Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Jimmy crashing his car is the funniest scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I need budget lines.

To evacuate a person is to give them an enema.

Their lingo and dialogue is kind of cool even if the characters aren't.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cage posted:

I skipped through a lot of Carcetti stuff about midway through when he showed up. I kept waiting for something interesting but nope its all boring.

I love the scene of Norman dying laughing at the serial killer being fake but that's about it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

NOTinuyasha posted:

Don't skip scenes. Carcetti eventually becomes interesting, and his story is critical to the overall narrative. He's one of the hardest characters to break down and fully understand - but he's a politician, that's how they do.

Oh I thought he just meant in season 5, definitely pay attention to Carcetti overall.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Smudgie Buggler posted:

What? This is Chris's motivation for defending and sympathising with Michael? I thought it was very clear that Chris is himself a victim of child abuse of some kind, if not outright rape.

I think those were separate points both demonstrating Chris's humanity. That poster left the abuse victim part implied and went on to another example.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Ah, I see. Where is it mentioned that Chris has a family? I sounds right to me, but I can't remember when or how it's brought up in the show.

I forget if he hides them or just tells them he's gonna be away for awhile, but it's after they kill butchie and he's worried about omar coming back on him.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It also seemed weird to me that the team made a big deal about learning that pager code 07 was Wee-bay, since Omar knew that and could have told them.

This was awesome and if I hadn't read your post I might not have figured out it wasn't real. What is that blog?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 27, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

grading essays nude posted:

He gets it from Joe actually, when he's giving Joe some of Avon's drugs in exchange for helping set up the hit on Avon.

Every time I see that episode I'm not sure whether they modified the Joe character a bit in between season 1 and 2. I mean yeah, keeping his ringer on the bench so he can up the bet with Avon at halftime is classic Joe but being so ruthlessly opportunistic in agreeing to Avon's murder - just for a chance at taking the West Side - doesn't really seem like the same character we see later. It's one of my favorite episodes in season 1 regardless just because of Avon insulting him for dressing like "Pat loving Riley".

"You walking around with a fake loving clipboard! You can't even read a playbook!"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nobnob posted:

So, in the rewatch a question came up for me: In season three, shortly before the primarys, state delegate Watkins breaks up with Royce for several reasons. One of these where some flyer which made Watkins raging around. What exactly was his problem about that flyer? I never got that scene, although it might be drat obvious.
It's in season 4 episode 4 around 32 minutes.

It had Eunetta Perkins on it as on his ticket instead of Marla Daniels, who Royce had promised Watkins he'd back. He put whichever candidate was polling higher in a given district on his fliers for that district, instead of supporting the candidate he promised he would.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nobnob posted:

Oh I see, I wasn't aware Watkins would be supporting Lady Daniels there for whatever reason. Her career is kind of shady around that for me.

There's a bunch of things that show that. He asks Royce earlier to drop Eunetta and he says no. He has Daniels help Cutty with the permits for his gym, and they are together there. (He complains about Eunetta there was well, something like "Do you know Miss Perkins? No? Few do these days" as if Cutty would have any shot of knowing his councilperson.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nobnob posted:

drat right, I remember this. I wonder how I couldn't realize this small connection line between politicians and semi-criminals like Cutty. Looks like it's time to re-rewatch the third season.

It's okay, I've watched this show like 5 times at this point, there's a lot there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

If you want to make connections to the Dominicans, it's more likely that it's Avon's supply who stops selling to him after he is convicted and they start having legal problems. That's what resulted in them selling the more expensive crappy stuff from Atlanta and nearly losing the towers.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hard Clumping posted:

He was in Chronicle. He's also going to be the Human Torch in the new Fancy Four movie. What a world

oh poo poo I never knew that was him, awesome

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah he says something like "you can't get hurt if you ain't working"

e;fb as myself and other goons pile on to show off our wire quote knowledge

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know you guys.... I feel like I can't trust you and I need to rewatch the entire series start to finish all over again just to be sure.

this makes a lot of sense and you kind of owe it to yourself and your (future) children to exercise due diligence on this matter

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Landsman is politically savvy enough that I'm surprised he didn't make Lieutenant. Presumably it's because his character fit his role so perfectly that it'd be a shame to write him out of it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A good poster posted:

Do you think Mahon's brother-in-law's video store went out of business before or after the end of the series?

actually in season 5 there's a brief scene with him in it protesting netflix

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Rawls: You're not actually killing them yourself, are you Jimmy? Tell me that much at least.

I like that he still lied about the guy they kidnapped and said it was his cousin or something.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

forever whatever posted:

Yea but that was just to that shitbag journalist..."and that missing guy, he's my second cousin. We sent him up to Atlantic City with a roll of quarters."

Oh I got those mixed up, I thought it was to Rawls. That makes more sense.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah, there's nothing in the universe saying there must be a way to get to any arbitrary "Point B" - smashing 711s is unlikely to get you any closer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Do people take wire vacations to go see riggs and calhoun in person?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

forever whatever posted:

Isn't it Micheal? I think you see his face.

No, they specifically don't have Michael do it because he knows him and his first should be someone he doesn't know.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mira posted:

Wait, what? I thought it was Michael too from a previous scene where Marlo instructs Chris to put one of the younger soldiers up to it.

Here's the script(from google, can't vouch for accuracy but it's how I remember it):

quote:

Marlo: They jacking you up, pulling all your work out of them houses, right? Man, we can't have nobody snitching on us now.
Chris: We ain't sure it's that.
Marlo: What, you want to let it go? Risk it? Send a message. Maybe give it to your pup, get him started. You and Snoop, y'all lay low till this poo poo here blow down.
Chris: Boy worked for Bodie. First time, must be someone he didn't know.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I've watched this show a million times, but one thing that seems weird is, why are they doing controlled buys on drug dealers at the start of season 2? They don't have any explicit drug connections with anyone, are they shooting in the dark hoping to find a port connection? They act like it's a sure thing as soon as the detail is set up, obviously they are gonna go bust drug dealers in the southeastern, because....??? It doesn't really help that it is genuinely fruitful by the end of the season, that's not a good enough retroactive justification in my head, it still seems way too unlikely. It's a complete coincidence and I don't get the motivation in the first place.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

YF-23 posted:

If there's smuggling going on at the docks it's probably fair to assume at least part of it's related to the drug trade.

Yeah but is that really enough to go on? They should have been ready if they did get leads there, but random drug deals that happen to be in the area? That's a huge stretch. It's not like they bought from random west side dealers until they stumbled upon avon/marlo/etc, they went after specific targets. It just seems too loose. I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure Herc is talking about drug buys before they even go talk to Frank.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I guess in my head there are 10 other versions of season 2 where half their team is doing buy-busts on street-level dealers and it gets them nowhere, and daniels should see those odds plainly as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Was there anything indicating it was Marlo he was talking about?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

As far as writing goes I think True Detective is on its level, and that's about it of the shows I've seen.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

brylcreem posted:

I'm watching episode 4 of season 1 again.

Lester got a pager number off the wall of the stash house, and uses it to page D. And D calls back to Lester's cell phone.

But... since they're using that code thing, how come the call goes through? If D uses the code on a regular number, it's just random.

MAH IMMERSION!

Does it actually show the call go through? I don't remember, I know he sees D use the phone.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

freebooter posted:

I can't stand this scene. It's one of the rare moments (like the chess scene) where they really overreach and it becomes ham fisted. They're trying to point out how he's using his street smarts and observation to adjust his stock portfolio, which is a thing his lackeys would never even think to possess.

It's not a dumb business decision because it came before a boom (the writers could hardly have known that), it's a bad decision (and bad writing) because no competent businessman would ever buy or sell stocks based on the lone observation of what a single ghetto kid was doing with his phones. And no, I didn't get the impression that we were supposed to think he was making a bad decision.

Yeah I agree - I like the chess scene and still don't think this one works. They really went overboard with the "Stringer is learning economics/business" thing - as if he's going to learn about running a modern business from reading that copy of "The Wealth of Nations" in his apartment. It felt like telling, not showing. It was much better when they actually showed him applying something he learned successfully, like changing the name of his product and having different crews pretend to compete.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

Isn't this the exact point? Stringer is not a businessman, and in no way a competent one. He just plays one with the Barksdale money and acts as what he believes businessman are doing, and since he doesn't take advice from Levy, he is more or less swindled by every convincing white collar crook he runs into.
I think that's overfitting - I think the scene was written just to show the viewer that he is studying and learning about business and doing things like trading stocks with a broker. I doubt that it was written as a "bad" decision on purpose. I could be wrong but that's my impression.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

And the guy who plays the deacon is an ex-drug kingpin.

The inspiration for Avon even. In season 15 of the wire, Avon is released and becomes an actor in a critically acclaimed HBO tv series.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I still laugh pretty hard when McNulty says "*seek* and you shall find" in a weirdly emphasized way to the guy who's clearly a Sikh.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Oh poo poo! That's Randy's foster mum!

no way

e: yes way

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I presume Royce no longer receives drug money, does that count? :D

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Same, I read it as him literally not remembering his childhood too. I suppose that's a bit of a heavy-handed, high-drama approach, but it's not like the show's never done that before.
Yeah basically this was how I saw it, but I like both interpretations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

He always seems to get cast as an evil or at least corrupt bossman type (or, in Mystic River, a brutal pedophile). Rodrigo Borgia makes sense. I want to see him be a nice guy for once!
Pre-wire, in star trek deep space 9 he played a general tasked with stopping a small scale rebellion. He was unwilling to fight and kill his own people and ended up siding with the rebels due to their reasonable demands. In the end he helped end the conflict peacefully.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I can't say I recognized him at all.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Season 2 feels a lot better on rewatches since I won't be anticipating/hoping for more barksdale poo poo - it's great on it's own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cheese is the one who really gets to me - he has his moment with the "who's your dog" scene but man, no loyalty at all. Prop Joe is loyal to him over and over because he's family and the second they have a minor disagreement, he's nothing to him.