Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Hanamura's denial right now feels more like Hagakure's early-game denial than anything. I don't think too much can be read into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Didn't think we'd seen the last of Monami. In fact, based on something I caught in the early opening, I think the poor girl's going to get massacred repeatedly.

I'm more concerned about Sonia. Blast of cynical sociological observation more or less out of nowhere that contrasts what we know about her? She's either going to be a potent ally or the murderer by Case 3 or 4.

And considering all the doomed signs being hung on Togami, it would be hilarious if he survived the entire game again. God knows I didn't expect both him AND Syo to survive the first one.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Cornwind Evil posted:

And considering all the doomed signs being hung on Togami, it would be hilarious if he survived the entire game again. God knows I didn't expect both him AND Syo to survive the first one.

Hmm... Maybe the whole reason he fattened up was so Syo would lose interest in him, thus saving himself from getting scissored like every other guy she got hung up on.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Oh hey, stuff happened while I was away.

I don't know why everyone voted for Togami, I can't imagine we won't find out what his deal is in the main game. And Gundam's probably going to be an Ishimaru type, where you don't really learn much because he's so crazy. I would've gone for Kuzuryuu and Mahiru. Oh well.

Anyway, I had a feeling that Sonia and Gundam would hit it off. After all, who's going to be friends with the weird kid, if not the oblivious girl? Wasn't expecting Hiyoko and Togami, though. :stare: Also, Souda appears to be channeling the Ubergoon. Not a good sign.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
A small warning for people who read manga series.
There is a super Dangan Ronpa 2 manga out.
A what-if approach, but still has spoilers.
Read at your own peril

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Alien Arcana posted:

Oh hey, stuff happened while I was away.

I don't know why everyone voted for Togami, I can't imagine we won't find out what his deal is in the main game. And Gundam's probably going to be an Ishimaru type, where you don't really learn much because he's so crazy. I would've gone for Kuzuryuu and Mahiru. Oh well.

Anyway, I had a feeling that Sonia and Gundam would hit it off. After all, who's going to be friends with the weird kid, if not the oblivious girl? Wasn't expecting Hiyoko and Togami, though. :stare: Also, Souda appears to be channeling the Ubergoon. Not a good sign.

Sonia also likes the occult, and no-one fits that better than Gundam.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

JamMasterJim posted:

A small warning for people who read manga series.
There is a super Dangan Ronpa 2 manga out.
A what-if approach, but still has spoilers.
Read at your own peril

How far is the comic into the game and how far behind are we from it?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Hanamura and Nadai if were still voting. I skipped a page or two

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

the_american_dream posted:

Hanamura and Nadai if were still voting. I skipped a page or two

We've finished voting a while ago, and it seems neither of your choices won. Sorry about that.

vvvvv
Edit: Really! The first page spoils the first death. Ouch, sorry you had to suffer that spoiler so we don't have to, HelloWinter. Nevermind that last part.

vvvvv
vvvvv
And 'the slowbeef approach' is what again?

RefinedUndefined fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 23, 2013

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

How far is the comic into the game and how far behind are we from it?
I've checked, and the first page kind of spoils who dies first. So yeah, don't go look for it. (I'm unspoiled since I just finished playing through DR2 a few days back, so all's good.)

vvvv Nah, I took purely the 'slowbeef approach' with playing this, along with a Japanese walkthrough that Oren kindly referred to me. I only know the crude basics of Japanese. But like slowbeef, I recommend not playing this game with no solid language knowledge or else all of the major plot points and subtle stuff flies right through you. I just did it because my copy arrived in the mail recently and because of my "OH MY GOODNESS DANGAN RONPA" hype.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 23, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Wait, so you can read Japanese too? What can't you do?

...Unless you took the slowbeef approach to Dangan Ronpa, which would still be impressive in its own way.

RefinedUndefined posted:

And 'the slowbeef approach' is what again?
This.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 23, 2013

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

My method of playing through it was "friend fluent in the language translating the gist of conversations while I sat and watched on Remotejoy."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
In regards to the Dangan Ronpa manga: it is a very, very fast paced version of the game from what I saw of the first game's. To give you an idea here is how the first case of the first game is handled.

For starters, it doesn't even have the characters meeting in front of the vault area at all for the first time. It jumps immediately to the gym with Monobear telling everyone about the communion life style, murder to get out and Oowada punching Naegi. Five or six pages later it has Naegi agreeing to switch rooms with Maizono and she goes about how she plans to frame him. It then goes to Maizono attempting to kill Leon, failing and then...well here is the odd thing. In the manga they show Maizono's death as completely accidental. In manga Leon gets his tool kit to open the door so he can reason with Maizono about what happened, not to kill her. They fight over the knife and he accidentally stabs her. This is all of chapter one.

Chapter two deals with discovery, investigation and trial. Junko's death is also covered in about two pages. The trial is ridiculously fast. Naegi and Kirigiri immediately notice and point out the bloody letters, go on to talk about the crystal ball being used and how Leon burned his bloodied shirt. If you think that is bad, the second case is even worse - it doesn't even bother to include Fukawa's storyline or make mention that she's Genocider Syo and the trial is completely cut out.

To put it short, the DR manga is really only for people who have played the games and know the material. Without it, the manga is incredibly fast, improperly paced and not very gripping. It is pretty though.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 24, 2013

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Yeah the manga clearly isn't meant to be read by people who haven't heard of Dangan Ronpa, one major example is that Naegi isn't the main character at all in it since the chapters follow the diferent POV of some of the victims and culprits and some parts get skipped like the chapter 2 trial....

Basically the manga role is to show stuff the game didn't show. So only read it if you care about what Maizono, Leon, Celes etc. were thinking during the game.

I also have no clue if the translation of this manga is even on any manga reading sites, I only read it because a friend sends me links to downloads of the translated chapters that you can find on tumblr and I wouldn't recommend going there to search because of spoilers.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

HelloWinter posted:

vvvv Nah, I took purely the 'slowbeef approach' with playing this, along with a Japanese walkthrough that Oren kindly referred to me. I only know the crude basics of Japanese. But like slowbeef, I recommend not playing this game with no solid language knowledge or else all of the major plot points and subtle stuff flies right through you. I just did it because my copy arrived in the mail recently and because of my "OH MY GOODNESS DANGAN RONPA" hype.

Pretty please don't future-reply. Just make a new post, dude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

ColdPie posted:

HelloWinter is a she. :v:

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

ColdPie posted:

I like how you direct this at HelloWinter and not at RefinedUndefined who was several steps more egregious in this.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
I'm more curious why he bothered mentioning it in the first place. It's not like anyone was future replying to him. Who cares???

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

EdgeryWorthy posted:

Who cares???

Not me. Enough derail.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Note: Continuing directly from last time. In fact, this post even includes the last line of the previous update for your convenience!

That’s right, I should run away!

Having finally arrived at this simple answer, I promptly turned the other way, kicked powerfully at the ground, and set off dashing away from danger.

Almost immediately, I found myself colliding head-on with Enoshima-san.

“How -- ?!”

I fell down right on my butt. It hit the ground so harshly that my entire body turned numb. When I looked up, Enoshima-san stood on the road, blocking my head. I never even saw her move, and yet she somehow appeared behind me before I even started running.

“T...Teleportation?!”

“I prefer ‘shukuchi-jutsu’. I like the pop-culture vibe.”

I felt like it wasn’t just my butt that hit the ground, but rather my anything and everything. It seemed I couldn’t escape her after all. I may have convinced myself I have nothing to do with it, but she will not allow that.

“I think you misunderstand the situation, don’t you agree?” Enoshima-san crouched down and peered into my exhausted eyes. Alarms went off everywhere inside my head -- I mustn’t look into her eyes. Nevertheless, I couldn’t avert my gaze. “I should’ve let you known ahead. Your intentions are irrelevant. What’s relevant is Junko Enoshima’s purposes. That is all. That’s why even thinking about escaping from Junko Enoshima is nonsense. The world itself is Junko Enoshima’s playground, and everyone in it is merely living in it on borrowed time. I’m not talking ‘everything you own is mine’ -- I’m talking, ‘you yourself are mine’. The entire world and all mankind are for Junko Enoshima to do with as she pleases.”

-- What?

It was the most evil, extraordinary, egotistical doctrine. The kind that causes you to feel sick. If she really means all that, I have to resent my own lack of luck for meeting that girl.

“Oh, well. We should return to what we were talking about. The issue of the dead body.” She stood up, recollecting herself, turned to face me and asked a question. “By the way, do you know what Hope’s Peak Academy’s Steering Committee is?”

“...Hope’s Peak Academy’s Steering Committee?” Just to make sure, I checked my notebook, but I couldn’t find mention of that phrase anywhere. It seems I honestly do not know what that is. But, if she mentions that name right now, that probably means --

“Ah, it seems you breached a conclusion! Ah, sorry. I keep messing up my pronunciation. Let me try again. It seems you’ve reached a conclusion!”

Enoshima-san spread both her hands grandiosely, as if she was the master-of-ceremonies of an extravagant show.

“Bin-bingo! That’s right! The dead body that was supposed to be here was a member of Hope’s Peak Academy’s Steering Committee. These guys are much higher ranked than the teaching staff and even the headmaster. That is, they’re the geezers who hold the real power in this school. Hee hee hee, aren’t you excited already?” Growing excited all by herself, she continued. “But, there’s no need to grieve. I mean, him getting killed here is just the way things are meant to be. Yep, it was set up since the very beginning. That’s why no matter how much they try to hide that incident, it’s all useless!”

“......That incident?” I asked without thinking. It was a momentary response I can only call thoughtless. The moment it came out of my mouth, I was bewildered by the fact I even asked it.

“Oh? Oh? Oh? Curious, are you? Of course you are - one can only listen to such a vague name like ‘that incident’ so many times before curiosity takes over, don’t you agree?” Saying that, Enoshima-san struck a pose, her hands on both sides of her waist and her chest puffed high, and declared loudly, “The Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History! That is the true identity of that incident I was talking about!”

The moment I heard those words I was assaulted by a sensation as if some kind of strange fever invaded the inside of my skull. What --? My consciousness went number and number with the scorching heat. At the same time, I absentmindedly wrote those words in my notebook, as if someone was manipulating my hand. “The Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History”.

“Yep, write down everything you hear. That’s a good girl,” Enoshima-san laughed in satisfaction when she saw me do so. “Y’know, you’d make an excellent part-time worker. There’s no manager out there who doesn’t tell new workers on their first day to write down everything they’re taught. But, if someone tried to order me to do something like that, I’d send them straight to hell. I’m not kidding -- straight to hell. First, I’d finish off their family, then their friends and acquaintances, and then, when they’re fully immersed in despair, I’ll wait until they come ask me themselves to please kill them... By the way, who are you?”

“Eh?” I looked up from my notebook in surprise, and saw that the scowl in her eyes increased considerably. Her scathing eyes were looking towards something far behind my back. I turned over at once, but could see nothing but deep black trees in the middle of the night’s darkness.

Nevertheless, Enoshima-san faced the darkness and asked again in a sullen voice, “Hey, I asked you who you are.”

Suddenly, I saw something moving from the corner of my eyes. Then, something swayed up slowly from behind the dense foliage.

“Eh?”

A white mask appeared inside the jet-black scenery. It was a human face. Its whiteness was as pure as if it was covered in white paint.

“Sigh, I guess I’ve been found out.”

Along with the voice, a man’s silhouette became apparent within the darkness. He had a long, slender body, much like a snake stretching upwards. He wore a pitch-black school uniform, and had pitch-black hair dropping down to his shoulders. Black upon black. The white face peeking from the blackness had small, thin, lizard-like eyes carved into it.

“My name... is Isshiki Madarai.” I could hardly see his mouth move.

“Is that so? It’s not like it really matters, but... that’s such a lame name! ‘Junko Enoshima’ is ten billion times cooler!”

I took a sidelong glance at Enoshima-san, being her usual loud self behind me. She didn’t seem much affected by the situation, and flashed her regular overconfident smile.

“That is, indeed, troubling. I have much pride in my name... By the way, that is not the only thing troubling me at present.”

“Huh. I wonder what else there could be?”

“I was hoping to talk to you when you’re alone, but... well... If it’s come to this, I guess I have no choice.”

Madarai took something out of his pocket while he was murmuring. It looked like a photo. He moved his lizard-like eyes back and forth between us and the photo. “......I see. So you’re Junko Enoshima.”

“And what is your business with Junko Enoshima?” she answered without even blinking.

“I have heard a certain rumor.”

“Was it about how Junko Enoshima is transcendently, hopelessly beautiful?”

“There’s that, I guess, but...” Madarai paused for a second, and then continued in a completely different tone of voice. “I also heard that Junko Enoshima was involved in that incident.”

“And that’s what you want to talk about? Ha ha, I’m sorry, that’s impossible!” Enoshima-san wasn’t even slightly unnerved, nor did she lose her smile. “That’s not something a small fry like you has any right to talk about. Know your place!”

“...I thought you’d say that. Well, I guess I won’t get what I want that easily.”

“And what are you gonna do about it? Are you going to force it out violently? Are you an old-fashioned kind of guy? That kind of trite development should stay inside V-Cinema films!”

“...Speaking of being old-fashioned, I am not the type who’d go easy on you just because you’re a woman. I hope that’s not what you’re counting on.” Madarai’s coercive glare shot through us.

Enoshima-san and Madarai glared at each other in a way that almost made the ground itself shake...... But this has nothing to do with me, does it? This is an issue between that boy who called himself Isshiki Madarai and that girl who called herself Junko Enoshima -- I’m not involved at all, so it’s okay for my body to stop shaking with fear now, right?

“Well, then. I hope you two are ready, because --”

“W...Wait a second!” I raised my shaky voice. Both Enoshima-san and Madarai turned their eyes towards me at the same time. “Ah. U...Um, it’s strange that you said ‘you two’ just now. After all, you only have business with --”

“I can’t have one of you running away. Anyone involved with Junko Enoshima is likely to have something to do with the incident themselves,” said Madarai, licking his lips. “Well, if you need someone to blame, blame yourself for getting involved with Junko Enoshima. Furthermore, I’ve been hearing nothing but complaints, but don’t you think this is a pain for me too? I came prepared for one and now I have to deal with two. That’s twice the labour. But, you don’t see me complaining, so why don’t you just keep it to yourself?”

“W...What...?” That was some messed-up reasoning. No, it wasn’t even close to being reasoning at all. It was just overwhelmingly egotistical. But... I guess still not as egotistical as she was.

“Hmmm. I see, I see. You’re brimming with deadly motivation, are you? But, y’see... this girl here is overflowing with deadliness!” said Enoshima-san, stroking my head.

-- Wait, what girl is she talking about?!

“Hey, don’t look so stupified! I’m leaving the rest to you!”

-- Huh? Leaving the rest of what to who?

“Ah! Your face looks just like a fur seal’s! ...But that doesn’t matter now - go ahead and fight him already! That’s your role here, y’know.”

-- M...Me, fighting...?!

“W-W-W-W-What are you talking about?!” I screamed, brushing her hand off the top of my head.

“Oh, it’s fine. You’re a girl who can do anything when you want to. You can even kill when you want to, y’know.”

“Hey. Enough with that kind of talk. ‘Killing’... That’s not a word fit for healthy high-school girls.”, Madarai’s face became distorted with a sarcastic smile.

“Oh? Not a fan of mutual killing?” Enoshima-san scoffed. “Huh. You’re not prepared at all! I’m a little disappointed.”

“...That’s just natural. What use are you to me dead? There are many things I seek answers to, after all. At the very least, I have to keep your mouths working.” Madarai narrowed his lizard eyes even more, and repeated, emphasizing his words. “But just the mouths.” Then, his slender body swayed like the flame of a candle, and started moving slowly towards us.

“Hm. I guess he really is eager.”

“Of course I am. I’ve been waiting for this chance ever since the incident.” Madarai pushed out a tightly gripped fist in front of his chest. It was rugged like a turban snail and didn’t match his snake-like body at all. Should someone be hit with that fist, their face would probably cave in, just like in comic books.

“W-W-W-W-What are we going to do...?” Tears started streaming from my eyes.

“I guess we have no choice after all,” Enoshima-san whispered in a low, stiff tone. Then, she suddenly changed back to her regular clear, cheerful voice. “Go ahead!”

“W... W-W-W-W-W-WAIIIIIIIIIIIIT!”

“Ahahaha! Don’t worry! You’re going to be just fine!” Enoshima-san gripped my shoulders like a bully would. “I’m going to help you, of course. We’ll have you display the full extent of your talent in no time!”

Huh? Talent? My talent?

“Hey, hey - when you’re in trouble, look in your notebook, remember?”

“Ah, yeah...” I turned my eyes down to my notebook following Enoshima-san’s urges, and then --

SMASH!

FWOOOOSH! CRACK!

WHOOP! SWISH! TATATATATA!

Sound effects that should belong in a cartoon reverberated through the area. I looked back up in a conditioned reflex, and --

“......Eh?”

Enoshima-san, who was just behind me a second ago, was now a few meters ahead, exchanging violent blows in a fierce battle with Madarai.

FWASH! ZUBABA! DODODODO!

Madarai used his long limbs like whips as he attacked. His opponent, fashion girl Enoshima-san, was standing her ground. Where the heck did this fighting action come from?!

“Hey! Don’t just stand there looking like a pig in shock!” Enoshima-san yelled at me while performing magnificent tripping techniques as if she was a professional gymnast. “Write everything down in your notebook!” Right then, she delivered a perfect kick, sending Madarai down into the lawn with a short grunt. Nevertheless, he turned his long body like a spinning top, and recovered from his fall still spinning, as if he was breakdancing.

“Whoops!” Enoshima-san jumped and dodged, and Madarai took advantage of the opening to rise back up. Then, without waiting a single second he delivered a straight right. He was clearly too far away for the strike to hit, but his bizarre long arms seemed to ignore the distance. Nevertheless, Enoshima-san dodged his flying fist, and in the same movement stepped up and thrust the tip of her right foot into his abdomen.

“Gufuu -- !” A groan left Madarai’s mouth. The two finally stopped moving.

“Oh, it worked! The Crescent Moon Kick. I wanted to try it ever since I read about it in a magazine.” Enoshima-san didn’t pursue the crouched Madarai, and instead boasted while grinning broadly.

By the way, what even caused this school battle to begin? Am I just forgetting again, or was it really just completely incoherent --

“Hey, I told you not to just stand there looking bewildered!” I was still frozen in place, and Enoshima-san’s irritated voice washed over me. “Write everything down in your notebook! What do you think I’m working so hard for --”

Suddenly, her face flew away. A high-kick as swift as a whip came at her from behind, sending her thin body flying like a scrap of paper.

“Ah!” I raised my voice instinctively, and turned my eyes to where her body was headed.

“......Sigh, that was almost dangerous.” She was posed on her knees, but then stood up as if nothing had happened. There was no visible damage except for a red mark on her left arm. It seemed she tried to use that arm to guard against Madarai’s kick. I wasn’t the only one who thought such a blow should’ve broken her thin arms, though - I could see signs of impatience on Madarai’s scowling face.

“Ha! Nervous ‘cause I’m too strong? Starting to doubt yourself? That’s right! I’m the ultimate weapon fashion-girl who hasn’t lost in over 300 fights!”

“Shut up.” Brushing away her words in anger, Madarai rushed at her once more. Soon, the battle resumed in full force. They both used their right hands, right feet, left hands, left feet, and then their full bodies in a hectic exchange of blows. I simply stood watching, unable to move. Only my hand moved, to write everything down earnestly in my notebook.

Enoshima-san let out a series of exaggerated high-kicks, as though in response to the one that sent her flying before, but Madarai just twisted his mouth into a grin. He carefully avoided the kicks, and then, with perfect timing, lowered his posture and sprang into a tackle. His long hands stretched forward, and were trying to take hold of Enoshima-san’s waist, but --

Enoshima-san’s knee sprung up aiming directly for Madarai’s jaw.

“Ku...!”

Madarai managed to turn away from his tackling target at the last second, and avoided Enoshima-san’s knee by mere millimeters. Nevertheless, he lost his balance and thrust his right hand towards the ground. As soon as he did, Enoshima-san cried, “Hi-yaaaaa!” in a silly voice and delivered a spinning kick at the right half of his body, which had become an open target. Madarai guarded with his left hand in panic -- but he didn’t make it in time. His right temple was hit with Enoshima-san’s intense kick. His slender body flew down towards the ground, swaying back and forth.

“Ah, that was an easy win! Easier than goin’ dancing!” Enoshima-san laughed loudly. “I guess he was all boasty without much to show for it. He should try going back and relearning the basics -- that was really no trouble at all!” She continued to cackle, and then took out a hand mirror from an inside pocket and started resetting her messy hair. Surprisingly, despite the fierce battle she just participated in, she wasn’t even out of breath.

I rushed over to her side, and started cheering. “T...Thank god! Thank god! For a second there I was really worried!”

Enoshima-san’s expression changed in an instant. “Huh?” She gave me the ultimate despising look. “...I think you’re misunderstanding the situation. You don’t think this is settled yet, do you? I mean, that would be an armageddon-level misunderstanding!”

“Eh...?”

Suddenly, I caught a shape slowly rising up from the corner of my eye. It was Madarai.

“H...How?”

“It’s obvious, isn’t it? That kind of kick shouldn’t have sent him flying as grandiosely as he did. He did just what I did before - he let himself fly. Y’know, in order to reduce damage. Well, it’s all because I went a little easy on him, you know -- he wouldn’t have survived otherwise.”

SKKKKRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEE

I heard the unpleasant sound of grinding metal. It came from Madarai’s teeth, which were grinding together so much it almost seemed sparks were going to come out of them.

“H...He’s mad, isn’t he...? I...I think he’s mad...”

My face was fixed on Madarai as I turned my nervous voice towards Enoshima-san, who stood hidden behind me.

“It’s fine. It’s impossible for someone like you to be taken down by someone on his level... Probably.”

“At least be definitive about it!”, I was just about to turn and face her when --

“Never take your eyes off”, Enoshima-san commanded with a sharp voice. “Never take your eyes off the prey. That’s the basics of the basics.”

“P...Prey...?”

But, I’m the one who’s the prey here, aren’t I? Madarai kept grinding his teeth, advancing slowly towards us. I was shaking in fear like a frightened rabbit in front of a bloodthirsty poisonous serpent. There was nothing I could do but turn to rely on Enoshima-san once more --

“What?” Madarai suddenly opened his eyes wide in surprise. “W...When did she --?”

When did she... what? A bad feeling came over my entire body, and I turned around in fear to look behind me.

“............”

Um, what was it she called that? I went over my notebook, and soon remembered. Right, right.

“...Shukuchi-jutsu, huh.”

There was no one behind me anymore. In no time at all, no sign that Enoshima-san was ever there remained.

“It seems you’ve been abandoned...” I heard a man’s voice from behind me. I turned around once more. Madarai was suddenly standing right before of my eyes, looking down at me with vicious eyes. “But, there is no need to resent anyone. I shall settle things properly with her later. It is just the order that changed.”

Having been handed what sounded like a death sentence, I came to realise the fundamental error that occupied my thoughts until that moment. I was an idiot for thinking I could rely on Enoshima-san. But, this is no time for complaints! I have to do something!

Then, as my faltering eyes turned down to my notebook, I heard Madarai’s voice from above.

“...Huh. You must be really confident if you’re reading a notebook at a time like this.”

“U...Um, excuse me...” I couldn’t even bring my head up again. I couldn’t even grasp the content of what I was reading, but I still flipped through the pages. I couldn’t find a breakthrough solution to my problems, but I did my best to come up with an excuse to give me some time.

“W...Wait one second... You said you were investigating The Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History, didn’t you? I...In that case I won’t be much help to you at all. I mean, I know absolutely nothing about that --”

“How did you know that, then?” Madarai’s voice turned to ice and made me shiver even more.

“K...Know what?”

“All I said before was that I was looking into ‘that incident’. Nevertheless, you seem to know I was talking about The Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History.” I looked up. The sharpness in Madarai’s eyes seemed to grow tenfold. My first thought was to escape those eyes, so I looked down at my notebook again.

“U...Um, you see, that’s... I... I just heard that name recently by accident. Yes... that’s definitely what happened...”

“There are not many people in this academy who even know about that incident or its title. The fact that you two spoke about it... it seems my suspicions were exactly right.”

I didn’t need to even look anymore. I could imagine Madarai’s lizard eyes twisting towards me in laughter. Shivers went down my spine. My arms and legs stiffened. I couldn’t move at all.

-- It’s over.

I can’t be sure about it, but this is probably the first time in my life I was conscious of my own mortality. Of course, at times like this there’s just one thing that comes to my empty head.

-- Matsuda-kun.

Yes, my beloved Matsuda-kun. But, of course, the memories don’t come flashing inside my head like a revolving lantern. All I can remember is my feelings towards him. Therefore, I whispered his name again and again inside my heart. I had to remember...

Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun...

-- Huh?

Um, let’s try that again.

Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun... Matsuda-kun......

-- H...Huh......?

That’s strange. Something isn’t right.

“I can’t... remember...?”

Suddenly, my entire body was abuzz. I was assaulted by an unprecedented sense of fear and loneliness when I realized I couldn’t remember Matsuda-kun.

-- Is this what loss feels like?

It was a hellish feeling like I never felt before. A terrible feeling, as if parts of my body were bitten off by evil demons.

“What is it? Your face is terribly pale.”

“......Eh?” The second I looked back up at Madarai, I understood what was happening. The fear the man in front of my eyes cast over me took control over all my emotions. That’s why I couldn’t remember my feelings for Matsuda-kun.

“Your face looks like the face of someone who is about to be attacked.” He cackled at his own unfunny joke.

-- Matsuda-kun Matsuda-kun.

Even swallowed by fear, I continued whispering his name inside my heart. My emotions did not respond. Nevertheless, I continued to whisper frantically. It was almost like a prayer.

-- I want to see Matsuda-kun’s face. I want to hear Matsuda-kun’s voice. I want to smell Matsuda-kun. I want to touch Matsuda-kun. I want to meet Matsuda-kun. I want to meet Matsuda-kun. I want to meet Matsuda-kun.

Suddenly, something changed.

My heart beat loudly, and my blood, which had until now been circulating nowhere in particular, began to flow into my limbs again. A surprising sense of heat melted the fear that was keeping my body frozen.

-- I want to meet Matsuda-kun.

I repeated the mantra several more times, and soon completely forgot the fear that was controlling my feelings.

-- I want to meet Matsuda-kun! I want to meet Matsuda-kun! I want to meet Matsuda-kun!

“I want to... meet Matsuda-kun......”

“......Hm?”

Madarai perceived the change in me and put some distance between us immediately. It seems that despite his looks, he was a cautious man... and that I reclaimed my composure enough to make that analysis. With that newfound composure I turned back to read my notebook once again, from the beginning. All of a sudden, my eyes stopped on the very first page.

There was an explanation regarding my talent written there.

It’s strange that I never noticed it until now. It must be the power of love Matsuda-kun granted me!

-- I’m going to meet Matsuda-kun! I’m going to meet Matsuda-kun! I’m going to meet Matsuda-kun!

It was no longer just my heart’s desire. It was now my clear goal, birthing a rekindled fever inside me.

“......Please step away,” I declared to Madarai, raising my head from the notebook, “I’m going to meet Matsuda-kun!”

“Who the hell is that? Never mind that, what made you come back to life so suddenly?”

“Love, of course!” I yelled in triumph. “My power of love for Matsuda-kun!” I yelled unabashedly.

“I... agree that love is not something to be trifled with... It urges people to take unimaginable actions, and sometimes drives them to madness... although I’m not sure that’s what’s happening here.”

“...In any case, don’t stand in my way!” I scowled fiercely at Madarai.

“Or maybe, it’s desperation that’s driving you now? That would be a bother. You can never know what desperate people are going to do. It doesn’t matter if they’re weak or strong, it’s always a bother.”

“Shut up and move, already!”

“You’re... truly a strange woman.”

He lowered his center of weight, and crouched into a low posture. He must be attempting to preempt any possible attack. But --

It has nothing to do with me.

Something like that cannot hope to extinguish the red flame burning inside me!

-- I’m going to meet Matsuda-kun! I’m going to meet Matsuda-kun! I’m going to meet Matsuda-kun!

I defenselessly stepped forward in determination, my hand still holding the open notebook. In reaction, Madarai lowered his center of gravity even more, and prepared a clenched fist next to his lower back. He was ready for war. Nevertheless, it didn’t seem like he was going to make the first move. He was extremely alert. I was right - he really does have a cautious personality.

But --

No, because of that --

I stopped right there, and yelled one more declaration.

“Checkmate, Isshiki Madarai!”

“What the hell? That’s a lame catchphrase......”

“......Checkmate, Isshiki Madarai!”

I couldn’t think of any other catchphrase, so I repeated the same one again. Like a wild animal about to swoop down on its prey, I slowly lowered my own center of gravity. I concentrated my entire body’s strength into my two legs, and as soon as it was all accumulated --

-- I released it all at once!

I kicked the ground violently using every bit of stored energy, and started running as if my body erupted from an explosion -- away from Madarai, who was still on the alert.

“H...Hey!”

I heard Madarai’s bewildered voice far behind me. It seemed he was not prepared for this development at all. Running, I opened my notebook to its first page again, and checked the explanation about my talent one more time.

That’s right. This is my talent. My one and only way to come out of this situation winning.

I don’t remember it, though, so it still doesn’t feel quite real.

After a very short while I could hear running footsteps chasing me. I decided to put my predictions to the test. What is the man chasing me thinking right now? I’m pretty sure --

I’m pretty sure he’s thinking something like, “now that’s truly a strange woman.”

orenronen fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 24, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man, this book is really weird.

I sure hope it makes some sense at the end!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
...Super High School Level Willpower? That seems to be the only thing that makes sense. The will to do whatever she wants, whenever she wants. Still I don't get how she never even thought to look at the start of the notebook and find her talent explained there. Or maybe she did and completely forgot it, but you still think she would think to look at the beginning every now and then even after forgetting.

Also I think chapter sold me on Junko officially. She's completely ridiculous and wacky, but very entertaining in that sense. Not the average "I killed because I was bored" villain at all.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Huh. I certainly wasn't expecting Junko to be good at hand-to-hand combat...though I suppose that's more a result of not expecting to see a fight scene like that. :psyduck:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Minus Green posted:

Huh. I certainly wasn't expecting Junko to be good at hand-to-hand combat...though I suppose that's more a result of not expecting to see a fight scene like that. :psyduck:

Well, Monobear was being controlled by her, and Monobear could fight evenly with Sakura, so I guess it's consistent at least. :stare:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Minus Green posted:

Perhaps she's getting some pointers from her sister? A model has to look good after all, and healthy exercise is one way to ensure that. Too bad her mind's already a mess.

Also, what's V-Cinema, if I may ask? Would I spoil myself if I Google it?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Minus Green posted:

Well she was able to fight hand-to-paw with Sakura (via Monobear, but still).

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

CommissarMega posted:

Also, what's V-Cinema, if I may ask? Would I spoil myself if I Google it?

Japanese direct-to-video industry.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
This fight is another victim of the "everyone keeps talking nonstop even in really intense fights" syndrome.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Well, Monobear was being controlled by her, and Monobear could fight evenly with Sakura, so I guess it's consistent at least. :stare:

Seriously, I think Junko has a good chance of winning even if she fights in person.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

orenronen posted:

Saying that, Enoshima-san stroke a pose

I think this should be "struck a pose."

As for Ryouko's talent... I'm not quite sure how to put it into words, exactly. It's almost like she's predicting his thoughts and actions based on analyzing his body language or something like that.

orenronen posted:

... It seems that despite his looks, he was a cautious man... and that I reclaimed my composure enough to make that analysis.

... He lowered his center of weight, and crouched into a low posture. He must be attempting to preempt any possible attack.

... He was ready for war. Nevertheless, it didn't seem like he was going to make the first move. He was extremely alert. I was right - he really does have a cautious personality.

... It seemed he was not prepared for this development at all.

... After a very short while I could hear running footsteps chasing me. I decided to put my predictions to the test. What is the man chasing me thinking right now?

... I'm pretty sure he's thinking something like, "Now that's truly a strange woman."

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

lotus circle posted:

...Super High School Level Willpower? That seems to be the only thing that makes sense. The will to do whatever she wants, whenever she wants.

It doesn't make sense when you consider what Matsuda told her in an earlier chapter, though. "Don't try to use your SHSL skill on me." There's also Whatsherface deciding to "test her predictions" on Madarai by extrapolating what he was thinking. Whoever mentioned SHSL Psychoanalysis earlier may have been on the right track.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Minus Green posted:

Huh. I certainly wasn't expecting Junko to be good at hand-to-hand combat...

I assumed that, after the "shukuchi-jutsu", we were talking to Mukuro. It'd explain the combat expertise. And the "teleportation."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Two Inch Bee posted:

I assumed that, after the "shukuchi-jutsu", we were talking to Mukuro. It'd explain the combat expertise. And the "teleportation."

Can't be. She was way, way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too over the top to be Mukuro posing as Junko. Junko even mentioned in the final trial of the first game that Mukuro couldn't do a good job of emulating her personality correctly.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Two Inch Bee posted:

The guy was able to land a hit that left a mark. Mukuro never had any visible damage on her body aside from the ones delivered by Monobear's spears.

This just means that some of that combat ability was genetic, even if Junko never realized to the extent that Mukuro did.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just a guess at this point, but I'm starting to think Ryouko's talent is copying other people. Like a SHSL Mimic or something. Junko keeps telling her to pay attention and take notes while fighting Madarai. And Ryouko runs away extremely fast, which may be her copying the 'shukuchi-jutsu' / teleportation that Junko does. Maybe that's why she can't remember much, because she's accumulated so much skills and knowledge over her time that the sheer amount has forced her to forget stuff. Though then again, brains probably don't work that way in real life.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Carrasco posted:

The guy was able to land a hit that left a mark. Mukuro never had any visible damage on her body aside from the ones delivered by Monobear's spears.

This just means that some of that combat ability was genetic, even if Junko never realized to the extent that Mukuro did.

It left a bruise. That's not a mark, or a scar.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Just a guess at this point, but I'm starting to think Ryouko's talent is copying other people. Like a SHSL Mimic or something.
SHSL Fast Learner, maybe? That could explain why she has such a horrible memory - she's naturally inclined to have enough free "mental space" to pick up things that could be useful. So Junko having her write it down allows her to study it both visually and in text and learn it. I dunno, maybe it's all baseless conjecture on my end. Plus, that wouldn't quite explain why her Long-Term Memory is so bad when a SHSL Fast Learner would most likely just have bad Short Term tops. If at all.

Either way, I'm actually kind of curious what her SHSL ability actually is.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Can't be. She was way, way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too over the top to be Mukuro posing as Junko. Junko even mentioned in the final trial of the first game that Mukuro couldn't do a good job of emulating her personality correctly.

I agree that the Junko we see over here is too over the top to be Mukuro, but if she wasn't that crazy, I will guess her to be Mukuro as well since Ryouko would not have remembered how Junko is supposed to look like.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kobold posted:

SHSL Fast Learner, maybe? That could explain why she has such a horrible memory - she's naturally inclined to have enough free "mental space" to pick up things that could be useful.

Season 2 of the TV show Alphas had a character exactly like this. She could pick up any skill instantly just by observing it. The downside was that while she kept any skills she learned, she could only remember the events in her life from the past 3 weeks or so. Ryouko obviously forgets things much more quickly, but maybe they're going for a similar idea.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
I think her SHSL skill is Chess Player. Her ability to see what the other's intended moves were, her 'Mind heavy' SHSL skill, the "Chessmate" quote... There are a lot of things I might be missing, but Chess Player seems to be the one skill that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Jeek posted:

I agree that the Junko we see over here is too over the top to be Mukuro, but if she wasn't that crazy, I will guess her to be Mukuro as well since Ryouko would not have remembered how Junko is supposed to look like.
Thing is, there's no reason for this to be Mukuro. We know that Mukuro only disguised herself as Junko because she was asked to as part of their plan. This is long before all of that ever happens and Junko knows Ryouko is likely to forget everything so there's no need to worry so much.

Really I see no reason to doubt that the Junko we see is the real Junko Enoshima. Looking at how Mukuro pretended to be Junko and how Junko is really like from the class trial, I say the latter fits more than the former by far in this situation. Thinking it to be Mukuro seems like unnecessary over-complication.

• Locked thread