down. But you're right when I think about it, Colvin was definitely cocky about how insulated he was. Hamsterdam's conception though, that implies sympathy. Why put the corner boys in the system? All it is is stats, and you may feel that de-legitimizes his idea but we see how stats affect the policing in the series. Why put more young boys in the system? What good does it do aside from boost your stats? That's still my favorite thing about Season 4 Carver, he gets it. He understands the impact of policing properly and he sees how it works when he applies it.

Also, just finished my summer rewatch and Bodie's death will never not loving hurt.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I wish the inevitable Blu-Rays had both versions in HD. I enjoy that Wire Classic look but look forward to the widescreen just to see what it looks like

NOTinuyasha posted:

I can see how someone with a widescreen, used to watching widescreen, would be annoyed by the old format. Even Simon acknowledges it. And on top of that you're both posting like idiots. Just shut up and deal with it.

I don't think it's any different asking why someone picked up a full screen copy of a movie instead of widescreen in the 2000s. One is the way it's meant to be, the other isn't. It's not like Simon had been fighting FOR this for years, it's something that HBO wanted to do and Simon was able to have a hand in it. It's like Star Wars vs Ghostbusters. The original trilogy had extra crap altered that wasn't in the original versions, we all agree they suck and just wish for an updated master of the originals. Ghostbusters was recently released on new Blu-Rays with a great new master, are the effects older? Yeah, but they hold up and don't affect the original vision or story.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 30, 2014

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I was at my parents for NYE. Threw on the first episode to check the transfer. They really did a great job. I did laugh at how the credits clearly show where the 4:3 ended. All in all, looking forward to an Apple TV and the Wire HDD in a few weeks

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Ah, I see. Where is it mentioned that Chris has a family? I sounds right to me, but I can't remember when or how it's brought up in the show.

When they go to war with Omar, they have him stop by before-hand. Also, he mentions that he has to go underground so Omar won't get to his people. Marlo explicitly uses the term "your people" at one point. It's season 5 after killing Butchie, I think.

e:f;b

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Cartouche posted:

Just finished S4.
RIP in peace Bodie. :(

The worst death in the whole series

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Kevyn posted:

"Yo, tickle my nuts!"

That smirk he gives at the chalkboard before turning around and being a teacher is the best.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

TVIV has made me realize people can be bad at watching TV.

Honestly, I stopped coming to TVIV in the last year or two for live shows because TVIV viewers miss the most obvious poo poo or come up with some dumb dumb theories. This was one of my favorite threads due to its analysis of the show by people who had watched it a dozen times and could still find something new. Like Chicken/Beef from the first episode or whatever, had me hooked.

It's also why I think the Sopranos thread failed. Because it tried to make it a live thread w no spoilers, etc. Why would I participate when I'm kneecapped about what I want to talk about, ya know?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

algebra testes posted:

I'm not saying you aren't right, but on the other hand the original Wire thread was spoiler free because nobody had watched the show and people got into it and starting watching it.

Sorry, I should be clearer. The Sopranos rewatch thread. I could be off but I didn't think this thread had those rules. It allowed a lot more discussion and I think that's what got people into the thread.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The complete series on Blu-Ray is $49.99 at BestBuy.com.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I lost count on my rewatches a few years ago. Since 08, I think it’s safe to say I’ve watched The Wire close to 10 Times since then. My last rewatch was with my parents back in 2016, their first time and my first time in HD. I just started my rewatch on New Year’s Eve weekend with the BluRay set I mentioned in my last post. By the way, they look gorgeous. Better picture than HBO Go on Apple TV, at least. I watched the first episode of season 3 last night. And I started a 2nd rewatch w my friend tonight because she’s never seen it.

I just noticed and realized a few things in the first episode (can it be called a pilot? I can’t imagine they made the one to sell it.) that I’ve never noticed and wasn’t sure if they came up. When did we finish the thread rewatch? 2014?

1: I noticed Herc seems to have way more hair.

2: Dee gets off from the bus for his first day back in the game. A small detail with a ton of implications in regards to his income and status.

3: I’m pretty sure I hear the noise from the end of the opening credits, not the chirps but the kind of tone that’s in the last few seconds (reminds me of a water draining out of a bathtub or sink), in the scene where Fitzhugh is showing McNulty the live feed from the dope house.

4: the big one! Based on stuff that comes up w McNulty and his wife and Pearlman... does he dive into the case shortly after he’s out of the house and the divorce starts to roll? Like... him following the Barksdale crew, does that start to happen because he gets beat and then obsesses over them to fill his void?

5: The Pit crew says Johnny burned them for 30... but how much were they buying? Was it supposed to be $40 w 3 fake $10s? Johnny never got the second round of drugs. I thought it looked like three 10s using 2 fake ones. So ultimately, he burned them for $20, and gave them $10 that he had. So he got hosed up over $10? It’s super hosed up no matter what, but drat... $10. But again.. Dee is using a bus pass and he’s management...what scraps are these kids surviving on?

I skimmed the first episode write-up and didn’t see any of this stuff. Wanted to see what people thought or if anyone noticed some of this stuff.

Also, in season 3 episode 2, Herc just mentioned “looks like the Terrace has spread out.” A little terrace/terrorist word play if you read between the lines?

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 11, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Oh definitely. Didn’t mean to draw the line of “the divorce pushed McNulty into it” so much as “McNulty’s divorce is a possible direct cause for the downfall of the Barksdale empire.” Like, if Elaina has held off for a few months... would the Barksdale crew have skated by until some major event like high-profile murder, etc? Could Stringer have made it legit if McNulty didn’t have so much free time and anger to point somewhere that one particular summer?

Watching these first four seasons always reinforces how disappointed/dissatisfied I am with season 5. Like, yeah there are fantastical elements like Omar but a lot of it is a very honest, not overly dramatized portrayal of these walks of life, these people, and the systems that are around. And then 5 turns into “Crazy Jimmy and Lester making up a serial killer,” the newspaper storyline is a bit thin but I thought they did an OK job of portraying the pitfalls and consequences of the newspaper industry. Simultaneously the Sun isn’t important enough to be called for perp walks, but a mis-reported story, a made up quote, and it changes the future of the individuals involved but the city as well. I appreciate that they leaned into the issues of mergers, prizes, diminished prestige and importance because the way those influence public discourse is not usually what comes up in portrayals of newspapers. It’s always about the intrepid reporter or reporters fighting for the big story. Not “hey we can’t get photos” and “we can only focus on one thing and we’re gonna do it, it’s because it’s right but because it could get us a Pulitzer.”

Sorry, just had a lot of Wire on the mind the past couple weeks. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Picked up Homicide. I haven’t finished a book in awhile due to ADHD and whatnot, so I’m excited to start this and put it down.

For all the non-subtitled foreign speech, I’m surprised there’s been no fan project to translate what’s being said to get an idea of what’s being discussed in front of people. Not just the Greek and crew, but Baba Jani and his co-worker.

EDIT: 4th season always bums me out on a rewatch. Just knowing where everyone lands, such a downer.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 23, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

We’ll never find out who Norman voted for :(

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

So I was just hopping around Wikipedia while on my rewatch of The Wire. Ed Norris has “the headshot” done to him during a corruption investigation. I really need to listen to the commentaries because I’m sure how that came into Simon’s stratosphere.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

1. Now is a KILLER time for a rewatch.

2. Wrapping up “Slapstick” as I type this. Not to be that guy, but I think I’m pretty locked in that the order of 4,2,1,3,5 is pretty definitive in my head. There are elements of that first season that are a bit more engaging than 3.

3. In “Homecoming,” Marla and Cedric Daniels are at an AIDS fundraiser gala thing. It got me thinking about the juxtaposition of that, vs the social organizations coming in and doing the actual work in Hamsterdam.

4. Ziggy is in IT: Chapter 2. I had watched it twice and couldn’t peg why he was so familiar, but avoided deferring to IMDB at the time. He’s actually had an impressive career post-Wire, great for him.

5. Still need to watch Simon’s new one and The Deuce. But The Wire is just a siren song.

Also, I’ve mentioned it before but season 5 (in 2007/8) brings up fentanyl. Almost 100% sure of that. Just one of those tiny mentions that just portends something greater.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Just made a connection that didn’t come up in Jerusalem’s S3, E12 recap.

As Rawls is dragging out the poo poo talk to Bunny during the final COMSTAT, Colvin barks back “Get on with it, motherfucker.” That was noted in the recap, however, it’s the same last words as Stringer Bell. I mean, we already knew but that really puts the cap on the “firing squad” image that COMSTAT provides throughout the season.

There’s a non-zero chance I made that connection in previous rewatches but I love I can catch new stuff 12+ years after seeing that season for the first time.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I really love when Prez winces when Namond yells at him to beat him with his police stick.

It just shows such growth from that dickhead in the first season.

Fake Edit: “the dinks” is such a good intro. I love that they portray the subtle things the kids pick up just so they can get through a day.

Real edit: Dukie showing Prez how to cheat on the computer game, mirrors the dinks at the beginning of the episode.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 18, 2020

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Bernard’s story of finding his mom dead always hits so hard. It’s crazy how much they can affect you with one scene like that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Catching up on the last year’s posts. Showing my gal the show, finishing S2.

Some notes: a dock worker had a South Park shirt that has Kenny decapitated and “they killed” or so visible on the shirt. Maybe incidental, maybe intentional. But a nice note.

Also, just thinking about Spiros’ “My name is not my name” vs Marlo’s “My name is my name!” That disconnect from identity that allows Spiros to move around and evade the law. Not unlike an actual corporation that is multi-National and can pick up and leave whenever.

I’m sure we covered some of this stuff but that was soooooo long ago.

What a good loving show.

Oh and Bunk’s “I’m just a humble motherfucker with a big rear end dick” sometime in the first season I think. Woody Harrelson’s character uses that line at one point in the first season of True Detective. Real police, true detectives.

Again, lots of just little details or complements to those details. I love The Wire. I’ve watched it a dozen+ times probably. Easily at double digits though.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

“Love Rollercoaster” has been stuck in my head since the little snippet in S4E2, Soft Eyes, when Namond gets home to find the new clothes on his bed.

It just clicked that it’s literally describing Namond and his mom. Like, the chorus even plays during their talk. A little touch that has to be intentional.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

General Battuta posted:

I would be scared of Chris if I ran into him on the street and didn’t know a loving thing about him, the guy has a look about him. Whereas Weebey just seems larger than life.

Of course that fear at first sight goes tenfold for Marlo.

That’s one reason why I liked the scenes w/ Chris and his family, or about his family.

He’s clearly a loving dad and it’s an interesting insight. Snoop, cold. Marlo, cold. Chris, cold but has some softness to him. It’s like the scene w Rawls at the gay bar. Just a little taste of their life without it being a complete focus.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I softened on 5 this go around because I've taken Gus to be David's portrayal of himself through a Scott Templeton lens.

The too perfect quotes being an example. Like, there's something to the season if you consider the bad writing to be kind of meta.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

werdnam posted:

Well, maybe Beadie is alright. She's pretty level headed.

I’d be interested to know how David would change these characters in 2020, post-Blue Lives Matter. Would Beadie be a MAGA gal who rocks a Thin Grey Line bumper sticker? Etc etc.

It really is jarring to think of how much police culture has hardened and militarized since The Wire was made. A sub-plot could be jarheads coming into police the city post-Iraq, cops living outside of the city (although I think that gets a nod at some point).

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Been thinking about the S3 exchange between McNulty and d’Agostino where she offers cru de te, and McNulty goes “crudity??!” Ugh, painfully awkward.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Nooooooooo!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

That's too hosed about Michael K Williams. I knew he had some substance use issues at one time or another but I never knew heroin was part of it. Always thought it was coke and alcohol. God drat. He was really good in the stuff I saw him in. I was really impressed with his range, especially since he was an actor who could very easily have been typecast or one note performances.

The toxicology hasn’t come out, but a lot of people are speculating cocaine tainted w fent.