Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
It's been about four or five years.

How can I get my Brother Mouzone back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

algebra testes posted:

Pay the man the money

I know, but I mean, does any still have it or can they find it so I can do just that?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It's a fine line between heaven and here
Cool username. I've become obsessed with the Pogues/Popes recently.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
You ready to turn this thread into a bestselling book in the vain of Sepinwall's Soprano Sessions, Jerusalem?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I found it. Had to use the way way back machine.

zjentohlauedy, it was close, but not quite.

https://imgur.com/YTwk011

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Data Graham posted:

Just starting S4 right now, and I wanted to note my amusement at seeing that Bubs has a concession stand.

That is all

Anxious to hear the rest of your S4 thoughts!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Kevyn posted:

Got that pandemic, yo.

Glad I'm not the only one hearing this!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm going through a Wire re-watch. Season 4 Episode 11.

What's the significance of Albert's mom passing away? It's a strange scene and it's really the only scene we get with just Albert. There's no follow up to it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
That makes a lot of sense. Well-said.

Thanks. I loved analyzing this show. Anyone wanna do a coordinated re-watch during this loving quarantine?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
where the hell can one legally watch The Corner? Do I gotta buy a DVD?

I have Amazon Prime with HBO and it's not on there.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

God Hole posted:

excellent example of a pimp roll (or gangster glide) in this clip. i know it's been said a million times but the attention to detail on this show is pretty incredible.

i spent a fair amount of time studying gangs in college, and the only piece of media other than the wire that has ever really impressed me with both the accuracy in depicting how gangs operate and its seamless presentation in the story was the movie Green Room my favorite example is when imogen poots is looking through the door vent, notices a bunch of boots with red laces, and then panics and announces to the group they're about to be murdered (in traditional skinhead groups, you only earn red laces on your boots when you're a soldier who has drawn some blood. the attack force)

can you tell us what a pimp roll / gangster glide is?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ruddiger posted:

After seeing that pic of McNulty’s actor mustachioed up, I think he would’ve done a way better job playing Franco’s role in The Deuce.

Franco really was the weakest link in a great cast. He played not just one, but two characters I could not give a poo poo less about. Maggie Gyllenhaal was incredible though, my favorite role she's ever done.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I've seen that moment debated to death, and I have to believe it really was just a filming flub.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Marlo is the embodiment of ruthless, cutthroat capitalism. I wish I could say that I gleaned this information from watching the show, but it's what Simon said in interviews. He's only interested in one goal, and he has no problem eliminating people who get in his way, even when he kinda likes them (Joe, Michael). (He doesn't eliminate Michael but he tells Chris to do it, even though he doesn't think Michael snitched. Can't take any chances.) His loyalty is only to the end result, money and power.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Yeah, I just googled and it looks like I misremembered. The Greek is pure capitalism. Marlo, perhaps the pursuit of raw power.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
https://www.theguardian.com/media/organgrinder/2008/dec/01/the-wire-marlo-stanfield

David Simon posted:

Many see Marlo as the most "evil" being on The Wire. He lacks the humour and profane wisdom of the more popular B'more denizens, but I believe he is key to understanding the show's themes. He is, in effect, the ultimate bureaucrat, one who plays the system without empathy or fear.

His sole aim is the increase of bureaucratic power – both his own power within the bureaucracy, and the power of the bureaucracy itself. Although he is certainly a person without a moral backbone, it is not really a question of good and evil at all, but of efficient success. Marlo's methods are the same approach taken by (say) Rawls; the only difference is the bureaucracy is the drug distribution system, so the brutality is more overt. The system itself is the evil, Marlo is just another player, albeit more successful than most.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I recently found out that Snoop did a topless scene in a 2015 movie. Enjoy.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 18, 2020

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
He had enough clout that he got Avon to kill Stringer, by threatening to sever his business connections with New York.

*ahem*

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Steve Earle's son died of an overdose recently, at the age of 38.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

bucketybuck posted:

It was shown more than once in season one that attacking any cop gets a violent reaction. Quite apart from Weebays famous reaction to hearing she was a cop, Kima herself showed this with her beatdown of Bodie after he punched the useless drunk cop, Pogue or Mahone or whoever it was.

"Pogue Mahone" is a phonetic approximation of the Irish phrase for kiss my rear end, so this made me laugh

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Happy Thread posted:

For that same reason I think Omar always had an advantage over Marlo. People would reach out to him if there was danger because he had that trusted Robin hood reputation, which isn't nearly as good as having a formal police dispatch answering phones, but it's still something. Meanwhile Marlo attacked the public and sought only to be feared by them; he didn't bother treating the public any differently than a rival gang or an extraneous underling.

like when Marlo gave away money to all the kids?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Konstantin posted:

I remember there was a deleted scene in Season 5 where it's implied Steintorf gives Rawls a blowjob in order to make sure he stays quiet about the serial killer being a hoax. I think the scene should have been deleted, but it does show the writers clearly saw Rawls's orientation as an important part of his character.

I have never heard of anything like this and it sounds too preposterous too be true. Source?

Athanatos posted:

I absolutely love that scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaA0nmn8_fk

Cutty being honest with Avon and himself.

Slim Charles nervous look back and forth, unsure what is about to happen.

The look of absolute shock when Avon just says "Alright, we good"

Avon's leadership, Slim's loyalty and Cutty's bravery.

"B, he was a man in his time, you know?"
"He a man TODAY. He a man."

escape artist fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 15, 2020

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

what the gently caress?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

dreffen posted:

Not really explicitly explained but something to discourage Cheese's dog from biting.

Pheromones' or something was always my guess.

I just thought it was an oil to make the dog slicker, so that Cheese's dog couldn't get a good grip / bite. Thinking about it again, just anything that had a really bad odor / taste might work to repel biting.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Late but... rest in peace Michael K. Williams.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm starting We Own This City and I kind of love it so far, after one episode. I hope it sticks the landing.

So far I've seen:
Detective Santangelo, Jay Landsman, O-Dog, Marlo, Eileen Nathan, the cop from season 5 who was a dick (Bobby Brown?),

and that's only through one and a third episode. Be cool to see how many show up.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 25, 2022

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MrMojok posted:

I'd say that's a perfect description of s2. Some of these stevedores are old enough to remember a time when they were kids, their dads worked on the docks, and at the time it was enough so that their families could live in a decent place, and he'd get a pension to retire on.

Now though, those places their parents used to live are boarded-up rowhouses, guys are lucky to get a couple of shifts per week, and the city refuses to dredge the harbor to allow larger ships to come in. Things are getting worse for everyone every day. Like Simon said in the interview someone quoted, the death of work. Also the death of the America of the past.

Not to mention the Waterfront Condos that are going to replace a huge part of the ports...

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Kazzah posted:

I'm not even Greek

:lol: Nice

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Jerusalem should be hosting that pod.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

:hai:

Season 4's version of the theme really is the best, it's so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPKyqAAd4jc

Worst version of the theme, best season of the show

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Does the chair know we gonna look like some punk rear end bitches?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Chas McGill posted:

The method man podcast is kinda interesting. Fairly surface level in so far but it was interesting to hear about on-set stuff from Wee bey.

As a Scot I was always curious about his name since he isn't that wee, but it's entirely possible there's a Big Bey somewhere in the universe.
Remember Little Kevin?

If Chas McGill knew how to flip it even just a little, my poo poo'd be in handcuffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4QgNwaxjZc

escape artist fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 10, 2022

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
he was also amazing on Oz and The Corner and everything else I saw him. :(

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BiggerBoat posted:

Reddick's range was incredible. If you watched The Wire and also The Corner, the two characters couldn't be more different (police captain v. paroled crack addict) but Lance's approach loving nails both of them. Jamie Hector is like this too. His performance in WOTC is so far removed from Marlo Stanfield it's hard to believe it's the same actor.

And since I mentioned The Corner, everyone should watch it.

It's up on YT for free (in low quality), or at least it was a year ago. It's really loving wild how Simon basically takes all the same performers and then totally reassigns all of their roles. It's like he threw all the actors' names and characters into a fishbowl and then gave everyone a random person to play but every single one does a great job and comes off so different.
Is there anywhere to see it in decent quality? Can't believe it's not on HBO Max. Might have to get a loving DVD.

I was deep in my own pain pill addiction so when I watched it, I was legitimately high and didn't absorb much of it

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I just started watching this on a lark after hearing Lance Reddick died, and sweet gently caress, I really missed out on some unspeakably good TV, didn't I? I'm dodging spoilers so I ain't really gonna Post Through It, but goddamn. Had me hooked in the first two minutes.

i can't jump out with my unit because my tummy hurts

This whole thread is full of untagged spoilers. We are so excited to have you but please be careful. I'd avoid the whole thread until you finished, cuz it's the best TV show ever.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

escape artist was actually planning a Deadwood rewatch thread at some point, which I was quite keen on seeing/taking part in. Not sure if that idea has been abandoned or just put on the backburner.

As for livethreads (archives needed):

Season 1
Season 1 (Rerun thread)
Season 2
Season 3
Television Movie

Not abandoned, just on the backburner. I have had essentially no time between work and my dad's illness. If someone wants to take the reins (get it, cuz there are horses in Deadwood) then by all means, do so.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Harper's is a great magazine fwiw

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Tony Phillips posted:

Yeah, cool. Thanks, God. You totally made sure the right guy in that sketch gets to live to old age.

:lol:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Xiahou Dun posted:

3 is very good. 2 is actually pretty good in places but it came after season 1 so it’s not allowed to just be a B- for a lot of people.

I did think that the resolution of 3 was so goddamn dull though. Mahershala Ali was loving incredible though.

Dexter, was always a B tier show to me. Showtime was a B tier network to me [TP:TR not withstanding]. Weeds was decent for a couple seasons but never brilliant. Dexter was a step up over Weeds. Having just watched Six Feet Under before Dexter originally aired, I was 100% behind whatever the hell Michael C. Hall was doing.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 28, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

GoutPatrol posted:

Dexter would have been fine if they just ended after 2. I know everyone likes the Lithgow season but...eh.
I thought the Lithgow season was brilliant. Season 2 was boring as hell because we all knew Dexter was gonna get away with it and Lila was an awful villain. Plus the way they wrote Doakes off was lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

withak posted:

I think the guy everyone was beating on was the guy who shoved Pogue or Mahone into disability.

Are the cops names really Pogue and Mahone? :lol:

"Pogue mahone" is the phonetic spelling of the Irish phrase póg mo thóin, which means "kiss my rear end"