Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

NastyPBears posted:

Can anyone else remember a specific scene that really sold them on this show?

When Wallace objects that Hamilton was not a President, I went from "this show is great" to "oh poo poo, this show is going to break my heart, isn't it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

escape artist posted:

I love that scene.

You can hear a train whistle in the background just before he falls.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I'm gonna catch up with this thread when I finish Oz, not too worried as I must have seen The Wire five times over by now, but this is my first time through Oz and as of season 4 approximately 99% of the cast was later cast in The Wire. That's one big coincidence I haven't seen addressed in any behind-the-scenes stuff; was someone a big Oz fan, does HBO dip from the same pool of actors a lot, or just a crazy amount of coincidences?

I always assumed it was the Tom Fontana/David Simon/Homicide connection. Sort of like how Clark Johnson gets to have this rich and exciting career within the David Simon universe but he's basically a non-entity outside of it.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Jerusalem posted:

Is anyone else shocked that Levy slaps D'Angelo on the back of the head as he leads him out? I know that most of the top guys have a pretty low opinion of D, but while I can see Levy lambasting him verbally, the humiliation of a slap on the head seems really odd to me.

Replace "shocked that" with "living vicariously when."

I did find that gesture surprising, but I figured it was a reflection of Levy's handle on D's position/esteem within the organization. D had completely hosed up writing that letter. Given Avon's later enforcement mechanisms, I'm not sure how you can be surprised that he'd tolerate that level of disrespect directed at D in that moment. I don't think Levy was acting out of turn at all.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

HoneyBoy posted:

It's even funnier when people like Obama seem to miss the point and praise someone like Omar above all else in the show. Though he was probably just playing it safe, I can't imagine it being beneficial for him to take up with any messages about corruption laden throughout US institutions. If I recall correctly he later had to explain that his liking Omar didn't mean he condoned his behavior.

I'm far from an Obama apologist, but it's a bit loving much to suggest that he of all people has missed the point of The Wire. Like anybody in this thread has as much experience negotiating hosed up institutions in a racist country as the first black man elected President of the United States. Why wouldn't he love Omar? Why wouldn't he embrace the fantasy of striking out on your own and living by your own code? And what danger is there in expressing affection for a show that has a small but overwhelmingly liberal audience? Like FOX News is going to get caught up in the *themes* of The Wire in lieu of the crazy random reductive racist poo poo they push.

I love this show, but Obama's reality makes almost every character in it look like a cartoon by comparison. I'm not even sure where to start in assembling the pieces of him. Throw together the savviest parts of Avon, Stringer & Carcetti and it still comes up short.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Aertuun posted:

It's also fairly bizarre the show never won an Emmy. Not that I think that winning an Emmy is any guarantee or indication of quality, but how did that not happen?

I think the only reasonable explanation is that someone went on a dog killing spree among Emmy voters while wearing a David Simon mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Downward Spiral posted:

The Wire is also most recognized for eschewing so much conceit, so it would seem odd to have the kind of thing bad freshman lit tries to sell you on be such a big deal here, basically lowering the show to the level of cheap literary chicanery.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the trains are a big deal. It's not like the green light in Gatsby where every high school teacher feels the need to make sure everybody got it. It's just one more detail in a very rich show. And tracking the train on rewatch looking for patterns is just appreciating the care that went into the details, I doubt anyone's understanding is going to be revolutionized by it.