Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Season two is a great rewatch because of the character of Ziggy. Like a lot of people, on that first watch you don't have a lot of sympathy for him. He's obnoxious, he's shown to be incompetent, insensitive, and unapologetic. A lot of people dislike Ziggy on their first go-around, and then the Glekas scene kind of comes out of nowhere. The first reaction is, of course, "there goes Zig doing another dumbass thing, what a stupid loving kid."

Except then on the rewatch you know where Ziggy ends up, so you watch him with that in mind and all the pieces start to come together. He doesn't get respect from anybody, his father is more interested in his Union than his son, his mother is missing in action. His cousin is the only person he has a real relationship with, and even then we see Nick (rightfully) distance himself from Ziggy when he starts getting into more serious business. He's treated like a joke at home, at the dock, and on the streets. When he gets accosted by Cheese's gang and they take his car, he angrily tells Nick that if he had a gun he would have killed all of them.

So it's sadly all set up in a way that's much more obvious in retrospect - which is really the point of the character when you think about it. Nobody in the show saw this coming, I mean sure he was generally regarded as a fuckup obnoxious kid, but a cold-blooded murderer? Nobody realized exactly what he was going through or thinking, what he was dealing with, and what he was capable of. Which is a lot like how we, the audience, treat him that first time around. We're guilty of the same thing that the people around Ziggy in the show are guilty of. "Oh that Ziggy, he's such an annoying character I really can't stand this k-...oh. Oh poo poo."

When Nick tells Frank what's happened and Frank and Nick both trade "Where were you?"s, they might as well be asking us, the audience, where we were too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

Dead Snoopy posted:

I would kill to get an instrumental version of the music they used in the Season 2 trailer and the weekly sneak previews. It always got me so loving pumped for the show.

http://youtu.be/Hv3jf9DHFzk

:lol: Drunk Bunk saying "Where Is The Motherfuckin Love" is played so menacingly in the trailer. Reminds me of the old Sopranos promos where they'd show Tony getting furious at something and you'd think poo poo was going down in the next episode, only to find out that he's just trying to open a jar of pickles or something.