Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Cheese was great and seeing him get unceremoniously killed is still one of my favorite moments in the show.
Yeah he's a great character who inspires loathing - as an ironically detached goon I have no feelings and so me saying I hate a character is high praise for the writing/acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

theCalamity posted:

I know that some characters will say the same line, like Clay Davis and Namond saying that they'll take any motherfucker's money. I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Lester and Rawlings say the same thing about that one LTs beachhouse. They both ask him and then immediately interrupt him.
My favorite one is still "get on with it motherfu--" while both colvin and stringer are, uhh, executed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Troll Bridgington posted:

I completely missed that one.
I noticed it on like my third rewatch or something and was all :aaaaa:. (I'm insane and watch this show like, once a year.) That whole season is comparing and contrasting Colvin and Stringer and their respective organizations so it was a great conclusion to show what happens when an individual tries to bend the rules.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Wow I never realized Dante shot Tasha. Such a subtle little detail. Iirc Kimmy (is that her name? i forget) doesn't even realize that, nor Omar. In fact she almost certainly doesn't based on the way she goes Princess Vespa on the Barksdale soldier right after that.
I'm pretty sure she does realize that. She insinuates that she might tell the police what happened and glares at him. Omar breaks up the argument and says it's on him, that he killed her.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's exciting that it's now commonplace for television to focus on a long-running plot arc instead of just hinting at one. I think that means that it's possible for the wire to be surpassed, even if it hasn't yet.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Kevyn posted:

There was also the scene where the homicide detectives lied to Bodie about having his prints on one of the guns he threw off the bridge.

And Valchek lifting prints off the photos of the van he was being sent.
That is a pretty hilarious collection of not-useful ways to use fingerprints.

Did they get fingerprints off the can to match little man after he shot kima? Or was it saliva? I'm not sure if they said.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Wait......does Alan Sepinwall post here?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Just odd that not only did they not place emphasis on it, they had no apparent interest in prosecuting the crime- just the prostitution aspect. It doesn't matter what you're smuggling a person to do- the fact you're doing it is itself the crime. But it's funnier to have a prostitution sting. Thaaat's McNulty! :newlol:
Trying to prosecute the crime was like, the plot for much of the season. They talk about weirdness like how you can wiretap phones for drug trafficking, but not woman trafficking. Like, Valchek doesn't care, Burrell doesn't care, but daniels and lester and co clearly do.

I guess, until the case goes cold, most of the focus is on how they were murdered rather than either the prostitution or the trafficking, but that makes sense.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 9, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Does Shardene not count?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also Frank Sobotka and Cheese.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

They missed wee-bey with the hot sauce, 0/10

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think they mean the deuce.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah that’s more a walker or colichio thing. Mcnulty, for all his faults, wasn’t dishonest or corrupt to the detriment of the community, as far as I can remember (season 5 is um...a gray area, I guess)
*bunk hearing about copycat killer face*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mcnulty was well-intentioned at the very least, he believed he was acting in his community's interest, I don't think walker could hide behind even that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I feel like a different show could have done the serial killer plot fine. I could imagine a season of the shield where they do that for some reason, easily, but it was off-theme for the wire.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Making the news was the whole point and he was frustrated when it didn't at first. The look in the reporters eyes when he confirms his made up details was pretty great.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 8, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thought of that scene too. RIP :(
Indeed - I can't not grin every time I see him fake-hide his laughter.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah Oz had a ton of crossover. Burrell is a guy on death row's dad or something. The actors who played Bodie, Herc, Carv, Daniels, Rawls and Norman all have roles. There's more I'm forgetting but yeah.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

And don't forget the extra layer of he himself being gay so also basically finding out in very clear and personal terms how big of a poo poo his boss the commissioner is in that moment.

I don't think Burrell was gay - are you thinking of Rawls?

Extremely memorable scene either way though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Things don't quite come together into a coherent story in the deuce - it's more like a sampling of the characters' lives. I liked it a lot but it definitely was not as...focused as the wire, plotting wise.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

What would Ziggy have succeeded at if not the docks or selling drugs/boosting poo poo? I don't think he'd have been much better off at the community college.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yes, ma'am, this is Sydney Handjerker with Handjerker, Cohen & Bromburg.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

spog posted:

It felt a bit Scooby-Doo to me: Old Man McNulty pretends to be a ghost to scare the townspeople and would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those pesky kids
I'm imagining a scooby doo episode where they catch mcnulty in the first 3 minutes and he gets removed from his unit and sent to work on a boat where he gripes about bosses for the next ten minutes and eventually gives up his pension.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Stringer acknowledged being there and giving the order but said it was Mouzone who did the real nasty torture poo poo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

theCalamity posted:

Ellis in L4D2 although I’m sure Carver could’ve done a great job.
Yeah, no poo poo. I didn’t say he was.
What you were referring to was extremely non-obvious to anyone reading, even if someone did mention l4d earlier. There's no reason to get l4d from this context unless you are so familiar with the game that the name "Ellis" instantly reminds you of it even in a thread about an unrelated tv show with its own main character named Ellis. That's why there was confusion here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

*someone* had to get arrested for hamsterdam

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ziggy's mom was right... He should have gone to the community college. He would have made an excellent unicycle guy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Season 5 may well be the 5th best season of television ever made, but there's a high bar.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

what is he still mad at bunk or something???

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

what is he still mad at bunk or something???
Oh I just learned that this wasn't a joke and the actor and the character have the same name... Cool.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Make a The Wire: The Rewatch: The Rewatch thread imo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

Just made a connection that didn’t come up in Jerusalem’s S3, E12 recap.

As Rawls is dragging out the poo poo talk to Bunny during the final COMSTAT, Colvin barks back “Get on with it, motherfucker.” That was noted in the recap, however, it’s the same last words as Stringer Bell. I mean, we already knew but that really puts the cap on the “firing squad” image that COMSTAT provides throughout the season.

There’s a non-zero chance I made that connection in previous rewatches but I love I can catch new stuff 12+ years after seeing that season for the first time.
They even both get cut off without finishing the line - Stringer by the shotgun and Colvin by Rawls with an "excuse me".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

knox posted:

I viewed that more as like creating soldiers for his burgeoning crew and business. Like how they specifically discuss Michael right away as having potential.

I'm pretty sure Omar is the only person to ever spot someone? I know he's selling drugs to a young mother so it's not the most courageous act, but within context of show obviously he shows the most empathy to the innocents and on other hand ruthlessness to his enemies.
Avon gives Cutty the money for his gym - I think it counts. It's not for influence or a show of power or anything either, he doesn't want it to be known.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah that guy's a character actor that shows up in a lot of stuff. I think I first remember him as Kristen Schaal's prisoner/husband in Flight of the Conchords
...lmao that he's the same guy. I saw him at a grocery store once. Dumbest celebrity sighting of all time. "Yeah he was uhh, the newspaper guy on the wire, the one they hated, but the big boss but the lower boss".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Prez is the best cop cus he kills a cop.
A certain stairmaster begs to differ.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Does Bosch get better as it goes on? I watched one season awhile ago and it was like, okay, but pretty formulaic. Maybe I'm just jaded now but yet another brooding detective who the bosses have it out for is like, not working for me by itself. I enjoyed seeing jamie hector and lance reddick but I dunno, I didn't quite get the pull of the show.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

McNulty and Daniels in the elevator is great.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure people will be happy to use spoiler tags if responding to you and trying to avoid revealing things you haven't seen, but there is a good chance people might inadvertently spoil you on something while posting in general about the show in other posts, so you are taking a risk by actively reading the thread while watching.

Regardless, please drop in with your impressions as you go along with the show, it's always great seeing people experiencing it for the first time.
Seconding this - there is a wonderful spoiler-free thread for first time viewers of the show "Babylon 5", where new viewers record their thoughts as they go through the series. It is great fun for long-time fans of the show to see new reactions to it - I would read the hell out your impressions of the episodes going forward.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

While we're pitching shows that you might have missed, I'll bang the drum for Patriot, which is still on Prime. It's a dryly comic deconstruction of James Bond that has surprising heart and interesting characters.
I watched this show basically because of this post and it was so strange. I really liked it but I can see why it only got two seasons. It was very up its own rear end in the second one especially, but drat if I'm not still thinking about it and humming the songs weeks later. A+ would watch again.

.......for seventeen minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think the second season just didn’t quite cohere as a unit, so it could feel a little meander-y and tacked-on.

But the short game is so loving strong in that show, who even gives a poo poo. Kurtwood Smith absentmindedly sniffing coke off his hand in an NA meeting. Mother of god.

Spram-jointed fern mounts! Triple buttressed ampule valves!
Flam-fastened pan traps at both maiden apexes of the jim-joist. Lmfao.

If you want weird extra content and haven't seen this, Leslie Claret has his own podcast that last released an episode in 2022:
https://www.lgclaret.com/podcast