Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Bird in a Blender posted:

While Jimmy was always a guy who would do whatever it takes to bring the case in, he didn't seem like a guy that would actually break the law in order to do it. I'm struggling to think of another time where McNulty intentionally went outside the law, and I can't think of anything. McNulty knows it's against the law, and Bunk makes that clear to him many times. I guess it's not super duper crazy, but still felt like a stretch. Adding Lester to the mix really stretched it beyond belief too. Seemed like the writers wanted a parallel to the journalism storyline maybe a little too much.

Hamsterdam wasn't illegal, it was just selective non-enforcement of drug laws. So it didn't seem as egregious as the serial killer thing, plus Hamsterdam at least had a point it was driving home.
He knew Omar was lying in court about Bird and taunted Stringer over it. "We're not on the street. We're in a court of law." Maybe that is not breaking the law himself but it's definitely not coloring inside the lines either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Eason the Fifth posted:

Lol is that when he assumes the local cop is racist and tries to play into it, but then it turns out he has a black wife?
Yeah and then really weirdly makes a joke like "Sikh and you shall find" to an obviously Sikh convenience store worker who looks uncomfortable. McNulty was really losing it on that trip.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

roomtone posted:

i don't really have a ranking but while i think 4 is the apex of the series in terms of - 'here is the city of baltimore and all it's machinations', there are other seasons which are more fun to watch because of their focus.

first time through, 4 is going to be a trip because it's just so vast and lands almost every plotline. on rewatches, you want to dive into specific zones of the story and 1,2 3 and even 5 are better for that. 4 just has all of it happening.
I do wish we got that "mayoral election miniseries" because season 4 really does cram everything in. I imagine without also covering the election it would have felt just as focused as the other seasons.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

escape artist posted:

BTW - I started doing a rewatch of Homicide. Anyone down to do that? the DVD was recently re-released, so those it's not on streaming services, it is finally available for purchase. There's also other ways to get it. I have HBO Max too so theoretically I could do those Deadwood writeups soon...
I would read along for this - I never watched Homicide but I've been intrigued since I started reading this thread however many years ago. I also really liked Show Me a Hero if we're pitching other David Simon shows and that is, like We Own This City, is a short miniseries.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

escape artist posted:

I'm watching an episode of Homicide and the guy who played Rupert Bond is playing a street criminal
I don't know if you ever watched Oz but it's like, a sea of Wire actors, both in bit parts and as regulars. It's very jarring. Looking forward to your Homicide write-ups!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I think it's the opposite. TV was mostly pretty bad in the early 2000s. HBO's shows from that era are notable because they were the exception - they treated tv viewers as intelligent and willing to pay attention when nothing else did. The average top show of the week on Netflix is more thought provoking than anything outside of HBO in 2002.

I'm struggling to think of shows that are even memorable from that era outside HBO. Sci-fi channel had decent stuff - I liked Farscape and Stargate well enough. I liked The Shield but I doubt it passes the test of time. Battlestar Galactica got bad quickly. Lost was fun while it happened but was pretty disappointing overall. I guess I liked Star Trek Enterprise but it's not in the same universe as The Wire.