Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Another characteristic of trains besides running one direction and being tough to stop is multiple cars, most of which aren't able to push on without some force pulling them along. Compare McNulty being the driving force (towards destruction, that interpretation is sound to me regardless of what Simon's said) with a number of somewhat hesitant accomplices not necessarily just along for the ride, but definitely part of McNulty's train and not their own.

This works best, or at least most literally, for the 5th season with his phony serial killer but McNulty is adept throughout the series at pulling other 'cars' behind him in his path of terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

I'm gonna catch up with this thread when I finish Oz, not too worried as I must have seen The Wire five times over by now, but this is my first time through Oz and as of season 4 approximately 99% of the cast was later cast in The Wire. That's one big coincidence I haven't seen addressed in any behind-the-scenes stuff; was someone a big Oz fan, does HBO dip from the same pool of actors a lot, or just a crazy amount of coincidences?

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

Skeesix posted:

One thing I love about the wire is how with very few exceptions, e.g. the montages wrapping up the seasons, there is no artificially inserted music. Everything is being listened to by someone in-scene.

The amazing sound design of The Wire goes even further than that - there's a wonderful essay in The Wire: Truth Be Told (a book ANYONE posting in this thread owes it to themselves to buy, as a side note) written by one of the sound designers that details their work making it up to snuff with the writing, acting, and cinematography.

The anecdote that really stuck with me was about the scenes in the dirty basement Daniels' unit gets stuck in in season 3 (maybe 2? A lot of the police-force stories blend together for me) and how different sound effects were chosen based on what type of shoes were walking by in the tiny little window in the background. Absolutely floored me when I went back to watch those scenes again, and now the sound design is something that sits in the back of my mind every time I watch the show.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

CeeJee posted:

The chess thing seemed to me to make clear the pawns cannot win the game. They can only die, make a little contribution or in a rare case get to the other side to become a more powerful piece but still not the king.

The counterpoint to this, of course, is Marlo - but he seems more like checkers on a chessboard, jumping across a ton of pieces at once to be kinged on the other side.